Here we go again...starting 6/18

BlueKoala

Hello.    I completed a Whole 30 last year (or it might even have been 2 years ago) but it's time to do it again.

Upside from last time:  new job where I don't have to travel for work any more, so no more having to load up the rental car as if I were setting up my own food truck.   Downside from last time:  my new office provides free carby snacks.   Eek.  

As an Obliger, I do better with tools to hold me accountable and I think posting on the forum really helped with this last time.    I'm committing to writing down everything I eat right here.   Hopefully that will keep me out of the Doritos.    Any lurkers, feel free to say hello so I have the added incentive of knowing there are people out there who will notice if I have to disclose the embarrassment of Frito Lay pushing me off the Whole 30 wagon .

(Chocolate and sweet things don't really tempt me, but I can stuff little crunchy salty things into my mouth all day.)

See y'all tomorrow :D

Day 1 in the books.     

I weighed myself today (ughhh) and printed out the Whole 30 Timeline to put over my desk at work.    

The plan is to start getting up early to exercise, but I did not manage this today. 

Meal 1:

WFW's Tex Mex Skillet w/compliant salsa and guacamole.    The skillet is onion, peppers, yellow squash, beef, eggs, scallions, spinach, and cilantro.   

(WFW is Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed Weeknights, which is probably my favorite cookbook even when I'm not W30-ing.)

Meal 2:

WFW's Dirty Rice.   Riced cauliflower, ground pork, chicken livers, Cajun spices/veggies, all mixed together in a glorious mess and then put over baby spinach with a little dollop of lard and some hot sauce.    OMG so good.    

Meal 3:

WFW's Thai Basil Beef with some coconut milk added to make it a curry.  Veggies:  eggplant, red pepper, green beans, scallions, fresh basil leaves.   Such a beautiful, colorful plate.    IMO it was very tasty and the flavors were subtle and not overpowering, but Young Miss Koala, age 13 and an unadventurous eater, did not care for it.   Give her credit for trying it, at least, and I will be happy to eat the leftovers for lunch later this week or next.  

(Mr. Koala ate before I got home, by polishing off the leftover pizza from this weekend.   I'm glad somebody ate it, but we really need to get weeknight household dinners a little better organized and eat together like civilized people.  Hmm, something else to work on this month.)     

Snacks:

Two hard boiled eggs and a handful of almonds.   Must do a better job of packing snacks tonight.   I have some homemade ranch dressing in the fridge that I made specifically to dip vegetables into.

It's a nice feeling to read over all of this and see how many vegetables I ate today. 

1 day down, 29 to go...

Day 2.

Meal 1:

Leftover Thai Basil Beef over spaghetti squash.   

Meal 2:

More Dirty Rice over spinach.    This is so good, it might be a while before I get tired of eating it.    Mmmmm.  

Meal 3:

Two HB eggs, two tablespoons W30-compliant guacamole, sliced red pepper, and homemade NNP ranch dressing.    These were supposed to be the day's snacks, but I was so busy running around all day that I didn't have time to eat them, and then I wound up staying late at work to clear out some backlog.   Okay, let's call it dinner, then.

Snack:

After I got home, I had a handful of almonds and then brewed myself a pot of peppermint tea as a substitute for my evening wine fix.    I could have done without the almonds, and probably should have - I wasn't really hungry, I just had that restless want-to-put-something-in-my-mouth feeling.    I was very careful to make the handful a small one (wound up putting back most of the ones I took from the jar), which I guess is an accomplishment of sorts.

Observations:

No Hangover yet.  Skipping that stage would be fine with me. 

Not much food today (at least it looks that way to me), but I'm not hungry.   I do feel kinda empty, and maybe a little lightheaded (but not in the dangerous "about to pass out" way).   Overall it's not a bad feeling.   I think I am going to be ravenous when I wake up tomorrow morning, though...

Day 3.    Same breakfast and lunch but  I'm not tired of them yet.    Give me a week or so and I'll be trying new things in an effort to keep myself on track, but right now the same old stuff is perfectly fine.  

Meal 1:

Leftover Thai Basil Beef over spaghetti squash.    I still have at least one more meal of this left.   

Meal 2:

Dirty Rice over spinach.     

Snack:

One HB egg, some sliced red pepper, and my homemade ranch dressing.   The dressing was so good that after the veggies and egg were gone, I ate the rest of it with a spoon, making annoying "nom nom nom" noises.  (This is the Sriracha Ranch dressing from Nom Nom Paleo, without the Sriracha.)  

