Day 18. Want to throw in the towel

Let me start off by saying that before Whole30, I ate extremely clean and am super active. Day 18 of my first round and I am MISERABLE. I have zero energy, no "tiger blood," and zero appetite. I'm struggling to even eat 3 meals a day bc I have no appetite. Today I almost passed out shopping with my mom so we rushed to Chipotle for food. I wasn't even hungry but attributed it to my eating b/c it had been 4 hours since breakfast. I ate compliant carnitas, salsa, guac, and lettuce at 3:30 and am still not hungry (it's 8:30 pm). Although, I just made myself eat some shrimp with a sweet potato and a handful of dates, because without that meal I'm probably well under 1,000 calories for today. (Yes I know calorie counting is not advised blah blah but we all know less than 1,200 cals a day is just not healthy.) I do think my lack of energy and overall blah feeling is because of undereating, but I find it difficult to eat a lot in one sitting. And because whole30 doesn't advise snacking, there lies the problem.

I work out 3-4x a week, heavy lifting and lots of cardio. I sleep 10 hours a night and drink at least 100 oz of water.

Here's my average meal template:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled w/ peppers and onions, tomato slices, half avocado, coffee w/ coconut cream (Yes i know blah blah eggs supposed to be how many u can fit in your palm but 3 eggs leaves me overly full and uncomfortable)

Lunch: 1/2 canned chicken breast w/ complaint mayo, w/ dates, cherries, cucumber slices + carrots

No pre workout snack b/c cant stomach. Post workout snack = Epic stick.

Dinner: Salmon w/ old bay, or usually a chicken thigh, w/ sweet potato + another veg, usually broccoli

Please help ): I'm going to finish it out b/c I'm not a quitter. But that isn't to say that maybe Whole 30 really isn't for everyone? Maybe I do need my carbs- like whole wheat toast, oatmeal, quinoa, rice. To be frank, most research (before I discovered Whole30) says that these ARE good for you. At this point, I just want a damn cookie. I feel like I'm losing more weight and i don't need to be. I'm 22, 5'5 and 125 lbs and bf is 13%. I can't really afford to lose any more weight at this point. 

• Moderators

The only way to avoid losing weight is to eat enough to not lose weight.

If you truly can't eat enough in three meals, but would ultimately eat more if you broke it up into four or five meals, do that, because it is important that you eat. Three meals, no snacking is the recommendation because in general, for most people, it is what works best, but there are exceptions, and it is not a rule.

If you can't eat enough eggs at once, have you tried having two eggs and a little of some other protein to make up the difference? This is something many people do, because they can't eat as many eggs as is recommend, or they find that adding that other protein helps them feel more satisfied. Or just don't do eggs at all, if other protein works better for you.

Because you are needing to keep weight on, you might consider having more than one serving of starchy vegetable each day. Also, be sure you're adding fat at every meal in addition to what you cook in -- that is by far the easiest way to add calories without adding volume. Top a baked sweet potato with coconut oil or coconut cream. Make a chimichurri or pesto sauce and top your food with it (there are recipes for these and other sauces/dressings that would also work well here:   https://meljoulwan.com/recipes-index/

You might also find this article helpful:  https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Archived