Started June 12

socaldebbie

Finishing Day 5, and going to start logging food in case I need the reference! So far: hungrier than usual. Already sick of eating meat three times a day. No hangover and no "kill all the things" response.

Food today was irregular due to Father's Day activities.

Breakfast: Banana and almond butter; restaurant meal of sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, cooked in olive oil, and a slice of Canadian bacon

Mid-morning: small slice of breakfast casserole with eggs/sweet potatoes/sausage/peppers/onions

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad with balsamic and olive oil; almonds; apple slices

Later: RX bar

Dinner: Carrots and celery, sunflower nut butter, Epic bacon and pork pieces

Tomorrow should be easy enough, but then I have a two-day business trip.

Today's menu, day 6:

Breakfast: banana, breakfast casserole (eggs, sausage, peppers, onions, sweet potato); 1/2 avocado; black coffee

Lunch: chicken sausage, peppers, onions, cauliflower, potatoes, sauteed in avocado oil; olives; apple

I'm wrestling with a mental aspect: I HATE eating this way. I don't like this much meat and I feel greasy with all this fat (literally, my face is super oily). I have to keep reading success stories to remind myself why I decided to do this.

Finishing day 9. Settling in and hating it a bit less, but still can't wait for it to be over. Not feeling anything yet, no hangover, no particular tiredness. The Nutpods came today so at least I don't have to have black coffee.

Breakfast: egg/sausage/sweet potato/peppers/onions casserole, banana, 1/2 avocado, black coffee

Lunch: large serving pork al pastor over romaine and tomatoes, 6 large olives, avocado oil vinaigrette dressing

Pre workout: handful of pork jerky bites

Post workout: turkey jerky sticks (yuck) , 1/2 cup pumpkin puree

Dinner: 1 serving tri tip, compliant barbecue sauce, roasted potato, celery stuffed with almond butter, marinated cucumbers/onions, strawberries

Day 11.

Breakfast: Quiche with hashed brown crust and eggs, sausage, peppers and onions (equivalent 2 eggs and 1/4 cup chopped up sausage; chia pudding with 1 cup coconut milk and banana; coffee with Nutpods

Lunch: 1 sausage with roasted potatoes and peppers/onions/cauliflower; 1/2 avocado

Snack: 1 serving roast beef wrapped in lettuce, 1 tbsp sunflower nut butter

Dinner: about 1.5 cups salsa chicken with mixed vegetables and cauliflower rice; 1/2 avocado

Day 14. Not feeling good, not feeling bad, nothing. Hot flashes less than what they were 10 days ago but not gone.

Breakfast: Hash of 1 large sausage, about 2 cups potato and mixed vegetables, a handful of olives, coffee with Nutpods; small apple

Lunch: Chicken curry made with coconut milk, over cauliflower rice, 1/2 avocado

Snack: Chomps beef stick, 1 tbsp sunflower butter

Dinner: Large salad plus 4 oz pork al pastor, dressing with 1 tbsp avocado oil plus balsamic

Day 15, hallelujah! Halfway there...except that I'm probably going to have to go one extra day to time reintroduction around a big party on day 32.

Feeling: Nothing different. No cravings, no funky dreams, didn't have a hangover, no extra awesomeness. Not counting on tiger blood.

Shoulder: hurts

Knees: hurt

Leg: hurts a bit, wasn't hurting all day but started a little while ago

Breakfast: Quiche of hashed browns/eggs/sausage/peppers/onions; 1/2 avocado; coffee with Nutpods

Lunch: stuffed bell pepper, baked sweet potato with 1 tbsp ghee; olives; marinated cucumbers; small apple

Post-WO: palm-sized sausage patty, 1/2 cup pumpkin

Dinner: Cold meats: compliant roast beef, salami, prosciutto, 5 oz total; compliant bbq sauce; roasted potatoes; raw radishes and celery with compliant veggie dip

Day 16. Over the summit and heading downhill. This was the first day I didn't run right to the calendar to mark off another day.

Feeling: hmmmm, did have some energy this afternoon. Nothing like tiger blood but I at least felt motivated to get away from my desk rather than find a way to kill time at the computer. That's despite having slept badly last night, which has been the case every night since I started. I don't think I've made it all the way through the night once.

