Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

I found myself falling into the try new recipes trap and was cooking and prepping stuff all the time, as well as spending money on more spices. But this week I think I've found a good middle road, we know what some favorites are, and we're sticking with simple recipes and will try others on weekends or after Whole 30.

I guess you could say I'm in that trap as well, but I'm enjoying it (so far). There are SO MANY good-looking recipes I want to try from Well Fed, paleomg, and the gazillions of other websites I've found with paleo recipes. Plus, I'm stumbling into some on my own.

For example, the caramelized coconut flakes with cinnamon from Well Fed are SO DELICIOUS that I've been trying to figure out what else to put them on. I landed on: 1/2 banana sliced, a dab of almond nut butter and the toasted coconut with cinnamon sprinkled on top.

But, a trip to Krogers got me some more veggies and new things that I haven't tried yet...almond butter, celery root and parsnips. I enjoy following the recipes I am finding in my Well Fed cookbook and on Pinterest ( a bunch of new ones thanks to Melissa's FB post)!

I think you'll be really glad you discovered almond butter. Not sure if you got the raw kind (which is like, 3 times as expensive as the non-raw), but I find that the raw almond nut butter doesn't trigger me to keep eating it. I have yet to try celery root & parsnips myself.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an appointment at my endocrinologist on February 8. He's planning to run a full panel on me this time around to check my insulin resistance. I know he's going to happy with the results :)

<snip>

AWESOME foods - jicama home fries, scrambled eggs in coconut oil, roasted butternut squash. Yum! I am stronger than I give myself credit. It's only 30 days. I can do this!

My endocrinologist visit isn't until March, so I am hoping to keep this going until then except for a few special occasions (like SpaWorld for my birthday, and maybe a cooking class at a farm that is all about meat prep but I am prepared for things to sneak in). She's been complaining that my numbers (thyroid) were not getting better despite increases in my medication. We shall see! I know we'll be done with our 30 days by February 8th but PLEASE post and tell us what happens!

I love scrambled eggs in coconut oil. I have since I got my first gallon a few years ago. I, too, discovered the beauty of roasted butternut squash. When it's cubed and roasted each bite is so tender and delicious!

The main reason I decided to chime in today was because of my personal "Whole30 Timeline." If you're getting the Whole30 Daily, you know that most people are sluggish/extra sleepy in days 6 & 7. Not me!!! Today was that day! I could barely function at the gym tonight. Oh, and I just can't get enough sleep! I would sleep all day if I didn't have a job...

I am a little delayed on that timeline, too. I did sleep REALLY well last night, though! Come back and post often! :)

I feel really lucky that I had these first two weeks off of work (I go back next Tuesday but it will be a light week) as I have been cooking a lot too and figuring things out. The grill is our best friend right now and we have kind of mapped out a dinner plan. My concern is the last two weeks I will be teaching two long days (2-9 get home around 9:30). I don't have time to eat as I have classes/labs back to back and sometimes I barely have time to pee. I am going to eat Meal 2 at 1 pm and bring a mixed nut mix and quick snack veggies (snap peas and carrots) to try and eat between classes. Does anyone have any better suggestions? I don't have a refrigerator to rely on. I don't want to eat a big meal when I get home. I hate that these 2 days will throw me off schedule so much. I don't like the taste of the yolk of boiled eggs (the whites are fine) or those would be a great fast protein. I have to scramble eggs or in quiches. I want to continue the Paleo lifestyle (witht he occastional splurges). I feel better than I ever have energy wise.

I have noticed that when I eat around 9am, and it's a pretty big meal (lately a couple handmade patties of sausage, two scrambled eggs with coconut oil, probably about 1/2 cup cooked veggies and 1/4 cup sauerkraut) that I don't really get *hungry* until about 3. I would suggest eating a big meal like that before you go, then take your mixed nuts/veggies just in case. Canned sardines are a REALLY good option (Nom Nom Paleo keeps them as her emergency protein, that's where I got the idea) just don't forget a fork. Maybe a can of olives? They've got some good fats to keep you going.

