Sarah's I Whole30 Round 1

sbeesting

Here begins my journey (and by default, my daughter's) as a breastfeeding, three month postpartum newbie.  

Day 1: Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs, sauteed radish greens with cherry tomatoes and garlic, a few strawberries, and 1/4 avocado with one (okay, two) coffees w/coconut milk.  I feel like I can do this forever.

Pre-workout - tuna with chopped shallots and tomato, 1/4 avocado  (workout was 30 minute circuit training of bodyweight exercises with dumbbells) 

Post-workout/lunch - the remaining tuna on a huge salad with balsamic vinegar, 1/2 of a baked sweet potato with cinnamon and a drizzle of coconut milk.  I'm already getting a headache. Maybe I can't do this forever.  But I WILL do it for thirty days.

Snack - a small handful of roasted almonds, a small handful of grapes and cherries, one more coffee (!)

Dinner - ground beef, broccoli, and the remaining sweet potato thrown together into something I'll call a hash

And I drank what felt like 700 gallons of water.  In reality, about 4 liters.  I think this more than the dietary changes will be vital in keeping up my milk supply.  I was worried that living in Switzerland would mean that I don't have access to many Whole30 compliant specialty foods (and it does), but on the bright side, I am already used to making most of my food from scratch and eating lots of whole foods and local meat and produce which I think will be more important in the long run.  I have a list of recipes, ideas, and goals.  I feel ready. 

• Moderators

Your pre- and post-workout food should be in addition to your three meals a day, and as a nursing mom, you'll probably need a fourth meal (or you can split that into two mini-meals). So, instead of what you had for a snack, try to have a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables, rather than just fruit and nuts. 

There's a whole section of the forum for pregnant and breastfeeding women you can check out if you have questions or concerns:  https://forum.whole30.com/forum/15-whole30-while-pregnant-or-breastfeeding/

Day 2:  I woke feeling like complete crap (I was prepared for the day two hangover, but wasn't prepared to get up six times during the night with the baby), but breakfast, a morning walk (back to the grocery store because I'd COMPLETELY underestimated the amount of food I would need to eat), and tons of water put me back on track.  Surprisingly, I felt great the rest of the day.  I did A TON of breastfeeding, partly to make sure I am keeping my supply up and partly because the little one was hungry today.  She seemed full and happy after each feeding, though.  

Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs with avocado, a side of roasted broccoli, and a few carrot sticks.  Coffee with coconut milk.  After breakfast, I did a 2.5 mile walk and drank a liter of water and 300 ml coconut water on the way.  I was ravenous at the end of it, though, so will try a bigger breakfast or a protein/fat snack on the way.  I did munch on a couple of olives because it's all I had.

Meal 2 (10:30 am) - salad with a ton of veg, tuna, and olive oil & balsamic vinegar.  I followed this meal with coffee #2.

Lunch - ground beef with a heap of sauteed spinach and an overeasy egg on top, 1/2 sweet potato with coconut oil, and a small handful of blueberries.  I snacked on a few black olives while preparing lunch.  

Snack - tuna with tomatoes and olives.  My breath was fantastic after this one.  I mention olives often, but all in all, it totaled less than half a can.  I also had the second half of the sweet potato, this time with a drizzle of coconut milk and cinnamon.  And coffee #3.

Dinner - Mediterranean chicken with artichokes, tomatoes, red onion, and kalamatas, served with a side of roasted potatoes and two asparagus spears.  Also, a large mixed greens salad with avocado, oil & vinegar, and a heap of veg.

Post dinner - coffee #4 and a small handful of mixed almonds and walnuts.  

I really love using tons of spices and fresh herbs to flavor my food.  I go through phases like that, but always slide back into using dairy or adding some form of sugar.  It's nice to be reminded of this.  All in all, I feel good going into tomorrow.  It seemed like all I did today was feed myself, feed my little one, or prepare food for the family, but I was actually quite productive.  I also prepared my "menu" for tomorrow and made sure to have leftovers today (asparagus, chicken, ground beef, potatoes, sweet potato, hardboiled eggs and broccoli) for mini meals tomorrow.  I'm going through so many eggs.  I feel like Gaston.