Meal 3:

WFW Zucchini Pasta with Chicken and Pistachios.    This was excellent and I am thinking the leftover zoodles might serve as a nice frittata base for later in the week. 

Observations:

Still no Hangover.   Well, that window is closing and now it's time to move on to Killing All The Things.   Watch out, world!!!   

The routine of preparing dinner in the evenings is a very nice one, but it's reminding me of how much time you have to spend in the kitchen when on a W30.    Need to take better advantage of my weekend to premake things...

I feel as if I am not eating enough, but I'm not sure why.   I'm not hungry, and I'm not sleepy.  During my last W30 I learned that a sudden attack of the sleepies is one of my body's  "FEED ME SEYMOUR" signals.   

The peppermint tea I had last night apparently has caffeine in it because I wasn't able to get to bed until late.  This was my excuse for once again not getting up at an ungodly hour to exercise.  I couldn't get up, man, I was too busy working on my sleep hygiene!   Yeah, that's the ticket! :wacko:

Thank you for reading, if you are, and have a pleasant evening :D

Day 4.    Hangin' in there.

Meal 1:

Leftover Thai Basil Beef again, but this time I put it over spinach instead of spaghetti squash.     Because I am a total wild woman - you just can't tell what kinds of crazy vegetables I might impulsively throw in my breakfast!   WHOOOOO!  

Meal 2:

Dirty Rice over spinach.   

Snack:

I was craving sweetness and really wanting to have some of the Ritz peanut butter crackers that our office keeps in the kitchenette area, but instead I ate about four strawberries, some blueberries, and also a handful of pistachio nuts.    Then I had some macadamia nuts because I have a bag of them in my office and they satisfied my craving to crunch on things.   Then I put the nuts away and went and got another giant glass of water.    I'm counting this as a victory.  

Meal 3:

Chicken with duxelles and roasted brussels sprouts.   Duxelles is a mushroom paste from Nom Nom Paleo that is made with mushrooms, chives, shallots, garlic, thyme, and a little red wine vinegar - I whipped up a batch on Sunday.    It is just insanely good and greatly jazzed up my ordinary roasted chicken.    I am trying to think of other things I can do with it, besides put it in my breakfast omelets, and of course eat it by the giant heaping spoonful.

Observations:

Thinking about incorporating my slow cooker into menu planning for next week.   I like cooking but I really don't want to have to do it every single night.  

We got cucumbers in the CSA box and i made NNP pickles with them.   I have not yet tried them so I don't know how they taste, but they are chilling in the fridge for the next time I'm craving crunch.

Finally, I don't know what the Things might have told you, but the fact is that they needed to be killed and they were asking for it;  it wasn't me, it was them.   am fine.   (twitches) 

Day 5.    

Today's meal theme... "Cleaning Out the Fridge."   Because that's how we roll on Fridays here in Koalaville.  

Meal 1:

The last of the Thai Basil Beef.    I didn't put this over any extra vegetables, I was in too much of a hurry this morning.    

Meal 2:

The last of the Dirty Rice.      

Snack:

HB egg, pistachio nuts, 2 tablespoons compliant guacamole.  

Also a little cup of strawberries and blueberries, which I bought on the way home from work and ate in the car, because I was sooooo sleepy and I have learned this means I need to eat.   

Meal 3:

The last of the Zucchini Pasta with Chicken and Pistachios.     I liked this recipe a lot but nobody else in my family is really enthused about it, so I don't know when I'll be making it again. :/ 

Observations:

No Things were harmed today.   I wasn't even tempted.  Because I was too tired.   Not sure if this is the segue into the I Just Need A Nap stage, or if I am not eating enough or at the right intervals.    I do need to be doing some pre-emptive fueling before I have a chance to get sleepy and before I get into the fruit.    Fruit is fine, but I do not want to be eating it every day, and especially not as a "pick me up" in the afternoon, which will just teach my system to expect a little kick of sugar every day at the same time.       

I've been going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up on my own without an alarm, which is great.   Next week I start trying to add in exercise.   I do like to exercise and find it very stress-relieving, it's just hard for me to get organized to do it unless I get up early.   

