Newbie starting today June 4

RunnerKelly

Here we go.  Day 1 it is.  I am in pretty good health but definitely have some bad habits (mainly all things gluten carbs which I LOVE and wine) so this should be interesting.  Want to drop 5 pounds at the most.   Can't imagine not weighing for 30 days but we will see. 

We leave for Europe 30 days from today so it will be good to get a reset.  

Off to get some scrambled eggs and fruit with black coffee for breakfast. 

Hi team June 4!  Get lots of rest this week and be sure to hydrate well.  If you're anything like me, expect to be groggy and spacey for a couple days.  My experience is that the first positive W30 benefit I experience is deep, wonderful sleep usually after just a couple of days.  And energy and clearheadedness follows a couple days after that.  Have fun!  Welcome to the ride!

I know already on day 2 that I am not going to enjoy breakfast on this program if I'm not in the office and have access to the cheap cafeteria for scrambled eggs and some fruit.  Meh.  I had some almonds, raw baby carrots and a hard boiled egg this morning (hard boiled 12 last night which was good).  I need to figure out some easy stuff because cooking in the mornings isn't going to happen.  Maybe I will bake an egg dish over the weekend with veggies and just eat that with some more vegetables while I am getting ready for work?   Any other ideas welcome 

I am good.  I lifted weights this morning and felt a little bit off but that could just be the day.  

Onward! 

My daughter did this and says that mixing 10 eggs with vegetable(s) of your choice plus salt and pepper, then baking in a muffin tray at 350 for about 30 minutes will give you several days of a breakfast you can eat on the go.

I also started yesterday (6/4) and I'm struggling, but hanging in there. I didn't plan for dinner tonight and I'm hungry now (4:20 PM), so I'm dreading going home from work. Gotta think of something.

Hi all, hope you're hanging in there on Day 3.

Re: breakfast:  I almost never eat eggs for breakfast.  I eat a "meal one" which is a big pile of roasted veggies (I cook those up on Sundays and eat them all week), a good sized bit of avocado and a compliant sausage.  Even when not on a W30, I eat that breakfast regularly because it fills me up for hours, it's delicious, it's fast and it's really easy.  But, I'm not much of an egg eater and I don't generally have time to cook in the mornings, either.

Where I always struggle is pre- and post-workout food.  I've read the recommendations about those a bunch of times and still haven't dialed it in right. Today I have an early spin class and normally would eat a banana and peanut butter ahead of time, breakfast after.  But I'm fumbling about trying to figure out what to put in my gym bag for the post-workout meal (and eating a can of tuna after riding hard for an hour is so unappealing) to tide me over before I can get to a good breakfast.

Good luck all!

Yeah...I run (hence the name) and have for more than 20 years.  Spin and lift too.  Seldom eat before I work out and generally work out for less than an hour so it doesn't really seem to matter.  I ran this morning for 3.5 miles through Central Park which was awesome and I definitely felt a bit sluggish with the lack of carbs but got it done.

Eggs, fruit, turkey bacon.  Sipping my black coffee now.  Check. 

My daughter told me not to get too hung up on traditional breakfast, so I got a little creative this morning and I'm having a few pieces of cantaloupe, a large tablespoon of almond butter and a handful of almonds. Eating slowly and it's not bad. The black coffee I could do without :(

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, MarcS said:

My daughter told me not to get too hung up on traditional breakfast, so I got a little creative this morning and I'm having a few pieces of cantaloupe, a large tablespoon of almond butter and a handful of almonds. Eating slowly and it's not bad. The black coffee I could do without :(

You might want to figure out some kind of protein to go with this, and ideally some vegetables. The fruit and fat combo may not keep you satisfied for very long.

Leftover grilled chicken, even eaten cold dipped in mayo or guacamole, might be good. I like these salmon cakes, either reheated or eaten cold:  http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/. Soups can be a good way to get extra vegetables in and are easy to make ahead and reheat, or if like me you're experiencing billion degree days already, try chilled soups like these:  https://whole30.com/2012/07/summer-soups/

Hi all!

So, yesterday was my anniversary and my husband decided to make us dinner.  It was also my nephews bday and we had to go there first (family obligations lol ) and ended up not getting home until 9pm.  I hadn't eaten since eating an apple at 3:30, I wasn't terribly hungry but I knew I had to eat something but at the same time it was super late.  Anyway my husband made steaks and when he set it all up I realized he used BBQ sauce on them!  I totally didn't want to upest him so I kinda tried to push the sauce off with my fork without seeming too obvious.  I hope that didn't set me back with the "sugar dragon", I was so looking forward to being sugar free for the first time in my life.

Feeling good today, no headache!  My breakfast was lettuce wrap with lox & guacamole!  Believe it or not one was super filling but I ate 2 because I wanted to have enough protein.  Cold brewed black coffee, I never imagined would be so good.

Glad everyone is doing good!

Not sure how to reply to someone on this post, so I'm trying to reply to Shannon. Thanks for your post. I thought the almonds have some protein, but anyway, I found I wasn't especially hungry and I just had my lunch (1:30 here in NY). I have trouble with vegetables from breakfast, but I'll try.

