What are Non-Starchy Vegetables

People talk about starchy and non-starchy vegetables.  Also, I was raised with the idea that starch veggies (squash, corn) count as you carb for the meal.  Just don't want to overdo it when I'm trying to pack in healthy veggies.

Depending on your activity level, gender, and how your body personally responds, you may need more or less starchy vegetables.  I personally do much better energy wise and mental clarity-wise with 1-2 fist sized servings of starchy veggies per day.  I assume you know, but just for future readers, corn is not a vegetable, it's a grain, despite all the "vegetable" sides in restaurants that are corn (and peas, haha).  Good luck!  I'm very into artichoke hearts right now.  If you do a google search, the american diabetes association has a list of starchy/non-starchy vegetables.  I'm not going to link to it because it includes off plan things.   It also, surprisingly, includes most squash as non-starchy, but only butternut and acorn as starchy.  

Thanks.  Part of why I'm doing this thing is to try getting my eating under control and make myself feel fuller on veggies.  I love veggies, but I tend not to feel like I've had a MEAL unless there's a big potato or hunk or bread.  :-/

Archived