Non-refrigerated suggestions

intheayyyer

I’m about a week in to my Whole30 and I came home to a broken fridge/freezer  and the next date to get it repaired is about 2 weeks away! (RIP to all the food I had to throw away- thank goodness for a close-ish by mom with an extra deep freeze!)

I still have limited access to a fridge and freezer at my moms and at work (both are a fair drive away but better than nothing- I just can’t get to them more than once a day), but does anyone have any good ideas for food prep that doesn’t require much refrigeration? Mainly for dinners/on weekends. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Moderators

If you have a cooler to use, that will give you more options -- just be sure you're replacing the ice when you need to and it'll keep foods at a safe temperature. Even a small cooler would let you keep some mayo or salad dressings and a few leftovers.

Other than that, cans of tuna or salmon and maybe chicken if you can find it. Most vegetables, as long as they're whole, will keep unrefrigerated for a little while -- not so much the leafy greens, but tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, and things like that should be fine for a day or two. You may end up at the grocery store more often than usual.

If there's any kind of community website for where you live, either on Facebook or something like Next Door, you might think about posting and seeing if anyone has an extra fridge, maybe even a small dorm-room sized one, that you can borrow or that they're looking to sell cheap. It never hurts to ask. 

Archived