I'm so glad someone mentioned the lack of hunger after a big meal. I usually at around 9 (it's 9:15 now, so I'm a little delayed), and I don't really get hungry until 2:30 or 3. It's happened 3 days now. Yesterday I ate two scrambled eggs in coconut oil, two little handmade patties of sausage, about 1/4 cup of sauerkraut and about 1/2 cup roasted brussels sprouts. Come 3 I had a warmed up chicken thigh, more brussels sprouts and some butternut squash. Around 6:15 I needed to eat something because I was headed to ballet/pilates, so I had the leg portion, the few bites of squash/sprouts that I hadn't finished, and a big salad of mixed greens with an olive oil/apple cider vinaigrette using Fox Point seasoning from Penzey's. That was *perfect* and it kept me going.

This was my first class back after winter break. Leading up to winter break I was hitting up 7-11 on my way home for a candy bar. It was bizarre, I felt the urge to do it but didn't. It helped having a friend with me (it was Bring A Friend day).

Today I'm going to the grocery store and then I need to get some cooking done for the next few days. I am out of brussels sprouts and butternut squash. I'm going to roast another squash and some cauliflower. For the first time in my life I am actually enjoying my little salads with dinner so I need to get some mixed greens. I'll get more chicken thighs to bake off and keep in the fridge. They're so easy to heat up in some coconut oil on the stove to serve with some veggies for lunch.

What is your system? I've kind of fallen into a routine where I cook heavily every 3-4 days. I bake off a bunch of chicken thighs or legs (or a whole chicken earlier this week), several veggies, and then I spend the next few days enjoying the fruits of my labor. It allows me to be able to cook for my family and still have something on plan that doesn't require a ton of prep. Granted, the family isn't getting the "best" out of me, but I said that for 30 days they could have stuff that at least was better than the fast food we were eating! Last night they got spaghetti. Still better than Mcdonald's right? I'm trying not to feel guilty.

Another challenging day ahead. I'm running on lack of sleep and am eating on the go until dinner. I did the breakfast stop already. I ended up with 2 poached eggs (local, pastured, organic), 2 patties of chicken sausage (compliant...I know the source), and a cup of strawberries and blueberries. There really wasn't an option for veggies that would work. Well, I could have asked for plain greens but that hit me too late. Anyway, I'm not feeling like it was substantial enough and that maybe the fruit is too much natural sugar. I'll survive.

The next meeting is a lunch meeting. The person I'm meeting with picked the restaurant saying, "it's gluten free so you should have some options." Very sweet of him to remember. I've have a gluten intolerance (not celiac, delayed reaction) and this business colleague is so kind and accommodating. I quickly browsed the menu to see there were ways I could put together at least a decent salad. Looks good. I am carrying my own salad dressing as well as some olives and macadamia nuts just in case.

I'm on a dead run for the remainder of this week, it appears. If I can't before then, I will definitely have time this weekend to do some planning for food/sleep/Hermit Time*, cooking ahead, and stocking of 911 options.

*I am quite the introvert, much to the surprise of those around me. When I have these weeks of running around and meeting, I need to balance it with lots and lots of calm, quiet, alone time. This is what I call my Hermit Time.

Finally, I want to take a moment to thank all of you for posting and liking and replying and all that. It's huge - huge - for me to not feel alone in this journey.

Another challenging day ahead. I'm running on lack of sleep and am eating on the go until dinner. I did the breakfast stop already. I ended up with 2 poached eggs (local, pastured, organic), 2 patties of chicken sausage (compliant...I know the source), and a cup of strawberries and blueberries. There really wasn't an option for veggies that would work. Well, I could have asked for plain greens but that hit me too late. Anyway, I'm not feeling like it was substantial enough and that maybe the fruit is too much natural sugar. I'll survive.