15 hours ago, sbeesting said:

I'm going through so many eggs.  I feel like Gaston.

Literally laughed out loud at my desk at this! My boyfriend teases me because I go through a dozen eggs in 3-4 days, I am constantly buying eggs! You're not alone. :D

• Whole30 Certified Coach

My husband and I (and our 17m old) probably go through 7 dozen eggs a week!  

If you start noticing a supply drop try adding in a bit more carbohydrate - your menus seem a little low (unless those are some giant sweet potatoes!).  And it seems like you've got the hydration under control.  The thirst of breastfeeding is REAL.  I think I was a year PP before could breastfeed without feeling like I had just walked through the desert!  

Keep up the good work - I think this is the best thing a mama can do for herself and her baby :) But I'm biased ;)

Whew!  I feel better knowing I'm not alone!  (How the heck do I reply on forums? Do I?  This is new to me.  I sound like I am at least 100 years old, I know)

Day 3:  I woke up at 5 am to a hungry baby and realized that I was famished, too, so I ate a hardboiled egg and small handful of almonds  and drank a ton of water before going back to bed.  The rest of the day, I felt GREAT!  I expected a headache, a hangover, something.  Instead, I had more clarity than I have in months and months.  I had energy and was quite even tempered if I do say so myself.  My supply seems solid, but I did up the fats and the potatoes today because I realized that while I was eating them in each meal, the portions were not large enough.  I also took a rest day today because I'd like to make sure that I have solid footing (and milk) before throwing too much energy into exercise.

Breakfast - an extravaganza of everything - leftover potatoes, olives, tomatoes, asparagus, and artichoke hearts from last night chopped up with the remaining chicken and sauteed, a giant heap of wilted spinach, and two scrambled eggs with a dollop of freshly made salsa and 8 small strawberries.  I drizzled a little olive oil over the whole thing. Two coffees with coconut milk.

Meal 2 - while my little lady napped, I prepped for today's dinner and sauteed ground beef with carrots and onions so I set aside a bowlful of the mixture and added fresh salsa and avocado for my mid-morning mini-meal (or MMMM as I really feel like calling it).

Lunch - one of my GIGANTIC salads with mixed greens, chopped olives, sundried tomatoes, hardboiled egg, ground beef, and oil and vinegar.

Next mini-meal - tuna mixed with avocado, tomatoes, and a little vinegar (and heavily seasoned) and 1/2 sweet potato with a little coconut milk.  Not the loveliest combination, but I felt good afterward.  I also sipped on a little coconut milk while chopping the veg because it just felt good.  Coffee somewhere this afternoon and again this evening when my husband got home from work.  I'd like to cut back on the java, but I have bigger fish to fry (or saute in a healthy oil with a light sauce of compliant ingredients) at the moment so I'm not going to stress about it this week.  

Dinner - sort of a taco bowl?  Ground beef, salsa, radishes, olives, potatoes, sauteed spinach, avocado, and cilantro over a bed of cauliflower rice and topped with an overeasy egg.  A side of almost one apple although it's hard to tell because my son was stealing slices.  After dinner, I baked a bunch of potatoes and sweet potatoes to make sure I am loading up the next couple of days.

The fart situation is... not ideal, but all in all, a good day.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, sbeesting said:

(How the heck do I reply on forums? Do I? 

You can quote people -- if you select just part of their post, you should get a little box that pops up that says "quote selection" and it'll do what I just did above. You can also hit the Quote button at the bottom left of any post, and it'll put the text from the whole post down in the reply box, and you type underneath that. If you do that, you can go in and edit what's copied, if you want to just address a specific part of it. The little plus sign at the bottom left of posts will let you quote multiple posts -- hit the plus sign on each one you want to quote, and over to the right, you'll see a little box that says Quote # posts -- hit that, and it'll put all the posts you want to quote down in the reply box.

