Jessica's First Whole 30

Jekkah

Hi all! So excited for my first round. I did attempt a Whole30 a little over a year ago but it kind of morphed into merely a 30-day gluten and dairy elimination diet. Intent on sticking to my guns this time, and purchased the Whole 30 Day By Day to help keep me on track.

My goals:

• really dial in to how certain food groups make me feel
  • see how the eliminated food groups affect my skin (acne and redness)
  • break bad snacking/weekend bingeing habits
  • prove my "stick-to-it-ive-ness"

My fears:

• That I'll end up self-justifying ways to cheat/cut corners
  • Accidentally getting PUFA'd at restaurants and having this diminish my results
  • It will really shine a light on how much alcohol I've gotten used to consuming

Day 1 - June 11

For the most part, this day was easy! Feeling confident, food's tasting great...only issue is I already accidentally broke the rules with sneaky carageenan. I bought Applegate turkey for snacks assuming it would be compliant...lesson learned!

Meal 1: ground pork with homemade sausage seasoning blend, bed of arugula/spinach, a few grape tomatoes, canned coconut milk in my coffee

Meal 2: salad with chicken, mixed greens, diced bell pepper, avocado, sliced strawberries and almonds, homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Snack: a palmful of unsweetened coconut flakes and 2 pieces deli turkey (now I know it's not compliant...grr!)

Meal 3: roasted chicken thighs, potatoes, green beans and red onion...yum!

Day 2 - June 12

Don't want to jinx myself but this isn't feeling hard yet. Though I don't really think it will get hard until the weekend - that's usually when I tend towards unhealthier food choices. Energy was okay today - I slept through my morning workout alarm but took a 30-minute walk on lunch break and another 20-minute walk after dinner. Again, I felt really hungry between meals 1 and 2 - tried adding some carbs to meal 1, but I think I need to add more fat instead. Will play with that tomorrow.

Meal 1: ground pork with homemade sausage seasoning blend, bed of arugula/spinach, a few grape tomatoes, canned coconut milk in my coffee, 1/2 baked potato with a little ghee

Snack: a palmful of unsweetened coconut flakes and a Nick's Stick grass-fed beef stick

Meal 2: salad with chicken, mixed greens, diced bell pepper, avocado, sliced strawberries and almonds, homemade balsamic vinaigrette

Meal 3: curry recipe from It Starts With Food: green curry paste, coconut milk, beef, broccoli, bell pepper + a baked potato for some carbs as I was really hungry!

Day 3 Reflections

Man! Today is the first day that was a bit of a struggle. No cravings and I'm doing fine with food, but I felt SO EFFIN' TIRED after lunch. Had some plain black tea to power through the last few hours of work - will have to see how that goes; I normally don't have caffeine after noon. May not be entirely Whole30 related as I was woken up 3 times last night by fireworks (??!!) in my neighborhood.

Will have to take it super easy tonight - I did walk a lot yesterday, plus I took a long (uphill!) walk today. Also, tomorrow I plan on having 1/2 avocado each at breakfast and lunch (instead of no avocado at breakfast and a whole at lunch) to try to even out my hunger levels.

Day 3 - June 13

Meal 1: breakfast salad with chicken sausage, arugula, spinach, coconut milk in my coffee

Meal 2: salad with leftover slow cooker shredded pork, greens, avocado, radishes, homemade pickled onions, primal kitchen ranch - this salad was soo good!

Snack: a palmful cashews

Meal 3: pork chops, roasted cabbage and carrots, an apple

Day 4 - June 14

LOL - last night I had my first food dream. I dreamt I was eating a piece of cake and I felt so mad at myself for giving up so soon! So relieved to wake up and realize it was a dream. 

Meal 1 - breakfast salad with chicken sausage, arugula, spinach, grape tomatoes, raw cacao butter blended in my coffee

Meal 2 - salad with leftover slow cooker shredded pork, greens, avocado, radishes, homemade pickled onions, primal kitchen ranch

Meal 3 - a piece of salmon with orange zest & juice glaze, stir-fried cauliflower rice with bell pepper and coconut aminos; I had a handful of coconut flakes after dinner which I didn't really need - it was just my after dinner sweet craving getting the best of me; I'll definitely be on the lookout for this tomorrow and do herbal tea instead.

Day 5 - June 15

Meal 1 - breakfast salad with chicken sausage, arugula, spinach, 1/2 avocado, grape tomatoes, coconut milk in my coffee

Meal 2 - salad with leftover slow cooker shredded pork, greens, 1/2 avocado, radishes, homemade pickled onions, primal kitchen ranch

Meal 3 - ground beef with taco seasonings, oven-baked smashed plantains, guacamole, red onion, scallion

Non-water beverages - espresso, coconut water, 8 oz kombucha

Reflections: the 1/2 avocado at breakfast + 1/2 at lunch seemed to really keep me satiated between meals so that was a success. Also successfully navigated my first evening outing with no problems! The fiance and I went out for a drink (I had an espresso) and a movie (I just had a coconut water). I really did not miss snacking at the movie which really made me question all the mindless movie snacking I've done in the past!

A problem today was that I feel like I overate a bit. I was still well satiated from lunch when it came dinner time. Fiance was hungry so I went ahead and cooked, but ate a normal sized dinner even though I wasn't really hungry. Even though all my dinner was totally compliant, I still felt a little bloated/uncomfortable afterward. Will have to start paying more attention to hunger levels even though food is compliant.

Day 6 - June 16

Meal 1 - salad greens with leftover taco beef, 1/2 avocado, red onion; 1/4 cantaloupe; raw cacao butter blended in my coffee

Meal 2 - fajita shrimp, steak, chicken, bell peppers and onions, pico de gallo and a tiny scoop of guacamole

Meal 3 - green salad with burger patty, onion, tomato, avocado, red wine vinaigrette

Snacks - grassfed beef stick x2; banana; handful unsweetened coconut flakes

Reflections: Today was an even bigger social success! Went to a baseball game with my fiance and his father & brother for Father's Day. It really didn't feel too hard to turn down beer and peanuts and stick to a bottle of water! Made me realize that though I really don't like the taste of beer I would normally have had a few just to be social. I need to remember this post Whole30 and save any alcohol consumption for the drinks (cider, wine, tequila) that I actually really do like.

I'm sure the fajita meat and veg at lunch were not cooked in a totally compliant oil, but I think I did pretty well at the restaurant my future FIL wanted to go to. I did put in my recommendation for our dinner restaurant - had done my research online and knew that there was a grass-fed, locally sourced beef burger joint nearby so I suggested it and everyone else went along! Had my burger made into a salad which was pretty good. I only wish I had brought along my own salad dressing - I thought about doing it this time but the baseball stadium is pretty strict about outside food/checking bags. Next time we're just going to be out for dinner (not going straight from a ball game!) I will definitely bring my own. Still felt hungry when we got home late at night so I did a little more snacking then I'd like. Interesting because I always blamed any late-night weekend snack munchies on alcohol - may be more of a habit-based thing, so I'll need to look out for that next weekend.

Archived