The next meeting is a lunch meeting. The person I'm meeting with picked the restaurant saying, "it's gluten free so you should have some options." Very sweet of him to remember. I've have a gluten intolerance (not celiac, delayed reaction) and this business colleague is so kind and accommodating. I quickly browsed the menu to see there were ways I could put together at least a decent salad. Looks good. I am carrying my own salad dressing as well as some olives and macadamia nuts just in case.

I'm on a dead run for the remainder of this week, it appears. If I can't before then, I will definitely have time this weekend to do some planning for food/sleep/Hermit Time*, cooking ahead, and stocking of 911 options.

*I am quite the introvert, much to the surprise of those around me. When I have these weeks of running around and meeting, I need to balance it with lots and lots of calm, quiet, alone time. This is what I call my Hermit Time.

Finally, I want to take a moment to thank all of you for posting and liking and replying and all that. It's huge - huge - for me to not feel alone in this journey.

Ooooh poached eggs sound so good right now. I need to learn how to make them. I usually default to scrambled.

That is super nice of your colleague! It's nice to have those people in your life right when you need them!

Thank you for posting, as well. I get the hermit time. I haven't had any quiet time to myself in close to a month between winter break and flu. I am hoping to go out this weekend at some point for some plain hot tea at Starbucks and a book.

Ooooh poached eggs sound so good right now. I need to learn how to make them. I usually default to scrambled.

That is super nice of your colleague! It's nice to have those people in your life right when you need them!

Thank you for posting, as well. I get the hermit time. I haven't had any quiet time to myself in close to a month between winter break and flu. I am hoping to go out this weekend at some point for some plain hot tea at Starbucks and a book.

In between meetings, I've just landed at Starbucks to set up my mobile office, cram some earbuds in my ears, and drink some iced unsweetened green tea. Check that. Earbuds are awol. So it will be ambient sound for me today.

Day 9 and feeling good. Always feel satisfied after a meal, never like I ate too much. I feel less of a need to hunt for something sweet before bedtime too - yeah! but i have some questions to throw out....Now that I'm paying attention to labels more, I noticed my lemon juice has an added preservative called sodium bisulfate. Not sulfite, sulfate. Anyone know about this? I'm going to try and find an alternative with zero or less additives. Silly me for thinking lemon juice would have more than lemons in it! Also there is no mention of cranberries in ISWF or the shopping list. I assume ok? And I just realized I probably shouldn't have had those sprouted mung beans in my breakfast this morning....technically a legume. Did I just blow it?

I enjoy reading everyone's posts...it keeps me motivated.

Cheers!

For Helen and Torena - one of the "cook aheads" I do almost every single weekend is pull together a large tub of either tuna salad or chicken salad - lots of veggies, homemade mayo, hard boiled egg. That leaves me with several lunches or small meals that I can carry in a small cooler wherever I need to go - I buy salad greens by the large tub so I can easily eat the tuna/chicken salad over greens or spinach if I have the time. For Helen (who faces very long workdays into the evening, when I'm heading to bed!), you might consider whether you could get a meal like this "on the run" instead of delaying your meal so late into the evening. From what I've read, delaying your meal when you're so hungry slows down your metabolism. Other ideas if you just need a carry over (in addition to sardines, which I admit I've not tried) are a hard boiled egg or roll ups with deli meat and avocado and salsa (or homemade guacamole, which is fabulous) inside. I try to focus on a combo of protein and healthy fats instead of veggies (especially the higher carb veggies like carrots and pea pods) because they handle hunger better.

We have an out of town visitation and funeral to go to this weekend so I will have to rely on eating out for every single meal for the first time since I started my Whole 30. So today's daily email was very timely. I'm going to try to Google restaurants in the area before we leave on Friday and bring some emergency supplies (sparkling water, some hard boiled eggs, some deli meat roll-ups, and some cut up veggies). I'm thankful I've been on the Paleo road for 1 1/2 years already so I know I can do this without a problem....but I'm still open to any other suggestions any of you have.