You can also just tag people -- type an @ symbol, and start typing their name right next to it, no space, and a box will come up with options -- choose the one for the person you want to tag, and it'll show up in the post like @sbeesting

Day 4 - I spent the morning thinking that I was invincible, that maybe I would skate through the hangover and the KATT.  I spent the afternoon exhausted, even napping for a few minutes while my baby napped and the TV babysat my four year old.  After the nap, though, I felt pretty good again, but had enough of a kick in the pants to realize that I won't go through the month unscathed. 

5:00 - handful of almonds just to make it through nursing

Meal 1 - Scrambled eggs with avocado and salsa, sweet potato with ghee, salt and pepper. Coffee with coconut milk x2

Mini-meal - Tuna, hardboiled egg, arugula, and tomato with a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil and a regular potato with ghee.

Lunch - Salad with beef, avocado, salsa, veg, oil & vinegar

MM - Ground beef w/olives & tomato, 1/2 swt potato with ghee, and a few blueberries + 1/2 banana.  Coffee 3

Dinner - Ate 1/2 sweet pot with coconut milk while cooking.  Dinner was beef stew with carrots and asparagus over mash potatoes topped with an over-easy egg and roasted sliced carrots and broccoli stems.  A small side of mango.

Coffee4!!!!!  Gahhhhhhhh!!

I feel like I am eating so much food.  So, so much.  I realized I was out of avocado and had a two minute panic before I pulled myself together.  This is one of the reasons that I've avoided Whole30 and other eating plans is because I sometimes feel they cause me to obsess about food in a way that feels less healthy than just eating the dang stuff, but I like that this is a set amount of time in which I can reset my body and my eating habits.  I'm also getting the hang of this prep thing so I am not cooking every minute of the day.  

Day 5 - I've been sober for some years now.  Today, I felt nauseous, I had a headache, I felt sluggish and couldn't focus.  I couldn't pinpoint how I recognized these feelings until about midmorning - I was at the hangover point.  What a great reminder of why I don't drink and also, pretty cool to realize I've been so long without a drink that I'd forgotten how it felt.  I was walloped this morning with all the symptoms listed in the first week of the Whole30 Timeline.  I was so exhausted that I could hardly move, I had a ridiculous hangover, and I was ready to snap the head off of anyone that dared to speak to me.  I managed laundry, cooking, cleaning, and getting my kids ready one-handed while carrying around a fussy baby who refused to take a nap because of course, today was the day that I had a parents meeting for my son's entry into kindergarten  which happened to be conducted in a hot stuffy room....in German.  Luckily, I felt better in the afternoon and back to normal by evening.  

Almonds at 5:00 am while breastfeeding.  No chance of a mini-meal and the thought of an egg made me want to hurl so almonds it was

Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs with sauteed spinach and tomato, a dollop of salsa, 1/2 sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut milk, and a coffee with coconut milk.

MMMM - small portion (maybe too small) of tuna with olives and tomatoes

Lunch - giant salad with the rest of the tuna, a hardboiled egg (that I peeled one handed - BOOM!), radish, sundried tomato, oil, and vinegar

MAMM - Hardboiled egg, small baked potato with ghee, a few blueberries

Dinner - Zesty chicken bites coated in almond meal with a side of roasted potatoes, a salad with radishes, beets, bell pepper, oil & vinegar, and a banana

Coffee count - 5.  Too bad.  Today was rough.  

Again, I drank 4-5 liters of water.  Milk supply seems okay but it's hard to tell with a fussbutt of a baby, especially since she's usually incredibly easy.  Today was my first day venturing into society with real people and it was a real relief because I'd been caught up in my own thoughts, feelings, and food for a few days and was able to get out of my head.  Tomorrow will be a big shopping trip and I notice that I have much more of a handle on what I need and how to prepare.  Woohoo!

