Crio Bru

Melelina

About a year ago, I cut way back on my wine consumption and substituted a product called Crio Bru instead. So now when we are watching tv at night, I sip on my Crio Bru.

I typically have it with some almond milk and artificial sweetener in it, and I know those are a no-go and I will have to learn to drink it black. However, if I can manage that, is it an approved drink?

"Crio Brü is made from 100%, perfectly roasted cocoa beans. Nothing more, nothing less. No sugar, no chemicals, no gluten, no dairy."

For a 6 oz. glass, the NI is: 10 calories; 0 fat; 0 sodium; 1.5 g carbs; and 0 sugar.

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators

By searching on "Crio Bru" I found this... http://forum.whole9l...__fromsearch__1

Update: I found this on the Amazon.com site regarding Crio Bru... Here is what Dr. Oz said about brewed cocoa on this year's season premiere: "This is a really cool idea. It's a unique product. You can buy it online. I think this is something really worth trying. Here's what I love about it. It's why it can help you burn fat faster. It has a natural stimulant, not caffeine, it's called theobromine that can boost your metabolism. It's very safe. It also has a fat blocker. It helps get rid of the fat in your body by blocking an enzyme you need to digest fat, so you never absorb the fat into your body."

Dr. Oz is NOT one of my gurus. If the fat blocker statement is real and not hype, that would make Crio Bru an awful, unhealthy drink. We need fat in our diets. We need fat to absorb vitamins. Anything that interferes with fat digestion is bad for health and should be avoided. I'm not saying you can't drink Crio Bru during a Whole30, but not digesting fat is an awful idea.

Thanks, Tom. I am embarrassed to say that I didn't do a search. I figured Crio Bru was unusual enough that the question wouldn't have been asked before. Next time, I will do a search. I promise. :)

When I went to the site to get the info before my post, I did read that blurb from Dr. Oz. I am not a fan of him. I can't see any way it can "have" a fat blocker. Since cacao isn't a fat blocker (not that I have ever heard, anyway), and the product is pure cacoa, I am going to ignore good ol' Dr. Oz.

The challenge is going to be drinking it black. :P

By searching on "Crio Bru" I found this... http://forum.whole9l...__fromsearch__1

Update: I found this on the Amazon.com site regarding Crio Bru... Here is what Dr. Oz said about brewed cocoa on this year's season premiere: "This is a really cool idea. It's a unique product. You can buy it online. I think this is something really worth trying. Here's what I love about it. It's why it can help you burn fat faster. It has a natural stimulant, not caffeine, it's called theobromine that can boost your metabolism. It's very safe. It also has a fat blocker. It helps get rid of the fat in your body by blocking an enzyme you need to digest fat, so you never absorb the fat into your body."

Dr. Oz is NOT one of my gurus. If the fat blocker statement is real and not hype, that would make Crio Bru an awful, unhealthy drink. We need fat in our diets. We need fat to absorb vitamins. Anything that interferes with fat digestion is bad for health and should be avoided. I'm not saying you can't drink Crio Bru during a Whole30, but not digesting fat is an awful idea.

It's the theobromine that can kill your dog if it eats to much chocolate.... It's like doggie crystal meth and makes their hearts race and palpitate.... That being said , I think it's fine for humans and I would like to see all the " hyped " research about the supposed fat blocking abilities.... Skeptical!

Hang on though, dont the food guidelines say cocoa only as a spice? I thought that meant no cocoa as a hot drink as well as no adding cocoa to berries and coconut milk to get swypo dishes? For me it does as I had (snif sniff) a cocoa dragon, having 2-3 drinks of raw organic cocoa powder with hot water a night... I think the dragon is dormant but I will try not to start again due to the caffeine. The theobromine also lowers blood pressure which is a problem for me.....

• Moderators

Hang on though, dont the food guidelines say cocoa only as a spice? I thought that meant no cocoa as a hot drink as well as no adding cocoa to berries and coconut milk to get swypo dishes? For me it does as I had (snif sniff) a cocoa dragon, having 2-3 drinks of raw organic cocoa powder with hot water a night... I think the dragon is dormant but I will try not to start again due to the caffeine. The theobromine also lowers blood pressure which is a problem for me.....

The guidelines are not defined sharply about what you can do with cocoa, but if you have a cocoa dragon, you are right to starve it to death.

Tom speaks the truth. If it's an unhealthy habit for you, you are right to avoid it. But cocoa powder, even cocoa with water) without flavoring or sweeteners is not something that appeals to a broad audience, nor is it any different (in perspective) than coffee or tea. If it sounds good to you, but doesn't awaken a dragon, there's no issue :)

Yay! Glad to hear it. The Crio Bru actually puts another dragon (the one called "nightly-glass-of-wine") to sleep.

Tom speaks the truth. If it's an unhealthy habit for you, you are right to avoid it. But cocoa powder, even cocoa with water) without flavoring or sweeteners is not something that appeals to a broad audience, nor is it any different (in perspective) than coffee or tea. If it sounds good to you, but doesn't awaken a dragon, there's no issue :)

Archived