It's day 9 and I'm really starting to feel the "magic" - psyched that it's happening already as I can't wait to see how much better it will get by the end of 30 days. I had the best sleep of my Whole 30 last night, my cheekbones are prominent again, I'm about to put this pair of jeans into the "too big" pile, and have tons of energy. Yay!!!

I continue to be impressed with your flexibility and creativity around these day-to-day obstacles! You're really shining in these real-world scenarios. (I'm over here in my cave, avoiding restaurants and all their dangerous, alluring off-plan food...)

Keep up the great work!

Hello everyone! I also started on the 1st. My main goal of course is improved health. And also to get rid of the sugar dragon and snacking issues. It was hard to break the snacking once I returned back to work this Monday as this is where I will have a snack mid morning. But today I added healthy fat to my breakfast and that did the trick to help me last until lunch, yay! I had a hard boiled egg and a small spoonful of homemade almond butter pre-workout at 5am then 2 more hb eggs and almond butter on my way to work.

I feel good today.

I do find I am a slave in the kitchen. I did a lot of prep before I started, grilled lots of meat. But not so much this past weekend. Still making it through the week though.

I have made my own ghee, mayo, coffee creamer, and almond butter, pretty proud!

Good luck with continued success to all!

Day 8 and I'm feeling pretty good. I discovered ghee the other day, and I am in love. I was tasting a little to much coconut oil in some things, so it is nice to have an alternative. Can anyone recommend a good brand of coconut oil? I am using the Whole Foods brand right now. I also made my own mayo over the weekend and used it for homemade ranch. I had a lunch meeting today, where I confirmed in advance there would be salad, and brought my own dressing to use on it.

Tropical Traditions is the best coconut oil around, however my costco has 72 oz for $22 Nutiva. It is organic, extra virgin, that price is CRAZY good!!!

Tropical Traditions is the best coconut oil around, however my costco has 72 oz for $22 Nutiva. It is organic, extra virgin, that price is CRAZY good!!!

Wow! I will have to ask Costco-membered friends to check the one around here for a similar deal.

Day 9, going strong. I was able to shop and get stuff that we can all eat as a family. We had a Wagyu beef tenderloin, that was a gift from a friend. Last night I made chicken soup with noodles on the side for the fam. soo good. leftovers tonight. Oh, hamburgers one night. so happy I am not cooking more than one dinner a night.

I had one "Ima gonna kill you" night. Crazy dreams are gone. Sleep is back. Headache today. Body is shrinking, recovery from workouts is quicker. Im awake and energetic during the day and when it is time for bed, oh my, I am ready!!! I regularly make homecooked, from scratch meals for my family, but now the prep time and cooking is wayyyy more, since I am cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner. im gonna have hard boiled eggs ready, I also grilled up some meat in advance so its ready to go to help with this and leftovers are my friend! It feels wierd that it is 'okay', to eat a whole avacado. so glad I do not have to weigh and measure and that fat is my friend.

I bought some grass fed beef ribs and bbqed them to eat and to keep the bones for broth. FAIL. Ribs were sooooo tough I could barely bite them and the bones were too singed and the broth was burnt tasting. I threw it out. I agree that gass fed beef is hard to get used to for the gamey-ness.

All in all, I think things are going great.

I continue to be impressed with your flexibility and creativity around these day-to-day obstacles! You're really shining in these real-world scenarios. (I'm over here in my cave, avoiding restaurants and all their dangerous, alluring off-plan food...)

Keep up the great work!

Me too. I've been sitting here thinking how thankful I am to work from home in my little home office where I am only subjected to the ocassional obnoxiousness of my husband. I am super impressed by all of you who are out in the real world getting it done!!

I think you'll be really glad you discovered almond butter. Not sure if you got the raw kind (which is like, 3 times as expensive as the non-raw), but I find that the raw almond nut butter doesn't trigger me to keep eating it. I have yet to try celery root & parsnips myself.

