Hotel breakfast?

socaldebbie

Finishing day 5, and this week I'll have my first of what will be two or three business trips before the big 3-0 . I'm a little concerned about breakfast. I'll probably have access to a hotel buffet, which will mean eggs (which I'm allergic to, so no go), possibly potatoes (probably cooked in oil, could be butter) and breakfast meats (probably not compliant). So other than a plate of fruit, where am I? I'm planning to pack almonds, packets of almond butter, some meat sticks. For this week's trip, I won't have a car, may or may not have a supermarket around, and don't think I'll have a fridge in my room.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I would do a good bit of scouting about the location and what's available. Find out if you'll have a fridge in your room. If they're not standard, find out if you can rent one. See if there are grocery stores nearby. If there are, catch an Uber and hit up the grocery store. Just because you don't have a car doesn't mean you can't leave the hotel. 

• Moderators

You might try calling the hotel and asking if they can do a special breakfast for you -- it'll depend on how they do their breakfast bar, but if they know in advance they might be able to help you find something. 

If you don't find grocery stores nearby, check out restaurants to see if there's anything that looks like it might work. If you don't think you'll have time to get to one in the morning, even just to pick up an order, find out if there are delivery services that will deliver to your hotel or to the location where you're working -- something like Uber Eats or GrubHub, or if those don't seem to be available in that area, ask the hotel if there's a local one they recommend or ask other people that work where you'll be working, if you know them. 

As far as taking food with you, since you're flying there are obviously more restrictions, but you might be able to do pouches or cans of tuna or salmon, olives in pouches or drained and in a ziploc bag or tupperware type container, even fruits and vegetables either whole or cut up. Double check the TSA's website (assuming you're in the US, otherwise find the equivalent for your country): https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food 

Thanks much. I'll be arriving at my hotel around 8:30pm, so while it's possible to Uber to a supermarket somewhere I'm not going to ask myself to do that this round! I'll be in a college area so there are likely plenty of eateries - just no telling what they'll be.

Seafood is out of bounds, and I've been assuming that unless I can have some potatoes I'll have to rely on whatever I can carry with me for breakfast. If the meats are out of bounds, then there's not much they can prepare special anyway, can they? I'm only too familiar with TSA regulations, and with PreChek I have a bit more latitude in carrying on things like the nut butter packets. Cut up fruits and veggies have been traveling with me for a long time!

• 3 weeks later...

SoCalDebbie-  how did your travel go with the hotel food?

I am most likely going to need to travel out of town in about 10 weeks for work and want to stay as close possible to sensible eating.  I am post W30 on my eating plan and only on occasion but regular consume dairy and alcohol.    Did you have any issues packing food on flights?

Archived