The Great Ghee Debate

Day 6 has started poorly for me. I just got into a debate about ghee and was told it’s the “worst part of Indian food” and “how could that ever be allowed in your diet”— I’ve tried looking up the health benefits of ghee but wondered if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation. Is it mainly allowed because it’s lactose-free? Appreciate any additional insight anyone has. 

I don't have research or a super specific answer but as I understand it  Ghee is considered a healthy fat. When not on whole 30 I highly prefer ghee or real butter to use rather than the processed spreads out there. It is a natural healthy fat and without the dairy protein it is considered a good fat on whole 30

10 minutes ago, Babsie95 said:

I don't have research or a super specific answer but as I understand it  Ghee is considered a healthy fat. When not on whole 30 I highly prefer ghee or real butter to use rather than the processed spreads out there. It is a natural healthy fat and without the dairy protein it is considered a good fat on whole 30

Thank you so much, appreciate the reply!

• Moderators

For more about ghee and why it's allowed on Whole30, check out this article: http://whole9life.com/2011/10/butter/ 

I'd also add that the reason many people would consider ghee unhealthy is simply that it is a fat. These are the people who would be shocked to learn that Whole30ers often eat a whole avocado every day, sometimes more. There are starting to be more reports out there that show that fat isn't necessarily bad, but many people still believe that eating fat is what makes you fat.  

I personally find that I'm happier if I don't discuss what I choose to eat with many people. If this person is someone whose opinion you respect, that's one thing -- hopefully the article I linked gives you a starting place for discussion -- but if it's someone whose opinion on healthy vs unhealthy foods is probably not going to influence your decisions about what you eat, you might want to try not to mention too much about it, or if they ask come up with a simple (polite) response like, I'm trying this for 30 days to see if it helps (insert whatever issues you hope to address with your Whole30) -- if I decide to continue eating this way indefinitely, I'll certainly keep that in mind, but for 30 days, I don't think it's going to hurt me. (Evidenced by the fact that the SuperSize Me guy recovered from 30 days of fast food meals -- I think it's safe to say you'll have no problem getting over 30 days of protein, fat, and vegetables, even if some part of it turns out not to be the right choice for you.) Or just smile and say, thank you for your concern, and then change the subject. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I do not keep mine in the fridge.  I imagine if it has come into too much heat it could have some melted and unmelted parts, but I don't think that's an issue.  I'm not sure which I love more, ghee or coconut milk.  Sauteeing spinach with ghee and then adding eggs for breakfast is one of my faves.  I do make sure my ghee is grassfed (I have a Sprouts near me and their store brand is grassfed).

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, pags98 said:

I do not keep mine in the fridge.  I imagine if it has come into too much heat it could have some melted and unmelted parts, but I don't think that's an issue.  I'm not sure which I love more, ghee or coconut milk.  Sauteeing spinach with ghee and then adding eggs for breakfast is one of my faves.  I do make sure my ghee is grassfed (I have a Sprouts near me and their store brand is grassfed).

I also keep a small jar by the stove and a larger jar in the pantry. Mine does sometimes separate a bit near the stove and become almost oddly mealy - but once melted it's fine. I don't worry about mixing.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m new to this forum and am trying to confirm that my ghee is compliant - it’s called 4th and Heart ghee, underneath that on the front of the jar it says “clarified butter,” but the ingredients say: “clarified butter (milk).” I’m assuming that’s just a precaution since it’s made from milk but want to confirm it’s compliant.  Thanks in advance for help!

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, kje77 said:

I’m new to this forum and am trying to confirm that my ghee is compliant - it’s called 4th and Heart ghee, underneath that on the front of the jar it says “clarified butter,” but the ingredients say: “clarified butter (milk).” I’m assuming that’s just a precaution since it’s made from milk but want to confirm it’s compliant.  Thanks in advance for help!

Yes, this is compliant. 

Archived