Angry Blonde Summer Whole 30

AngryBlonde

I did some whole 30s a few years back and logged them here under a different name which I couldn't remember and have changed emails since then so wasn't able to attempt a password retrieval when I re-registered last fall.

I've been hypothyroid for at least ten years and have been having trouble with my dosage this year.  I've also have developed some itchy skin problems so decided to try another Whole30 to see if something I'm eating is causing it.  I plan to start next Sunday (June 10th).  I will be doing some meal planning over the week so I can create a proper shopping list and will post sporadically between now and the 10th.

I had intended to start today but it will have to be tomorrow because I had leftover pasta that needed to be eaten.  I'm not throwing away perfectly good food.  I bought food for the week yesterday including some frozen veggies (including cauliflower rice) to supplement the fresh ones that often don't last the full week. 

I'm making my breakfasts for the week which will be scrambled eggs with asparagus and leeks all cooked in ghee. 

Day 1

B: two hard boiled eggs, squash cubes and green beans with ghee and Shichimi Togarashi

L: steak with mushrooms and cubed potatoes cooked in ghee (leftover from dinner last night)

D: chicken, onion, leek stir fry with cauliflower rice - used olive oil for the stir fry and added coconut aminos and for spice I added Shichimi Togarashi.  This tasted surprisingly good although i missed the liquid of the ponzu I would normally use.

Squash, green beans and cauliflower rice were all frozen.  I riced cauliflower one time and it is too much work so I will stick to the frozen.    I was impressed with how it turned out.  Strangely it didn't really taste like cauliflower or rice but it worked.  The downside is my stomach was grumbling a bit after I finished eating though it has settled down now. 

Day 2

B: two hard boiled eggs, squash cubes and green beans with ghee and Shichimi Togarashi

After eating this two days in a row I decided the green beans don't work. I prefer to blanch fresh ones.  These seem slightly mushy and I like them crisp.  The frozen squash works well though so I'll continue to buy it.  I even bought some freshly cubed ones from Sprouts today.

L: chicken, onion, leek stir fry with cauliflower rice (leftover from last night)

D: beef patty, mashed potatoes w/onion and ghee, asparagus cooked in olive oil, tomato/olive salad w/balsamico and olive oil

The Angry Man returned from a work trip today and is going to follow my lead on the food.  He loves his pasta and cheese and already thinks I feed him too many vegetables so he will probably suffer.  :wacko:

I'm still having some stomach discomfort from the cauliflower rice.  It's been a few years since I've had any as it's not at all a vegetable I like much. 

Day 3

B: two hard boiled eggs and squash cubes with coconut oil/ghee mixture

L: beef patty, mashed potatoes w/onion and ghee and asparagus cooked in olive oil (leftover from last night)

D: sockeye salmon, broccoli topped w/salsa,  butternut squash cooked in coconut oil/ghee mixture

It seems odd that you can't edit a prior entry.  I have two Day 1s when it should be Day 1 & 2. :angry:

Day 4

B: two hard boiled eggs and squash cubes with coconut oil/ghee mixture

L: salad: tuna (w/PK mayo), guac, power greens, arugula, tomato, olive oil & balsamico

D: marinated veal cutlets, butternut squash cooked in coconut oil, broccoli mixed with the salsa cooked in olive oil

The marinade for the cutlets was olive oil, balsamic, oregano, rosemary and garlic.

I spent about 30-35 minutes on the treadmill the first three days.  I took a break today but plan to do a 5k tomorrow.  Even after four days I can feel a tiny bit of loosening up in my clothes around the waist area.  We're going to Costco tomorrow to stock up. We're out of meat and I'm looking for cheaper cubed squash, cauliflower rice and sustainable tuna than Sprouts or Natural Grocer offer.  Saturday we'll go to the butcher who has compliant bacon and sausage.  It's all done in house and has no non-compliant additives or sugar added.  The meat is mostly grass fed or pastured.  And the prices are reasonable.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, AngryBlonde said:

I see you can edit ... but it must have a time limit.

Yes, you have about 15 minutes or so from the time you first post to edit. That's just the way this forum works. I've fixed your second day 1 to be day 2.  If there's something really egregious that needs to be fixed, you can tag me or one of the other mods, or PM one of us, but for general typos, it's best just to proofread carefully before and after hitting the Submit button.

