Avocado, cashews, & coconut = stomach aches

I am about to start my second Whole30 and am wondering if anyone knows why I get extremely bad stomach aches from eating avocado, cashews, and coconut (that's the list so far, at least).

When I say extremely bad stomach aches, I mean EXTREMELY BAD STOMACH ACHES. It's not the kind of stomach ache that keeps me in the bathroom (if you know what I mean); I just have to go to bed, curl up in a ball, and pray to God the intense, piercing pain in my gut goes away ASAP. I got really sick from eating an avocado and then later from eating some cashews, so I carefully experimented with literally one coconut flake (thinking it had something to do with high-fat foods) and still got a stomach ache (albeit slightly less intense).

Someone suggested I make sure to eat protein with fat to make it easier to digest. I tried that, but had the same problem.

Since I'm supposed to have fat with every meal according to Whole30 and apparently have major sensitivity to it, what do I do if I can't eat good fat? Anyone have any advice or know what might be going on with my stomach issue? I'd love to hear from you. Thanks ahead of time!

• Moderators

If you can eat whole olives, macadamia nuts, ghee or clarified butter, my guess would be that the problem is not fat, it is the avocado, cashews, and coconut. I am not familiar with those items being problems, but it does sound like you need to work around them.

So, other good fats to try... olives, macadamia nuts, hazel nuts, ghee, beef tallow.

I have the EXACT problem with avocado and cashews. A stomach ache so bad that medicine doesn't help and all I can do is go to bed and hope it's gone when I wake up. It happens with Brazil nuts as well. I just avoid those things and use olive oil. Good luck!

Yes, I could've been psyching myself out with the coconut... I was just really scared of getting another one of those terrible stomach aches! I'll try coconut again.

I was doing a little research about fodmaps; I don't have this reaction with any other food, though, so I didn't think much more of it. I'm no nutritionist, though, so maybe I should look into it more. Is it possible to be fodmap sensitive with only two foods (so far at least) on the fodmap list?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Yes, I could've been psyching myself out with the coconut... I was just really scared of getting another one of those terrible stomach aches! I'll try coconut again.

I was doing a little research about fodmaps; I don't have this reaction with any other food, though, so I didn't think much more of it. I'm no nutritionist, though, so maybe I should look into it more. Is it possible to be fodmap sensitive with only two foods (so far at least) on the fodmap list?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Susie -

I'd start by just eliminating the offenders for a bit, watching your reactions to other foods, and then maybe reintroducing in small amounts. Your digestion will change by leaps and bounds during the program, so who knows what next week will bring ;0)

• 3 weeks later...

Susie;

If you wouldn't mind, would you share any updates in this dilemma? For the past couple of weeks I have been cursed with my own stomach pains and increased gas, and have been narrowing it down to the same foods that you listed.

This started around the the end of a week of a cold I was fighting off by drinking a smoothie made of several cloves of garlic, half a large onion, carrots, a bell pepper and an orange in the morning and evening(Not my favorite smoothie combination but seemed to work without having to take meds). Could either the smoothie or possibly the cold of messed with my internal processes a bit?

I did notice that consuming a gas relief herbal tea that I picked up from a local shop helps with the pains, but regardless anything that can be figured out without having to watch for these foods would be great. I'm pretty sure I would miss these foods big time.

I started getting stomach aches with avocado, and when I talked to my mom about it, she does too! So avocado/stomach ache does have a connection for me. The stomach ache wasn't necessarily lay in bed, but I felt nauseous for about half that day at work (not fun!) and have just decided it isn't worth it for me. I don't like it at all, so I don't care if I eliminate it. And now I have an excuse to not eat it beyond "I don't like it" so my in-laws will stop pushing guac on me every time I'm with them.

Update: I did some trial and error with said food conflicts last week, It definitely has depended on how much I eat of each. One evening I had a small handful of cashews before dinner and had some stomach pains and gas. I tried avocado in my salad dispersed through two meals, same light pains and gas. One morning I had probably a little over a cup of home made coconut milk with breakfast and that dang near put me on the floor of my bathroom for a little while. This week I am cutting out these three foods to see where that leads my body. Oh also, drinking coconut water seems to be fine.

MrsStick, are you able to consume nuts and coconut without issues also? I'm really hoping this is a temporary imbalance for me because I sure do love me some guac.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I believe my issue is under control. In a different post I had looked at i believe about stomach pains, it was recommended to try a digestive enzyme with the meal. So last week I finally made it to a health food store and picked up said digestive enzyme to give it a try. That seems to have done the trick. As long as I take the enzyme at the time of consumption or a little after things seem to digest with no stomach pain thank goodness. I have even tried it with the consumption of concentrated handfuls of nuts or small glasses of coconut milk.

I am happy I do not have to ignore these foods anymore.

Archived