Menu planning is definitely on the agenda for this weekend.   Although I wouldn't mind another week of Dirty Rice for lunch, I am going to find another recipe and switch things up just so I don't risk getting bored.    The ideal here is a one-dish casserole-type meal that will freeze well and reheat well and has a nice depth of flavor.   Suggestions welcome.

Have a great weekend, y'all.   

Day 6.    

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen today.    

Meal 1:

3 egg omelet with spinach, duxelles mushroom paste, and a spoonful of coconut oil.  

Also, some of the NNP pickles, which were really good.   

Meal 2:

The leftover chicken with duxelles from a few nights ago, put over spaghetti squash.        

Snack:

A peach.

Meal 3:

WFW Sesame Almond Cod w/Cauliflower Rice, and also some sauteed bok choy.   I liked this more than my family did.    

Observations:

I've about decided that the Tex Mex Skillet is next week's lunch.   It's not original, but it's filling, and it will allow me to put the peppers and zucchini in the crisper to good use.  

Tomorrow we have a Day of Outdoor Adventure (on the boat) that is going to require me to be the weirdo eating salmon cakes and hard boiled eggs while everybody else is noshing on sandwiches and chips.    No big deal, right?   Right.  

Day 7.   One week down!!  

We spent most of the day outside on the boat with some good friends, and my primary focus was keeping non-compliant food out of my system, so today’s meal structure is a little weird.

Meal 1:

4 egg omelet with spinach and a spoonful of coconut oil.    This was gigantic on purpose, to keep me full up and away from the processed carbs (and it worked).

Snack:

On the boat:   1 HB egg and a sandwich bag full of blueberries.    Oh, the things I could have eaten but turned down.   The most tempting of these was homemade guacamole, which looked delicious, but I wasn’t about to demand an ingredient list, particularly when I didn’t have anything compliant to dip in it anyway (sticking my sandy fingers in the communal guac bowl was obviously not an option).

After we got home:   2 spoonfuls sesame seed butter eaten right out of the jar.    Not very elegant, but it hit the spot.

Meal 2:

The leftover cod with cauliflower rice.              

Meal 3:

A bowl of Whole Life Eating’s Golden Cauliflower Soup and another HB egg for protein (I really wasn’t that hungry after two large meals).

Observation:

Half a dozen eggs in one day might be a record for me.

I feel like I'm getting in the W30 groove, but I'm trying not to be too complacent, given that Days 10 and 11 are coming up.    I've had some false starts on W30 before and they always ended badly on Day 10 or Day 11.     Hopefully thinking ahead and preparing will stave off any last-minute disasters. 

Day 8.     

Meal 1:

3 egg omelet with spinach and a spoonful of coconut oil.    

Snack:

A HB egg and some of my NNP pickles.     The pickles are pure compliant veggie crunchiness and I really like them.  

Meal 2:

Tex Mex Skillet with beef, eggs, zucchini, onion, pepper, cilantro, spinach, salsa (compliant) and guac. 

Snack 2:

A few spoonfuls of sunflower nut butter right out of the jar.               

Meal 3:

Rotisserie chicken (from our home rotisserie, so no risk of weird supermarket additives), and roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar.

No special observations to make today.      It's Monday.   Meh.

Day 9.     Powering through.

Meal 1:

2 egg omelet with spinach and a spoonful of coconut oil, and also the leftover brussels sprouts from last night.    

Snack:

NNP ranch dressing (I need to make more of this) and sliced red peppers.  

Meal 2:

Tex Mex Skillet with beef, eggs, zucchini, onion, pepper, cilantro, spinach, salsa (compliant) and guac.   Also the tiny bit of leftover ranch dressing.    Tasty and satisfying, kept me going all afternoon. 

Meal 3:

Beef and broccoli, W30 compliant.   

Observations:

I am feeling good.   Plenty of energy, not too tempted by unhealthy snacks, and I think my skin looks better.   

Last night I had a dream about salsa and chips, which is one of my Foods with No Brakes.  In the dream I only ate one, but I felt awful about it.

The meal plan for tomorrow is to clean up the leftovers.   The fridge is full. 

Day 10.    One-third of the way through!    

Meal 1:

2 HB eggs, stuffed in my face as I ran out the door late for work.     Not a W30-recommended meal, of course, but sometimes all you can do is get yourself to lunch without falling off the wagon.   

Meal 2:

Another Tex Mex Skillet with beef, eggs, zucchini, onion, pepper, cilantro, spinach, salsa (compliant) and guac.    