Day 5

B: two smashed hard boiled eggs w/PK mayo, banana

L: salad: chopped leftover marinated veal, guac, power greens, arugula, tomato, olive oil & balsamico

D: grilled American Wagyu rib-eye steak, potatoes fried in ghee/olive oil w/onions & garlic, leftover broccoli and small salad of arugula, guac, tomato and olives

My stomach was feeling a little off this morning.  I'm eating twice as many veggies as normal (since I'm replacing my normal small portion grains) and I know from past experience it can take a couple of weeks to get used to.  So I only had a banana for breakfast rather than veggies.  I feel a lot better now.

We went to Costco and they had American Wagyu which is better than prime but not as good as Japanese Wagyu. Delicious.  I did a 5K on the treadmill today and lifted a few upper body weights. It's something I do sporadically but I'm not as disciplined about it as I should be.  My goal is to do the weights 3x per week.

PS Thanks Shannon for fixing the day.

Day 6 (yesterday)

B: fried eggs and potatoes (in ghee) and some leftover veal

L: leftover steak, potatoes and butternut squash

D: baked wings, salad with veggies and a sprinkle of lemon juice

We met some friends at a local neighborhood pub that we frequent regularly.  We know the owner and the head chef so I was able to tell him what I needed. They already bake their wings so I had mine without sauce.  It was a little bland but not bad. 

I also did a 10k on my treadmill which was too much for my bad knees.  I need to ease into the 10k.

Day 7

B: poached eggs and salad with veggies (at the same pub as last night)

L: tuna w/pk mayo and salad with guac, mixed greens, tomato

D: meat sauce with zoodles

I have my meat sauce cooking on the stove still but I will be having mine with zoodles.  The Angry Man is having pasta. :angry:  Normally I'd make a Bolognese with ground pork, ground beef, pancetta, onions, red wine and Bechamel (added at the end). Today I'm skipping the wine, Bechamel and pancetta because the first two aren't compliant and I was unable to find any pancetta that was compliant. I get so tired of the most basic foods having junk in them.

We also have some goat meat marinating for tomorrow night.  Goat meat can be tough so spending about 24 hours in a marinade should help a lot.  Tomorrow we'll make a curry from it.

We both ended up sick yesterday and stayed home.  We don't know if it was something we ate or if we picked up a bug.  I had no appetite so I only had two meals since I slept until around 11.  Still not feeling great today and appetite is not strong so still eating light.  We ended up freezing our marinating goat meat as we didn't think we'd want it tonight.

Day 8

L: smashed boiled eggs with PK mayo and banana

D: 1/2 of my zoodles leftovers which would have normally been my lunch portion

Day 9

B: smashed boiled eggs w/PK mayo and banana

L: salad: tuna mixed w/PK mayo and capers, arugula, tomato, olives, guac

D: other 1/2 of my zoodles leftovers

On a plus the meat sauce turned out delicious and I made enough that I froze half of it for use in a week or two.  Sunday I sauteed my zoodles in olive oil but knowing I would be reheating the sauce and zoodles together I left them raw for leftovers and it was the right choice.  They would have been overcooked otherwise.

3 hours ago, AngryBlonde said:

Sunday I sauteed my zoodles in olive oil but knowing I would be reheating the sauce and zoodles together I left them raw for leftovers and it was the right choice.

I can't seem to get on board with zoodles.  Tips?  Hope you're feeling better today!

On 6/20/2018 at 12:05 AM, sbeesting said:

I can't seem to get on board with zoodles.  Tips?  Hope you're feeling better today!

Make a really good sauce.  My spiralizer has two sizes for making "noodles" and i used the bigger one so it seemed like fat spaghetti.  My sauce was very meaty so I couldn't even taste the zucchini.  I think that is the key.

Day 10 (yesterday)

B: smashed boiled eggs w/PK mayo and banana

L: salad: tuna mixed w/PK mayo and capers, arugula, tomato, olives, guac

D: bangers and mash (my local meat store makes their own sausages and these have nothing but spices in them)

Day 11 (today)

B: boiled eggs, butternut sauteed in coconut oil

L:  bangers and mash (leftovers)

D: baked chicken legs, rest of the mashed potatoes, asparagus sauteed in ghee

Observation:  Back when I did the W30 when potatoes weren't allowed I tried different mashes: rutabaga, turnip, parsnip w/carrots & sweet potatoes.  For the most part they were not satisfactory.  On my normal diet I eat meat, green vegetable and/or salad with a starch or grain.  I try to make them only once per week though we plan our leftovers so we can have them for lunch the next day so in reality I eat them twice.  I would include rice, pasta, couscous, potatoes, black beans, sweet potato, quinoa, asian noodles (soba, ramen, etc), polenta and so on.  Now because those are not allowed (outside sweet potatoes) I'm eating too many potatoes.  

