is there a fat dragon? what's happening to me?

I am a person who has always enjoyed eating plain/plain-ish fats in situations where other people would be grossed out.

I've always been prone to nipping a little bit of fat off of a roasted bird, sneaking a spoon of plain mayo when I'm making a sandwich, shaving off tiny little sheets of butter to melt on my tongue, etc. 

Today I'm on Day 8 and I had a really weird snack. Please tell me if it sounds like I'm doing something wrong or if I'm going crazy. I had earlier made the whole30 ranch and i had the rest of the can of "coconut cream" sitting in my fridge. After my breakfast I ended up zombie-ing to the fridge and I ate an apple sliced up, with a smear of coconut cream and a dab of hot sauce on each apple slice. what is happening to me?

• Moderators

I personally wouldn't have added the hot sauce, but an apple with coconut cream sounds yummy. 

Fat, in and of itself, is not bad. It's also really tasty. It's not unusual that you like it, or that you eat it. I'm a little more concerned about the zombie-ing to the fridge part. What did you have for breakfast? Were you actually hungry when you headed to the fridge? Are you eating between meals regularly? 

If you were truly hungry -- as in you'd have happily eaten something bland and boring like plain steamed fish and broccoli -- then you should definitely eat. We'd recommend having a combo of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three. If you find you're hungry between meals most days, you probably need to work on your meal size and composition so that you're able to go 4-5 hours between meals.

If you weren't actually hungry, you probably want to figure out why you were eating, and come up with a plan for addressing that in the future. For instance, if you were bored, write down a list of things you can do other than eat when you're bored, and stick it to the fridge. When you find yourself looking for food, stop and think about if you're hungry, and if you're really just bored, pick something off your list to do instead. 

Archived