This may become my standard lunch, at least until I get sick of it, because I notice a definite improvement in my afternoon mood when I eat it - I don't feel the urge to nap or snack and my energy levels stay pretty even.    Much as I love Dirty Rice, it doesn't satisfy me all day.

Meal 3:

Leftover beef and broccoli.   

For "dessert" I had a handful of frozen cherries.   Costco sells these and they are a nice summer snack.

Observations:

Still feeling good and my skin definitely looks better.   

Bringing my lunch to work is now a habit and is saving me pots of money too - funny how eating lunch out 5x a week adds up, even if you are not going anywhere particularly expensive.    

Today the office had lunch from Panera (because somebody was having a birthday) and I declined to order anything, turned down cake, and instead just ate my own meal and enjoyed the opportunity to socialize with the nice people I work with.      Nobody made any comment on the fact that I wasn't eating takeout food like everybody else.   I think I get too worked up about seeming "weird" in these kinds of situations when in reality, this isn't high school and nobody really notices or cares what I am eating.  

Last night's Forbidden Food dream involved a giant glass of white wine.   (Chardonnay, nicely chilled.)    In the dream somebody gave it to me and I'd sucked down half of it before I remembered I wasn't allowed to have it on the Whole 30.    I do miss wine, but (I remind myself) going without it for another 20 days isn't going to kill me. 

10 down, 20 to go.   I'm doin' this. 

I hear you on the wine.  :D

We've been taking our dinner leftovers for lunch at work for years.  It saves a lot of money and we both work in locations where going out to lunch would take well over an hour as nothing is close.  In fact, I get comments on my fancy lunches sometimes.

I *so* miss wine, but I think it's probably a good idea to remind myself that I don't need to drink it every day.  ("No, really, you don't," she tells herself firmly, as she pours another cup of tea.)  

My Day 11 post apparently got eaten by the Internet gremlins, possibly because it was so boring and contained pretty much the same foods as the day before...same old same old.   But I am still on plan, so on to Day 12.  

Day 12.    Approaching the halfway mark.   Past the Days of Doom, curses be upon them (forks sign against evil eye at Days 10 and 11).   Also:  it is FRIDAY.   W00t. 

Meal 1:

3 egg omelet, spinach, tablespoon of coconut oil, and two pieces bacon.   Being able to have bacon made me happy;   I woke up thinking about it.   And yes, it's W30-compliant - one of Day 11's highlights was the arrival of my very first ButcherBox.  

Meal 2:

Another Tex Mex Skillet with beef, eggs, zucchini, onion, pepper, cilantro, spinach, and salsa.   But no guac, because I ran out.    The guac was missed but the skillet was still tasty and it still kept me going all afternoon. 

Meal 3:

More leftovers.   One bowl Golden Cauliflower soup, two HB eggs, and some of the NNP pickles.    We were going to try some of the steaks in the ButcherBox but they haven't quite thawed yet and it seemed silly to cook them given the amount of stuff we already had in the fridge.  

Observations:

Having compliant leftovers at the house makes a huge difference in staying on track.

Costco trip tonight for compliant guac, compliant smoked salmon, and ground beef.    Mr. Koala bought a variety of cheese he likes and that I haven't had previously, and he offered a taste to me.   "No, thanks, I absolutely cannot have dairy right now."  "Not even a little bite?"  "Nope.   Ask me again in 19 days." 

I'm sleeping pretty well, getting up without an alarm, and my energy levels are consistent throughout the day.    Due to work and errands, I had a really late lunch and a really late dinner, but I didn't feel tired at all.     Not sure if this is the magical power of the Tex Mex Skillet or if my body is adjusting to its new energy sources.   I have one last lunch serving of Dirty Rice left in the freezer and I am thinking I will bring it with me on Monday and test its effect.   Dirty Rice is delicious, but I am not eating it for workday lunches if it isn't enough to get me through until dinner without a snack or a nap.

Not to get into TMI here, but my digestive system is still cranky about all this.    I'm hoping it's just the gut bacteria having a joint nervous breakdown and that they will get over it already.    

I do need to add exercise to this mix, which means I need to start going to bed earlier.   This is hard for me.   One thing at a time.

Happy weekend, y'all. :) 

Day 13.    Rainy Saturday.

Meal 1:

3 egg omelet with smoked salmon and spinach and a tablespoon of coconut oil.   

Snack:

NNP pickles.    

