Eczema flare up on Day 48

Lmar416

Hi there - I'm not sure what do next. I successfully completed the Whole30 and my eczema cleared half way through. I just started the re-introduced non-gluten grains and had a serving of rice. Unfortunately,  I also had spring strawberries as well (first time in 48 days) and my eczema flared up!  Now I don't know if it's the rice or the strawberries - my favourite fruit :( I haven't had either since the flare up. Back to W30 until I decide what next. The rules say go back to W30 and revisit later. Complete the re-introduction.  But I have a container of strawberries in the fridge and they're compliant. And this flare up will take who knows how long to settle now.  I think I know the answer and I'm bummed.  Should I stay off strawberries and revisit?  (but the season will be over) Sad.

Thanks for any insight,

Ontario Strawberry Lover

• Moderators

It's up to you, really. If you're pretty sure it's the strawberries that caused the flare up, eating the rest of your container will just delay your eczema clearing up and might make it worse, so do you like strawberries enough to live with the eczema longer, or possibly even have it get worse? Or do you want clear skin enough to pass up the strawberries so the eczema clears up a little sooner and doesn't get worse? Truly, there's not a right or wrong answer here, it's totally up to you, you just have to decide what your priorities are. Just in case it was the rice, though, once you get the eczema cleared up, I'd reintroduce the rice again and see what happens. If you really want to test the strawberries again, you could freeze a few to have once it's cleared up too. 

If you want some supporting "evidence", I have eczema too, and if I have too many strawberries (half a dozen is fine, a punnet is not) I get either a flare up or hives, so it definitely could be the culprit.

Archived