Day 6 - First day with a partner in crime.  My husband has been loosely following the guidelines as he is a chef and has to taste everything so it was his first hardcore day.  It went well except for first thing in the morning when I had a mild case of wanting to kill him for something small but luckily, it passed.  We made a trip to Prodega - a huge costco like store for restaurants, etc, and stocked up on everything from avocado to eggs (30!) to chicken to a whole side of salmon to a box of sweet potatoes. 

Breakfast -a frittata loaded with veggies and 1/2 sweet potato with coconut milk.

Lunch - leftover beef stew and mashed potato with a huge side salad with olive oil and vinegar

Dinner - ground beef, broccoli, and carrot stir fry over cauliflower rice with cashews and another large salad.  1/2 sweet potato with coconut butter.  

I didn't have much time for mini-meals so snacks were an apple, sweet potatoes, and a few almonds.  

Coffees - 4-5

I received my box of goods - coconut aminos, avocado oil, coconut butter.  Oh, the things I get excited for these days

Sounds like you are doing great!  Your meals sound so good!  Sweet potatoes with coconut milk or coconut butter... so good!  Have you tried making your own ghee yet?  I make mine and really let it get almost-burnt and it tastes like caramel :) Now that is good on sweet potatoes!  

Sorry the little lady was a fuss bucket :) Is your older son eating W30 at all?  

Day 7 - we grilled in our garden today which usually means a bunch of sausages, potato salad, grilled fruit, bread, etc.  Instead, we had grilled salmon.  My husband grilled a bunch of chicken thighs and some jalapenos for us for the next few days.  I had zero cravings for the sausages and ice cream that the others were eating - a pleasant surprise!  My husband is having a much harder time than I am with this and our sweet neighbors can't understand how we are living without the fresh bread and cheese that are staples here in Swiss households.  I, on the other hand, have had very little desire for anything other than what I am eating and I have a clarity and energy I haven't had...ever.  

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with sauteed spinach and fresh salsa, sweet potato with coconut butter, and four strawberries.  Side of a half an avocado filled with salsa.

Lunch - grilled salmon, grilled avocado, and sweet potatoes with sides of giant salads.

Afternoon MM - ground beef mixed with salsa and olives, an apple, and two-three slices of bananas

Dinner - a huge tuna salad with olives.  

I made it through week one!  Today I noticed that my clothes seemed super tight, but I had read about that so didn't freak out (much).  I am getting tired of sauteed spinach, though, so I'll be trying out alternatives this week.  Woohoo!

8 hours ago, littleg said:

Sounds like you are doing great!  Your meals sound so good!  Sweet potatoes with coconut milk or coconut butter... so good!  Have you tried making your own ghee yet?  I make mine and really let it get almost-burnt and it tastes like caramel :) Now that is good on sweet potatoes!  

Sorry the little lady was a fuss bucket :) Is your older son eating W30 at all?  

I have made my own ghee and did exactly what you described (although on accident).  I almost threw it away because it was so dark, but it is delicious!  I usually switch up my sweet potato toppings between coconut milk, coconut butter, or my accidental dark ghee.  I'm going to make some again this week so I hope I can do it again.

My son is kind of sort of doing it as well.  By default, he's been eating more vegetables, salads, cauliflower rice instead of regular, etc.  I still give him milk and whole grain pasta and extra fruit, though.  He's always been a relatively healthy eater and I don't want to remove entire food groups from my healthy, active four year old. I have read that some kids do a great job on Whole30.  Do you have experience with children following Whole30?  

Week 1 Musings:

*My eating habits weren't as terrible as I thought - I had little to no detox period, I don't have cravings (yet), and meal prep and menu planning has been easy.  I didn't eat much processed food and often cooked with fresh ingredients.  Where I veered into unhealthy territory was by grazing, mindlessly snacking, and finishing my son's portions. 

*This program is expensive and I balked at that the first few days, but I do feel pretty good about paying for the best products possible to put into the bodies of myself and my family.