Knees: hurt

Leg: been hurting like heck since last night

Sniffles: still runny nose during spin class

Breakfast: quiche, 1/2 avocado, coffee with Nutpods, small apple

Lunch: 5 oz pork al pastor with large bowl of romaine, celery, bell pepper, tomato, 1/2 avocado, tossed with avocado oil and balsamic

Pre-WO: small portion salami

Post-WO: palm-sized sausage patty, handful of roasted potato

Dinner: "spaghetti": zucchini zoodles, 4 oz sausage, handful of olives, compliant marinara. I'm more than stuffed.

Day 17. This was the worst day so far for temptation. Not cravings exactly. Just wanting that one bite of Halo Top. Or a swig of Vitamin Water. Some pasta. Just something that's not on the plan. Maybe I'm just feeling a little rebellious today. I was also hungry all day, as happens sometimes when I haven't slept well and those appetite hormones are off kilter.

Shoulder: not hurting

Knees: haven't really tested them today, not hurting now

Leg: hurts

Breakfast: quiche, 1/2 cup coconut milk with 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (ended up more or less cold pumpkin soup, but it was an experiment), coffee with Nutpods, apple

Lunch: stuffed bell pepper, 5 spears asparagus, handful of olives, apple

Snack, because I really was hungry at about 5 but didn't want dinner so early: about 2 oz roast beef, spoonful of sunflower nut butter, hunk of raw cabbage. handful of grapes

Dinner: salsa chicken, guacamole, roasted white/sweet potatoes. Probably a little low on protein in the salsa chicken/vegetables concoction.

Day 21. Single digits in sight...Got a full night's sleep last night for maybe the first time since starting this. Wanted the cheese and cookies and champagne in the airport lounge last night really, really bad. The chicken salad for dinner on the flight home was a very sorry substitute. There are two cookies, that I know are very good, in my pantry. I satisfy myself by reminding myself that soon enough I can have them if I really want them, though I'm sort of hoping that by then I won't want them. Looking at the calendar, though, I realized that I'm still almost three weeks away from re-introducing gluten. Still feels like a long time, but I want to do reintroduction right.

Tonight I made a cake for my dad's birthday and tasted none of it, not even the little corner bits that fell off all by themselves. I'll take that as some sort of willpower victory. I feel no particular effects of any of this, except maybe for the food boredom in the timeline (but I haven't been crazy about the food the whole time). Definitely no tiger blood here - I actually forgot all about it till just now. Clothes aren't any looser.

Leg: hurting a little, wasn't hurting most of the day

Knees: haven't really tested today

Breakfast: hash of sausage and about 2 cups mixed vegetables, plus a handful of olives. Was still hungry so added another 1/2 sausage and a small apple

Lunch: salsa chicken and vegetables, about 2 cups total, with guacamole; handful of cherries

Snack: Epic bar, hunk of raw cabbage

Dinner: mixed meats, about 5 ounces, with compliant bbq sauce; about 1 cup mashed cauliflower; baked sweet potato; ghee on both the cauliflower and the sweet potato

Day 22. The biggest success of the day was finding that chicken and sweet potato recipe - man was that good, that's a keeper. If nothing else I'll have found some good recipes through all this. I was reminded on another blog that mine is an "experiment of one" - everyone else's results are immaterial. My Whole 30 is only mine, no one else's.

Breakfast: Quiche, representing roughly 2 eggs, 1/4 cup chicken sausage, about 1 1/2 cups hashed browns and mixed vegetables; 1/2 avocado; coffee with Nutpods. This usually fills me up but this time I was still hungry, so I added 1 1/2 oz sausage and about another half cup of mixed veggies.

Lunch: Hash, totaling roughly 1 chicken breast, 1/2 sweet potato, 3/4 cup spinach, 1/2 apple; 1/2 avocado; about a large handful of marinated beets

Dinner: About 5 oz chicken sausage, 3/4 cup chopped mixed veggies, handful of olives, compliant marinara; 1/2 cup mashed cauliflower; 6 cherries

Day 23. No changes. The best news of today was that I got the menu of the fancy dinner party I'm attending next Saturday (day 32) and there's really nothing I could reintroduce that day that would allow me to eat anything that I wouldn't eat now. So my plan will be to begin reintroduction on day 31 and have a good dinner before going to the party. It's all appetizers so I won't be that obvious for not eating much, but it's going to be hard to keep turning it all down.