Meal 2:

Bowl of Golden Cauliflower soup and two HB eggs for protein.   Is there a max on how many eggs one person should eat per day?  Asking for a friend.

Meal 3:

Filet mignon (from the Butcherbox), sauteed mushrooms, roasted brussels sprouts.   This would have gone fabulously with a nice red wine, but instead Mr. Koala had a beer and I had Pellegrino. 

Observations:

If it stops raining, we're planning a day trip to a local spring tomorrow.   Besides the sandwich fixings and snacks for everybody else, I am packing HB eggs and compliant tuna salad for me.  Also, since I probably won't be home most of the day, I already made my lunches for the week and got my slow cooker pot roast ready to go so all I have to do tomorrow is put the ingredients in the pot and turn it on.

I am not having any more dreams about forbidden food, which is actually rather disappointing (I could really use another glass of dream Chardonnay).

Tiger Blood can arrive any day now.   I'm ready.

Day 14.     Two weeks down, almost to the halfway mark.  

Meal 1:

3 egg omelet with spinach and mushroom and a tablespoon of coconut oil.      

Meal 2:

We were out near the water with our cooler so my food was consumed as several batches of snacks over the course of the day and not really as a "meal."   I had 2 HB eggs, 3 salmon cakes (the ones from ISWF), and some strawberries.     I resisted the potato chips, which were calling my name rather loudly after an hour or two of swimming in ice-cold water.   

Meal 3:

Slow cooker balsamic pot roast, carrots, and potatoes.      Unfortunately, this was not a successful meal.   The meat came out really dry and somehow the carrots did not seem to be cooked all the way through.   I was using my Instant Pot as a slow cooker, which I understand can require some adjustments, and I think I must have done it wrong.   (Oh, dear Instant Pot, don't feel bad...I still love you.)   The food wasn't inedible, it just wasn't very good, but I was hungry and I hate to waste food so I ate it anyway and packed the remains in the fridge.    Tomorrow I will see if I can salvage it.  

Snack:

After dinner I found myself obsessing somewhat about the half-eaten bag of BBQ chips sitting on the counter in our kitchen (there is a reason I normally do not keep chips around the house), so I distracted myself with a field trip to Trader Joe's;  TJ's is not located anywhere near our house and I rarely shop there, so I went off to look around and treat myself to something new.   I wound up with a cherry pie Larabar and also some new salsas to put on my morning omelets/lunchtime skillets.   

The Larabar really does taste like cherry pie, but it was way too sweet for my taste and so I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Observations:

All good - plenty of energy, stable mood, and it's been a great weekend for completely non-food-related reasons (although I am also feeling very smug about my avoiding the potato chips).    Looking forward to the week ahead.

Day 15.     Halfway through!!!

Meal 1:

Smoked salmon with paleo mayo and dill.    This was something I threw together in a hurry to bring to work with me and eat.    It was really good, but yeah, definite veggie shortage here.   

Meal 2:

Tex Mex Skillet with beef, eggs, yellow squash, onion, pepper, cilantro, scallions, spinach, salsa, and guac.       

Meal 3:

Weird assortment of 2 HB eggs, some sunflower seed butter (mmmm), and the leftover brussels sprouts. 

Observations:

Not hungry, not really wanting to eat.   I remember being really bored with food towards the end of my prior W30 but I think it took longer to kick in.

Yesterday's pot roast and veggies were allowed to soak in their own juices/sauce overnight and then put back in the pressure cooker for 5 minutes.  This seems to have "fixed" them - Mr. Koala had some for lunch and he says it was delicious.      

Last night I had a dream that I was eating something served in milk and I immediately felt terrible about falling off the W30, but then I realized that it was actually coconut milk and was very relieved.   Milk is something I stopped drinking a long time ago and don't miss at all  - and the only thing I can think of that is served in milk is cereal, which I don't miss either - so I don't know where this came from.   Hoping for more dreams about forbidden foods that I actually *like*.

You know you are on the W30 when you get excited about a new LeCroix flavor.  The new one is Key Lime and I have some cans chilling in the fridge.    Why I am so excited about this, I don't know - I like lime Le Croix but it's not my favorite (that would be cran-raspberry) and how different can Key Lime really be?   I guess I'll find out, huh?  

Also:  my gut bacteria have finally gotten with the program - at least, they have stopped complaining at me, which I will take as a good sign.    

