Sarah's I Whole30 Round 1

sbeesting

Day 16 - I made a mistake yesterday.  I made a coffee with a splash of milk for my German teacher who stopped by to see my baby and, due to a complete lack of sleep and absentmindedness, I accidentally took a sip of her coffee. It was a weird (and awkward) moment.  I'm not starting over with the 30 days.  I read the Starting Over article and I know that the program says I should start over and I respect the reasons behind it, but this is my journey to change my eating habits, to eat whole nutritious foods, to get to a place where I feel nourished and happy after meals. I don't want to beat myself up to the point where I damage my psychological relationship with food, where I identify food as good or bad instead of what works for me and what doesn't.  I'm where I want to be right now so I will finish my 30 days and use the tools I've gained in the "real world" (starting with a trip to Italy!)  and do another round when I return.  That's that.  It was super embarrassing, though.  Sheesh.  Who drinks someone else's coffee?  Honestly, I've been nervous to post about it because I'm afraid to be attacked for my choice, but oh well.  It's not "their" journey, it's mine.

Anyway, 

Breakfast - 3 scrambled eggs, 1/4 avocado, sweet potato with coconut milk

Lunch - egg salad with homemade mayo and a little avocado, banana.  (No veggies?? How did that happen? Poop.)

Dinner - compliant Chicken Korma loaded with bell peppers and a few cashews over coconut rice with a large side salad of greens, tomatoes, and avocado, o&v.

I'm obviously due for a trip to the market.  I made some ghee and baked a heap of sweet potatoes so I am already more prepared for tomorrow.  I'll be making a big trip to the "Costco for restaurants" that we have here and stocking up again.  I know I need to add at least one mini-meal to make sure my milk production stays where it should be.  I feel nourished, though.  Strong, energetic (even when exhausted), and focused.  

For what it's worth, I agree with you since it was inadvertent and such a tiny amount.  I know when I eat in restaurants I do my best to be compliant but there is no way to be sure of what you're getting in spite of asking questions about how things are made.

2 hours ago, AngryBlonde said:

For what it's worth, I agree with you since it was inadvertent and such a tiny amount.  I know when I eat in restaurants I do my best to be compliant but there is no way to be sure of what you're getting in spite of asking questions about how things are made.

Thank you!! I ate in my first restaurant last night and was nervous, even though my husband (who will be the chef starting next month!) wrote the menu so he could tell me exactly what had what in it.  He said it's incredibly rare (at least here in Switzerland) that there isn't a bit of sugar in a spice mix or a pat of butter added to a sauce to finish it, although they are starting to move away from both practices. For me, it's finding that balance between being healthy and still getting out and enjoying life. 

Day 17 - My first eating out experience.  We don't eat out a ton anyway because it's so expensive here and if we do get takeaway/delivery, it's either pizza or Thai food so we've skipped it altogether.  I was exhausted after another rough night of sleep but felt better after an afternoon nap.  I seem to bounce back much faster now.

Breakfast - Scramble with eggs, tomatoes, onions, and fresh basil, avocado, sweet potato with coconut milk

Snack - sweet potato w/ghee, salt and pepper

Lunch - Big splurge lunch!  Ahi steaks, side of potatoes, onions, and fresh parsley, side of tomatoes and cucumbers, 1/2 mango

Mini-meal - knowing we'd be eating dinner around 7:30 and wanting to avoid being so hungry that we couldn't pass up the free fresh bread, we had hardboiled eggs, sweet potatoes, and proscuitto with cantaloupe

Dinner - grilled shrimp with a salad of greens cucumbers, sprouts, tomatoes, and watermelon.  Very little temptation for me at the restaurant other than I STILL have to take care that I don't just reach across and absentmindedly eat one of my son's fries. 

After dinner snack - sweet potato, ghee, salt & pepper

Day 18 - I realized something interesting today.  My son has been asking for cookies and cream ice cream.  I told him that he could get some, but that Daddy and I wouldn't have any.  He said he didn't really want a treat if we wouldn't have it together.  That's exactly how it should be.  At some point, I started thinking I needed a "treat" for everything - a small chocolate after getting the baby down for her nap, an extra muffin here, a piece of pizza there.  I wasn't even enjoying it, instead I was eating on the go or shoveling it in alone in the kitchen.  I lost sight of the fact that more than half the fun of these things is sitting with someone that I care about and enjoying it together.  My four-year-old recognizes it.  It's something I want to carry with me into reintroduction and beyond.  Another important lesson I've learned from my preschooler.  Let's be clear, though, he has no problem eating a mini ice cream cone or drinking chocolate milk here and there, but he's had quite a few moments lately where he's pointed out that he doesn't want it alone.