*I couldn't exactly clarify my goals at the beginning but they are becoming clearer now.  I want to continue to eat whole, fresh, local food after the 30 days.  I want to take it one step further and reintroduce with fresh local milk (maybe from a nearby farm? We are in Switzerland after all), seasonal produce from local farms, and whole grains.  I think part of the problem isn't that our bodies have a problem with bread or whatever the culprit, I think that what we consider bread is processed to a point that it would be unrecognizable a century ago.  I want to get back to the basics of food in its purest form and go from there.  

*We have very few meats like bacon or sauces or special compliant foods here so I have been relying on flavor bombs like homemade fresh salsa, sun-dried tomatoes, and different olives as well as fresh herbs and tons of spices.  I was nervous at first, but now I'm happy about that.  

*I'll probably read this after week 2 and think I sound like a pretentious ass, but this is where I am today.  Mwah. 

Day 8 - another first today as my children and I were invited to brunch with a group of people.  I let my friends know in advance that I would eat beforehand so that I didn't seem rude because most brunches here consist of different breads, meats, cheese, muesli, etc.  None of which I can eat and all foods that I usually love.  I've found that being open and honest from the beginning is best for me.  I also made sure that I had a couple of hard-boiled eggs and olives with me in case of emergency.

Breakfast - 4 scrambled eggs, sauteed spinach, fresh salsa, olives, and sweet potato with coconut butter.  A few almonds.

Brunch - a mix of peaches, berries, and bananas.  I did have a small glass of blood orange juice which is something I've avoided this far as I know it's better to eat your food than drink it.  It was good, but nothing that I'll be craving tomorrow.  

Mini-meal - 2 hard-boiled eggs mashed with avocado and a drizzle of avocado oil and some olives

Dinner - a heap of seasoned grilled chicken, potato, fresh salsa and a little grilled pineapple.  

Small victory - I recognized that I'd had enough fruit today and set some of my grilled pineapple (which is my favorite) aside to use tomorrow.  

Today was not my best eating day, but it could have been much worse.  I didn't feel hungry most of the day but still tried to be mindful of my food intake and I did drink a ton of water.  My goal this week (now that I'm not constantly ravenous) is to focus on the template of portions and ratios of my plate rather than throwing things on my plate and hoping for the best.  I'm feeling incredibly clear and ready to do the deal.  

Day 9 - TONS AND TONS OF ENERGY!!!!!  My first "proper" workout since day 1 and I absolutely crushed it.  My morning was fab, but I definitely didn't eat enough in late afternoon/evening and my level of hanger wasn't pretty.  When I am home by myself at night dealing with getting two kids fed, bathed, and put to bed, I need to make sure I eat either a late afternoon mini-meal if I'll be having a late dinner or make sure I get an early dinner.  Lesson learned.  I also felt nauseous after lunch. Not sure if it's something I ate or delayed reaction to the diet changes.

Brekkie - Scrambled eggs with avocado and pineapple salsa (a gross combo) and a sweet potato with coconut butter. 

Pre-workout - HB egg with olives

Post-workout - tuna with 1/2 sweet potato

Lunch - huge salad with beets, chicken, avocado, egg, spinach, o & v; 1/2 sweet potato with coconut milk; cherries.  

Dinner (at 9 pm!!!!) - Morroccan meatballs with tomatoes and olives with cauliflower rice. 

On 6/10/2018 at 2:55 AM, sbeesting said:

Do you have experience with children following Whole30?  

Sort of.  We did baby led weaning with our 17m old and we eat 80-90% W30.  If he gets gluten, dairy, etc at my in-laws I don't police it but at home we don't ever have that stuff so he doesn't eat it.  He has yet to have liquid cow's milk (but I do still breast feed).  He's fine :) In fact, I'd say he is thriving - but I am biased!