Lunch was a small piece of a leftover pork chop with some almonds and a few pineapple chunks. Drinking lots of seltzer. Also went to the gym between breakfast and lunch.

Day 3 - not finding it as difficult as I thought, but also not sure I'm really eating the best way...

I had a lunch meeting and did fine.  salad with mango, red pepper, shrimp, avocado, carrots.  Asked for the dressing on the side and just skipped it.

That being said I am HUNGRY and obviously haven't eaten enough today.  Off to a 2 pm meeting and then I need to grab some nuts or something.  I brought an egg and some baby carrots if I needed a boost as I won't get home until late tonight but that isn't going to cut it. 

Good morning June 4 peeps....how is everyone doing?

I think that I hit the irrationally annoyed day today.  Ha.  It is 8:30 and I have already wanted to bite the head off of two different people.  Thankfully after reading I realized that this very well may be normal so I have resisted and just said to myself get some coffee and breakfast and you will feel better

I didn't eat enough yesterday and woke up starving this morning.  Eggs, turkey bacon, fruit and some veggies and things are starting to hit my stomach.  I need to hit something more substantial for lunch today or things won't be good.  Perhaps some roasted veggies and a good piece of salmon.  

Also still tired but that comes with the territory.  I hope by the weekend it has improved. 

13 minutes ago, RunnerKelly said:

Good morning June 4 peeps....how is everyone doing?

I think that I hit the irrationally annoyed day today.  Ha.  It is 8:30 and I have already wanted to bite the head off of two different people.  Thankfully after reading I realized that this very well may be normal so I have resisted and just said to myself get some coffee and breakfast and you will feel better

I didn't eat enough yesterday and woke up starving this morning.  Eggs, turkey bacon, fruit and some veggies and things are starting to hit my stomach.  I need to hit something more substantial for lunch today or things won't be good.  Perhaps some roasted veggies and a good piece of salmon.  

Also still tired but that comes with the territory.  I hope by the weekend it has improved. 

He there Kelly! 

So I don't feel tired exactly, buuuut I haven't been getting up on time in the morning.  My gym buddy injured her ankle and its not easy to go to the gym at 5:30am alone, so I haven't gone all week.  And my evenings are super busy.  It is interesting to note that I have been staying up till like 12:30 every night and if I didn't force myself to go to sleep I could stay up much longer.  I wonder what it is that is giving me the umfph to keep going at night, when usually Im so tired.

My appetite has really decreased.  I wasn't a big portion eater before but I was an avid snacker and I haven't been that way at all.  So that's good.  Yesterday I was headache free but today I have another headache.  I'm hoping it wears off soon.  

Today's breakfast is 2 salmon cakes (recipe from the whole30 book) with a basil dipping sauce, and half an avocado.  I'm not even hungry for breakfast yet.

I'm sort of nervous for the weekend, that's usually when I do the most "boredom" snacking.

Hi everyone! I also started Monday, but just joined the forum. I'm somewhat vegetarian (I've been learning to eat chicken/turkey, but mostly sausages and cold cuts, I haven't graduated to full pieces of meat yet) and gluten-free, so I honestly didn't think it would be very difficult, but I'm finding it quite hard! My husband and I are doing it together, which is great, but its becoming clear that we need to actually really meal plan. 

Anyway, it will be nice to check in with others that started at the same time!

Kate

Checking in.  Morning all, Day 4 already! I had a 6:00 am workout with my strength coach today, and boy did I feel sluggish.  Like, c'mon, legs!  Halfway through I remembered I'm in the first week of a Whole30.  That would explain it!

Mornin!

Ok, I spoke too soon.  Yesterday I was exhausted and couldn't keep my eyes open and I had a paper due so I needed to stay awake.  I drank a strong black coffee at around 6:30pm, it kept me up till 3:00am!  And I forgot to eat dinner.  Oddly enough, I am not even hungry this am, but Im eating anyway.  Headaches are gone today.

Breakfast is lox avocado lettuce wraps and a coffee (again).  Terrible cycle.  I GOTTA GET BACK TO THE GYM!

Anyways, enough about me, how are you guys doing??

Have a great weekend!

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Jimmy J said:

I purchased a Nokia smart scale and weigh in daily. It's a great tool - logs all your data online. You can track your progress.  I've lost 55 lbs since I started January 14th.

Hang in there!

Weighing yourself is against one of the main rules of this program. Please don't encourage others to break that rule.

Well... I've been on the program since Jan 14 so the program changes past 30 days. Its imporant for people to know that they can live within the means of this program and do it successfully beyond 30 days. The smart scale is an invaluable tool as it tracks the progress of your weight loss, and more importantly the type of weight loss (fat vs water vs muscle). I would encourage people to invest in a proper scale. We tried several cheap units of Amazon until we bit the bullet and purchased a proper one that did real data logging.

Also I would recommend buying some keto test strips from your local pharmacy so you can check for the presence of ketones as well as to ensure you dont end up in ketoacidosis. 

Archived