Breakfast - three scrambled eggs with some leftover egg whites, potatoes, and avocado; sweet potato with coconut milk

Lunch - three hardboiled eggs chopped up with potato and tossed with homemade mayo, compliant dijon, green olives, and parsley; a huge side salad with tons of tomatoes, o & v, a few strawberries and some nectarine

Post workout meal - (I know, I know, no pre-workout meal but I didn't know I was going to be able to squeeze one in!) Grilled chicken breast topped with homemade sambal, sweet potato with salt and pepper

Dinner - Grilled chicken breast over a salad of greens, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, egg, oil and vinegar and topped with DELICIOUS chimichurri, sweet potato with coconut milk.

I froze chicken breasts, boiled eggs, sauteed lean ground beef and made chimichurri today.  Tomorrow, I plan to make compliant breakfast sausage, make more of that delicious sambal, and use up some of the leftovers in the fridge in some imaginative way.  Hopefully.  Workout today was 15 minute ab/arm pilates, then 7 minutes circuit training, but that bored me so I switched to 20 minute arm workout on the Nike app and then I could hardly lift my baby after.  In all honesty, I think I am a better mom now.  The first week, I felt like 80% of my time was going to meal prep and figuring this stuff out.  Now, I have more energy, my mood swings aren't so strong (or maybe they are but I realize and deal with it earlier), and I'm more focused when playing with my kids.  My milk is good and I've been drinking tons of water.  Ended the day with a headache at the base of my head, though.  I need more sleep. Yeah, right.  HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Day 19 - I'm feeling energized and nourished.  I eat when I feel my energy waning, knowing I will perk up whereas before, I would eat when I was incredibly hungry and then be tired and full afterward.  Lame complaint today: I had so much energy that I couldn't sit and relax.  I was cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, you name it.  I can hanestly say I've never had that complaint in my life.  

Preworkout  - hardboiled egg, cashews

Breakfast (eaten after a workout) - Potatoes and onions, scrambled eggs with tomatoes and basil

Lunch - I forgot!!!! (This was yesterday).  I'm pretty sure it was ground beef with tomatoes and olives, a side sweet potato with coconut milk and cinnamon, a nectarine and a couple strawberries

Afternoon MM - hardboiled egg, 1/2 avocado, cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks

Dinner - chicken curry over cauliflower rice with huge portion of broccoli and two small homemade sausage patties to test them out.  They're delicious.  

Workout - BBG Week 1 full body. I sweated buckets.  

Day 20 - I've noticed my palate is becoming more refined all the time.  The olives that I had today seemed incredibly salty, carrots as sweet as fruit.  My supply is really great right now.  If nothing else comes from this, at least I know that I can nourish myself and my baby and have incredible amounts of energy while eating whole foods.  I wonder sometimes if I'm eating too much, but prefer it to eating too little.  I see where the flaws in my days are (like I had a little too much fruit today or struggling to get both pre and post workout meals in on exercise days), but I'm recognizing it, trying to learn from it, and move on rather than obsessing over it.  

Breakfast - 2 egg potato salad with homemade mayo and olives, mango and strawberries

Lunch - Huge salad with ground beef, chimichurri, tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds, boiled egg, oil and vinegar; sweet potato with coconut milk, 1/2 nectarine

Mini meal - hardboiled egg, sweet potato with ghee, cherry tomatoes

Dinner - yet another chicken curry, this time with cilantro, cauliflower, and carrot over cauliflower rice, side of a little mango and fresh cherries, sweet potato with coconut milk, carrot sticks

2/3 of the way done and I'm feeling great about it. I really thought I would have more difficulty.  The next ten days will be a test, though, because my family is coming to visit and we will be doing lots of traveling, including a trip to Italy on the last day and reintroduction period.  I'm planning my preparations now so that I am well equipped with what I need to stay on track mentally and food-wise.  

I made it 21 days.  My family is visiting from the US and with all the traveling and day trips that we are doing around Switzerland and Italy, I'm not willing to put in the time and effort to always have compliant food available while cooking for six other people and eating out often.  I reintroduced each group and had zero problems with anything...except sugar.  One small scoop of gelato netted me a headache, nausea, exhaustion, you name it.  Will I try again?  I'm not sure.  My takeaways:  eating a great breakfast with protein, healthy fats, and vegetables is incredibly important for me.  Sweet potatoes, avocado, and coconut milk are now staples in my diet.  Olives, sundried tomatoes, chilis, etc can add that pop of flavor that I'm looking for instead of sugar and preservative laden sauces.  Additionally, I can make all those sauces myself.  My goal for now is to focus on whole, nutrient dense foods from local producers.  I love whole grains and would really enjoy grinding my own flour and making bread from a starter.  Going back to the roots of fermenting, curing, and baking.  Learning where my food is from.  Staying away from copious amounts of sugar.  Enjoying life.  

Archived