Shoulder: was hurting during spin class, kind of radiating down my arm

Knees: not bothering me

Leg: not hurting

Breakfast: quiche, olives, coffee with Nutpods

Snack, since I was hungry around 10:30: chicken sausage patty

Lunch: chicken/sweet potato hash, about 6 baby carrots and 5 radishes with almond-based veggie dip

Pre-WO: handful of Epic bits

Post-WO: salami

Dinner: 4 oz hamburger patty, baked sweet potato with ghee, marinated cucumbers, handful of cherries

Day 27! Woot! Woot!

So, weirdest thing, since this morning I've had stomach cramps. Not severe but enough to keep me out of the gym and I had to force down some dinner. Was very sleepy this afternoon as well. No idea what's different all of a sudden. It really needs to go away, both because of tomorrow's business trip and because I want to start reintro on day 31! Dairy, I'm coming for you!

Shoulder: sore

Knees: not hurting but didn't challenge them at all today

Breakfast: quiche, olives, coffee with Nutpods

Lunch: 4 oz pulled pork, about 2 cups mixed vegetables, compliant barbecue sauce, 1.5 tbsp almond butter

Dinner: about 1 cup cabbage/cauliflower soup, 2 oz chicken sausage, olives, 5 cherries

Day 28!

Stomach is doing better but not quite all there. I've realized that the business trips aren't that hard if I plan a little. Veggies aren't that hard to come by on the road during lunch and dinner hours. Meat snacks and individual portions of olives travel well. I do find myself relying on nuts more than I should and it's hard to stay on schedule, especially given changing time zones, but I pretty much managed today.

Shoulder: was radiating down my arm earlier

Knees: not hurting

Breakfast: about 5 oz chicken sausage; about 3/4 cup roasted butternut squash; grapefruit sections; banana; packet of almond butter

Lunch: mixed nuts; about 3 oz grilled chicken with arugula (on the plane)

Snack: Chomps beef stick, small packet of olives

Dinner: 4 oz roast beef; raw carrots/radishes/bell peppers, about 2 cups total; portion of black olives

Day 30! Day 30! Day 30!

Painful to stick to on 28 and 29 due to the business trip. I didn't have everything timed properly but I stayed compliant all the same. with meals following the template. I am sooooo glad to have this done but I didn't want to quit without giving it a chance. Tomorrow: Milk in my coffee, plain Greek yogurt with breakfast, cheese on my chili with lunch, maybe some butter on my sweet potato with dinner.

I'm eager to take weight and measurements tomorrow, though my clothes aren't any looser so I'm not expecting much. Maybe a little bit off the belly region.

NSV: Leg hasn't hurt for a few days now, which is good. However it is not compensation for having re-discovered hot flashes.

Shoulder: Same as before, still hurting

Knees: Right was hurting during spin class, left not so much

No other NSV that I can discern. No increased focus, no increased energy. Nothing.

Breakfast: Avocado/sausage/tomato/onion/spinach bowl (1/2 avocado, 4 oz chicken sausage)

Lunch: 4 oz pulled pork with about 2 cups mixed vegetables and teriyaki sauce; 1/2 avocado; handful of cherries

Post-WO:_ sausage patty, about 2 oz

Dinner: Ground beef and vegetable chili, marinated cucumbers, about 3/4 cup roasted butternut squash

Awesome job finishing!! My first whole 30 I had no NSV, only scale victories lol. Well, I take that back the biggest victory is I didn’t have carb cravings like I did before. But I didn’t have increased energy, or focus or anything resembling tiger blood either. I still don’t know why. My third whole 30 I finally did have tiger blood, and my fourth I did as well but not as much. Anyway my point is even if you didn’t get that amazing feeling that’s totally fine and there’s nothing wrong with you and you didn’t do anything wrong! You must Ben so happy and proud! Nice job

@mdjess86, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and I truly appreciate the encouragement. I/m really OK with having missed out on the whole tiger blood thing and would have preferred a scale victory anyway. I'm just feeling a little irritated with all the conversation around "life changing" and "change your relationship with food." Not.

Official results: 3.4 pounds down, but that's within the range I was fluctuating before I started so I'm calling that a wash. 3/4 inches off my waist, 1 1/2 off my midsection, and 1 3/8 off my hips - that matters more than the scale, so there's my victory. Maybe it will continue after reintroduction.The leg pain I was daring to hope was gone is back with a vengeance today.

I know I didn't do anything wrong, but I grow weary of reading success stories and having so little of my own.

Archived