Day 12

B: baked chicken legs, asparagus (leftovers from dinner)

L:  salad: arugula, shrimp, olives, capers, guac, olive oil, balsamico

D: taco salad: arugula, mixed greens, guac, ground beef w/onions, green chilies & spices

I'm out of food outside of the meat in the freezer that we filled last week.  That's why my dinner salad is so sparse.  The Angry Man is out of town for the next week so I'll likely be eating more salads while he is gone. He travels a lot for work so when he's gone I tend to make quick and easy meals.

Note on the guac:  I'm using the Wholly Guacamole minis.  My local Costco sells them in a box of 20  and they're organic.  The Natural Grocer (where I first discovered them) sells them in a 6 pack and they aren't organic.  They contain only avocado, vinegar and dehydrated onion & garlic.  While it's nothing like how I make guacamole it helps a lot to add a bit of flavor to things.  And often when I buy avocados they're either not ripe enough, too dry or just plain bad.   Sometimes it puts a damper on my meal plans.   At least this way I can count on the product.

If you're a salad dressing person mixing up the little 2oz mini cup and some olive oil with your salad can provide the creamy texture you are used to.

Day 13

B:  some of the ground beef mix from last night, butternut squash cooked in ghee/coconut oil mix

L:  smoked kippers, asparagus sauteed in ghee, a few olives

D: taco salad: mixed greens, guac, ground beef mix, tomatoes, lime, cilantro

I stocked up on veggies, olives and a bit of fish today.  The cat went crazy when I opened the tin of kippers but because they are smoked she wouldn't actually eat the small piece I tried to give her.   

Day 14

B:  potato w/ bacon and onion

L:  taco salad: mixed greens, guac, ground beef mix, tomatoes, lime, cilantro, olives

D: keto salmon, brussels sprouts cooked w/bacon

I forgot to buy eggs yesterday so my breakfast was sparse.  I ended up going to the store today and getting eggs, more kippers, pears and a few misc items.  Tomorrow I'm going to make this coleslaw:  https://brooklynsupper.com/quick-pear-and-cabbage-slaw/

It sounded good.  Seems compliant.  Obviously I'll use PK mayo.  I also made breakfast for the next three days of scrambled eggs with sauteed onions, asparagus and sun dried tomatoes. 

Day 15

B:  scrambled eggs w/asparagus, onion, sun dried tomatoes

L:  taco salad: mixed greens, guac, ground beef mix, tomatoes, lime, cilantro, olives plus a banana

D:  andouille sausage, cabbage/pear slaw (compliant sausage from my local butcher)

Day 16

B:  scrambled eggs w/asparagus, onion, sun dried tomatoes

L:  andouille sausage, cabbage/pear slaw

D: deconstructed chicken taco (salsa, avocado, lime), cabbage/pear slaw

Day 17

B:  scrambled eggs w/asparagus, onion, sun dried tomatoes plus banan

L:  deconstructed chicken taco (salsa, guac, lime), cabbage/pear slaw

D: beef patty, cabbage/pear slaw

I'm kind of tired of the slaw even though it's good.  I should be able to finish it up tomorrow.

Day 20 (yesterday)

Brunch :  fried eggs, potatoes cooked w/onions and rashers (from our butcher), avocado

D: sashimi salad: six different fish, sh), greens, cucumber, avocado, carrots, red cabbage; quail egg

Last night we ate at our regular sushi restaurant and they have a sashimi salad that has two kinds of dressings so I had  it without .  It was fine without.  Many years ago I never put dressing on my salads.  I just squeezed lemon juice on them.  I don't like most commercial salad dressings.  I slept in rather late yesterday so only ate two meals.  Often on weekends we only eat brunch and dinner.  I've tried to not to that during W30.

Day 22

B:  poached eggs, butternut squash cooked in coconut oil/ghee mix

L:  goat curry w/riced cauliflower

D: goat curry w/riced cauliflower

The goat curry turned out nice.  We used yellow curry power, goat, onions, potatoes and coconut milk.  The marinade seemed to help keep it tender.  If you aren't a person who likes lamb you may like goat if you can find it.  It's milder and at least the piece I had seemed leaner than an equivalent piece of beef.  I had hoped to finish it up today but there's a tiny bit left that I'll have to finish tomorrow.

Archived