Day 10 - I finally aligned with the Whole30 Timeline.  Today was tough.  I was questioning whether the results will be worth so much work and if it really is a good idea to cut out whole food groups.  I had my first cravings....for beans and lentils.  The thought of sugar makes me semi-nauseous, I can do without cheese and bread (never thought I'd say that!), but I miss my dal and adding beans to my salads.  I told myself that it's only 30 days.  I went over why I am doing it for ME because I tend to try to fit myself into the mold of others.  I want to do it to reset my body.  I'd like to reintroduce food in their purest forms, to grind my own flour, to take the steps for my family to eat to food in its natural state at home all the time.  I want to stop using sugar and butter as a crutch for flavor and instead use fresh herbs and tons of spices, even ones I've never tried.  To stop using grains, rice, and pasta as the most substantial part of my meal instead of a small side portion (if at all).  All these things are possible and it makes me feel better about grinding through these 30 days.  Plus, when I'm honest, I like proving to myself that I can do 30 days without food that I said I could NEVER cut out.  It's an exercise in mental toughness for me, too.  

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with sauteed potatoes and spinach and fresh salsa, 1/2 sweet potato with coconut milk.  

Lunch - Leftover Moroccan meatballs over cauliflower rice; 1/2 avocado filled with salsa, watermelon and apple.

Dinner - Whole30 Chili topped with avocado and red onion, a side of sauteed zucchini and carrots

Post dinner snack (because getting two little kids ready for bed is hard!) - small bowl of chili; 1/2 sweet potato with coconut milk

My milk is still a'flowing, I have lots of energy, and I've discovered that my body responds well to many aspects of the program.  Eating a source of protein and a fat for a snack/mini-meal or even sweet potato with ghee or coconut milk curbs my desire to graze and grab handfuls of this and mouthfuls of that.  I'm not mindlessly eating anymore because every choice must be deliberate.  I've learned about new things I love that I will continue after the program - avocado filled with salsa, baking batches of sweet potatoes for the week, using spices and herbs and coffee and sundried tomatoes to develop flavor.  I'm in a good place. 

Day 11 - my new problem is that I have so much energy and get so much done that time is flying and I'm forgetting to eat.  

Breakfast - Leftover chili topped with two overeasy eggs and 1/4 avocado, side sweet potato with coconut milk and cinnamon.

Lunch - gigantic salad with tuna and egg, olives, tomatoes, a sweet potato repeat

Dinner - chicken thighs, potato, sauteed veg with side watermelon salad with cucumbers, onions, and pepitas, repeat sweet potato.

I have more energy, but am still bopping around without much focus.  If I write a list of what I need to do, it's done within an hour.  Without a list, I am like a lost soul, bouncing from project to project.  Clothes seem to be getting looser.  I did a good workout today, but didn't have time for a pre-workout meal and it was right before lunch so I need to plan that better.  

Day 12 - Baby sleep regression means that I have no idea what I'm feeling due to diet and what due to lack of sleep.  I was exhausted for about 1 hour this afternoon but bounced back quickly. 

Breakfast - scrambled eggs with roasted potato, zucchini, and broccoli, 1/4 avocado, mash sweet potato with coconut milk, leftover watermelon salad

Mini meal - Egg

Lunch - Tuna salad with avocado, meatballs with a dipping sauce of coconut aminos, sesame oil, lemon juice.

Mini - 1/2 avo filled with salsa, hard boiled egg, cherries

Dinner - Super delicious taco soup with tons of veg & beef, side salad with tons of veg, o & v,  Sweet potato/coconut milk.

I'm getting a little sick of meat.  I love eating vegetarian and look forward to having lentils and beans, but I don't miss much else!

Day 13 - I was a little nervous today.  We planned a bigger hike and we usually take sandwiches, nuts, fruit, and some sort of lentil or bulgur wheat salad.  We were going to be doing about 8 miles with a four year old and a 3 month old so I needed to have plenty of energy.  We erred on the side of caution and packed too much food - tuna, olives, hardboiled eggs, cashews & almonds, apples, carrot sticks, avocado.  

Breakfast - my usual now which is scrambled eggs, salsa, avocado, roasted jalapeno, a sweet potato with coconut milk, and a few pieces of watermelon and cherry

Mini-meal - hard boiled eggs, olives, carrot sticks

Snack - the most delicious fresh cherries that we bought from a roadside stand on our journey.  The very best I've ever had!  The craziest part is they tasted almost too sweet!