I like the idea of dill with a bit of mayo to go with smoked salmon.  In the past I would mix dill with cream cheese so this would make a good substitute.  I prefer to only eat wild caught fish and have found it hard to find that in the stores I most often frequent.  Everything seems to be farmed. 

This is farmed salmon "raised without antibiotics"....which at first I thought was just a stupid trendy catchphrase.   (Like "artisanal," or the way every non-grain item on the shelf is now advertised heavily as "gluten free.")    Then I Googled it.   And it's true, they do give fish antibiotics.   Fish.  Ugh!   

(Rant not ranted:  why soy is a regular ingredient in canned tuna.   Why?)

Day 16.    Awaiting Tiger Blood.

Meal 1:

3 egg omelet with mushroom, spinach, a tablespoon of coconut oil, guac, and some of my new Tomatillo Roasted Yellow Chili Salsa from Trader Joe's.     The salsa was really good and a nice change from my usual boring supermarket brand.   

Meal 2:

Tex Mex Skillet with beef, eggs, yellow squash, onion, pepper, cilantro, scallions, spinach, the new salsa again, and guac.    I am in a total lunch time rut but I'm not tired of this yet and it covers all the food bases, so I'm just going to keep eating it.  

Meal 3:

Work let out early due to the holiday tomorrow, and I came home and just lazed around drinking unsweet iced tea and working through a new series of books on Kindle Unlimited.   Then we had a big family conference call about an issue with my elderly mom.    Then it finally occurred to me that it was well past dinner time and even though I wasn't feeling hungry, I really needed to eat something.   So I had one of my salmon cakes, some pistachios, and a spoonful of sunflower seed spread (not on the salmon cake).     

Observations:

I rather like the pattern I'm in of eating giant breakfasts and lunches, but it means I need to plan a little better for light dinners.   Salads, maybe?  That would go well with the summer heat and boost my daily vegetable totals.    

Tomorrow's holiday agenda includes meal planning for the week.  I had such fun over the weekend that I didn't have time for this.   I am not sure how involved our family dinners will need to be this week, given that we are going to have leftovers out the wazoo- Mr. Koala is smoking ribs for the holiday and we will have lots left over.   He's keeping a batch of them sugar- and sauce-free for me.

Finally, I am sorry to report that I am not enthused about the Key Lime LeCroix flavor.   It tastes exactly like....a Skittle.  I will finish the 12 pack (eventually) but I am not buying more.   

3 hours ago, BlueKoala said:

(Rant not ranted:  why soy is a regular ingredient in canned tuna.   Why?)

I always wonder about that too.  I had to buy the most expensive albacore tuna possible at Costco because the Kirkland brand had some kind of preservative in it.

Day 17.   

Meal 1:

Smoked salmon w/paleo mayo and capers, and some sauteed spinach.   The capers were good but a little overpowering.   Next time I will stick with dill.     I slept in this morning thanks to the holiday so this was a late breakfast.

Meal 2:

Dirty Rice leftover from the first week.   (It's been in the freezer.)     

Meal 3:

Smoked ribs, raw snow peas, and some paleo mayo to dip the snow peas in.   This was actually bad menu planning on my part,  I was going to sautee the peas but ran out of time.   Fortunately, raw snow peas are delicious!    And I am happy that I got some veggies in to balance the protein from the ribs.  

Observations:

I was planning to work out menus for the rest of the week but then I looked at the fridge, and it is packed.   So we're just going to eat leftovers for the next few days and I will re-evaluate and regroup on the weekend.   Having a mid-week holiday has thrown my mental scheduling off; I keep having to remind myself that it's Wednesday and not Saturday.    If I don't go to bed reasonably early tonight, I am going to be a very unhappy koala when the alarm goes off tomorrow morning.   ("But....but....it's Sunday!"  No, it's not.  Bah.)  

Happy Independence Day, y'all.  

Yes!  I love vinagrettes and anything tangy.    Adding capers to tuna would be a good idea....hmmm....

Also, I have a lemon caper chicken recipe that everybody in the family loves and will eat, but it is not W30-friendly...we could skip the flour-dredging stage, maybe, but the sauce has wine in it so no joy there. 

Man, I miss wine.  (sigh)  

The CSA veggie delivery came today and it has lettuce and tomato in it, so my previous salad plan is a good one - I just need to make some more ranch dressing (I could use olive oil and vinegar, of course, but where is the fun in that?)   

Archived