I have tried and not liked almond butter in the jar. This is pure ground up almonds. They have those big serve yourself machines. It was good, much better than the jarred version. I'll probably try to make my next batch on my own...maybe. I'll have to compare the prices. It may be cheaper at the store.

I'm going to try to make ghee this weekend as well as attempt my first batch of mayo. I've never really been a big mayo fan (I much prefer mustard), but I'd like to do some deviled eggs and tuna/chicken salad so I think I am going to have a go. My only problem is that I don't have a proper food processor or blender right now. But I do have a small one that will suffice, I think.

Also going to do a cook ahead this weekend. I'll have a lot of time by myself so it will be a great time to get myself set up for the week!

It's day 9 and I'm really starting to feel the "magic" - psyched that it's happening already as I can't wait to see how much better it will get by the end of 30 days. I had the best sleep of my Whole 30 last night, my cheekbones are prominent again, I'm about to put this pair of jeans into the "too big" pile, and have tons of energy. Yay!!!

Congrats, I can't wait to see cheekbones and to get rid of this double chin!!

I have made my own ghee, mayo, coffee creamer, and almond butter, pretty proud!

Good luck with continued success to all!

You have inspired me to try to do the same (well no coffee creamer) this weekend!!

Sounds like everyone is doing really well. We all just need to keep focused. So happy to have this thread to visit when things are tough!

I have noticed that when I eat around 9am, and it's a pretty big meal (lately a couple handmade patties of sausage, two scrambled eggs with coconut oil, probably about 1/2 cup cooked veggies and 1/4 cup sauerkraut) that I don't really get *hungry* until about 3. I would suggest eating a big meal like that before you go, then take your mixed nuts/veggies just in case. Canned sardines are a REALLY good option (Nom Nom Paleo keeps them as her emergency protein, that's where I got the idea) just don't forget a fork. Maybe a can of olives? They've got some good fats to keep you going.

Great ideas ! I honestly have never eaten sardines but I will try them. Also, the olives are brilliant. Thank you!

For Helen and Torena - one of the "cook aheads" I do almost every single weekend is pull together a large tub of either tuna salad or chicken salad - lots of veggies, homemade mayo, hard boiled egg. That leaves me with several lunches or small meals that I can carry in a small cooler wherever I need to go - I buy salad greens by the large tub so I can easily eat the tuna/chicken salad over greens or spinach if I have the time. For Helen (who faces very long workdays into the evening, when I'm heading to bed!), you might consider whether you could get a meal like this "on the run" instead of delaying your meal so late into the evening. From what I've read, delaying your meal when you're so hungry slows down your metabolism. Other ideas if you just need a carry over (in addition to sardines, which I admit I've not tried) are a hard boiled egg or roll ups with deli meat and avocado and salsa (or homemade guacamole, which is fabulous) inside. I try to focus on a combo of protein and healthy fats instead of veggies (especially the higher carb veggies like carrots and pea pods) because they handle hunger better.

I think that is what I will do (bring a cooler). I can't eat in my lab but there are some couches in the student area I could go to. But I need to figure this out for sure. The days I get no breaks are usually in the beginning of the semester. I was just thinking I need to make tuna salad.

Day 8 today and things are going well. I have kind of settled into a routine and things are not too hard. I did REALLY want to have wine last night! I feel good that I have stuck to eatting well and I've been working out but overall I really can't tell if anything is changing. I did experience a few headaches the first few days but now things just seem normal, except for that I am constipated! Sorry, gross I know but is anyone else having this issue?

OK, you have all inspired me to try to make mayo soon. I'll be making another batch of guacamole as soon as my avocados reach the right ripeness, and my bf made some raw cashew butter (which is pretty tasty)... I *need* to get more fat into my Whole 30. You spend your whole life trying to avoid fat, I am having a hard time getting used to adding it back in!!

Archived