Lunch - tuna in an avocado half, carrots, a sweet potato

Snack - apple, cashews & almonds

Dinner - pork steaks, potatoes, avocado, jalapeno, onions and bell peppers (all grilled and so good), a large side salad with tomatoes, egg, oil and vinegar.  I finished with my usual 1/2 sweet potato with coconut milk.

I felt good about my choices today considering I not only hiked over 13 kilometers, but we also had two train rides and a ship ride.  We usually treat ourselves to ice cream after big hiking days and I must admit that this is the first time my eyes have had a hard time leaving the gelato stand by the train station but the feeling passed quickly.

Day 14 - I'm tired of eating so much meat.

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs, avocado, salsa, and a sweet potato with coconut milk and cinnamon.

Lunch - another grilled feast of salmon, potatoes, jalapenos, nectarines, zucchini, and mushrooms (blech) with a side salad

Dinner - Huge tuna salad with avo and egg, sweet potato with coconut milk.

Day 15 - I haven't followed the Whole30 timeline much at all but today was a COMPLETELY different story.  I had almost convinced myself to quit on day 21, asking for advice in various groups and working myself into quite a tizzy.  I decided eating lentils and buckwheat would be just fine.  I'd love some beans in my salad.  I ate mostly vegetarian before and felt fine.  I'll be arriving in Italy on Day 30 and do I really want to reintroduce foods in the land of pasta and gelato?  I checked the timeline:  "This is the part of the program where our minds try to drive us back to the comfort of the foods we used to know."  Ah, okay.  I read on about how to handle it.  So grateful for that today.  Ultimately, I will finish.  I will reintroduce in Italy.  I may indulge in a small cup of gelato on day 31 and it may be fine.  Or I may have to poop immediately.  Or I may decide I don't want gelato at all, but prefer fresh fruit.  I want to live my life in a balance between eating healthily and enjoying life's pleasures, like gelato on a hot summer evening in Italy if I choose, but not ice cream every evening.  The bottom line is that I don't have to worry about anything today but getting through day 15.  It takes me back to my days in early sobriety - one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time.  Don't leave before the miracle happens!  It is just like me, though, to skate through the physical issues and then get blindsided by the psychological ones.  Pesky little brain.

Breakfast - leftover taco soup topped with an over easy egg, sweet pot with coco milk

Snack - almonds and cashews.  I know.  I was deep in my head at this point and am grateful that I only went as far as a handful of nuts.  Phew!

Lunch - whole30 egg roll bowl over cauliflower rice with homemade mayo and homemade sambal; a nectarine.

Dinner - leftover egg roll bowl with 1/4 avocado; side salad with egg, tomato, oil & vin; sweet potato with coconut milk

I don't want to admit this because then I'll have to change it, but I believe I am using my evening sweet potato as a dessert.  While I don't want to give up that source of nutrients and carbs, I think I'll try to move it to an afternoon mini-meal with a protein source or eat it in a savory way at dinner time instead (with ghee, salt and pepper or topped with vegetables).  Dang this accountability thing!  I had a bit of an upset tummy off and on all day and not much appetite.  I've read that may happen and am prepared for it - I have an arsenal of fresh salsa, herb mixes, and homemade condiments to try this week.  I've spent the last 15 days creating meals out of completely whole foods 95% of the time (I think the longest ingredient list on anything I've eaten has been three).  Now, I'm going to learn how to make them myself (like that sambal today).

I think I'm outside the norm in that I don't much care for desserts.  I always found the sweet potatoes to be too sweet when I did the W30 back when white potatoes weren't allowed.  I always added sage and other herbs to try to make them more savory.  I still buy them sometimes as I like to keep the diet varied but they are not in the regular rotation. 

Since you still want to eat them, maybe use ghee and savory spices instead of the coconut milk.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:50 AM, AngryBlonde said:

Since you still want to eat them, maybe use ghee and savory spices instead of the coconut milk.

That's the plan!  I was out of ghee for the past few days but made a new batch yesterday so I'm back in action.

Archived