I’m on Day 7 - introduction overdue

gethealthyjoan

Hi Folks,

Next month I’ll turn 77 - it feels like I’ve been on & off a “diet” my whole life. All throughout, I’ve never really felt good, but that didn’t stop me from full bore working until a retired at 62. When I retired, I was over 330 lbs. After slipping from pre-diabetic to diabetic, I realized that I needed to “do something”. I was extremely depressed & actually bought a gun. I am admitting this to give you some idea of the depths of my despair almost 14 years ago. I have two beautiful daughters & a gorgeous grand daughter and the thought of hurting them helped me from carrying out any drastic action. I realized that I didn’t have the willpower to diet until I was a normal weight & felt  better. My Gynecologic suggested that I consider bariatric surgery. Once I researched that method, that’s what I did. This procedure helped save and/or extend my life. With my type “A” personality, I was determined do whatever it took to change my lifestyle. I began eating better and exercising daily, slowly at first. In about a year, I lost 1/2 of my weight, felt better & liked the way I looked. Over the years, I very slowly put on about 50 pounds. Beginning about 20 months ago, I began “dieting” - was successful loosing that weight. However, I was cycling on & off, gaining & loosing about 10 pounds. Again, I felt that I needed to do something because I didn’t want to regain my lost weight. I have been looking into anti inflammatory diets as well as the Paleo diet - sort of following an anti inflammatory diet. Neither of those approaches were satisfying for me - I still didn’t feel good & knew there I had no physical issue. One night one of my daughters told me about a program that both she & my grand daughter had started - Whole30. Even though she encouraged me to get the book, I didn’t. Instead, I went online to learn about it. Although the online site is wonderful, I didn’t really “get it”. About a week of eating/not eating foods suggested, I fixed two cups of hot chocolate sweetened w/stevia (forgot stevia was a no-no & didn’t read label on Almond Milk) and I ate some ice cream (because I was trying to get rid of it!).  On that day, I down loaded The Whole30 book to Kindle on my iPad. Once I began reading it, something clicked and I realized that I needed to begin again on Day 1 - this time understanding what foods to ear or not eat to be compliant and the reasons for the Rules. I have since down loaded “It Starts With Food” and “Day By Day” books. Today, I am on Day 7 and now realize the many reasons for “fighting my weight” all my life AND why, even tho I was “eating healthy”, I wasn’t feeling good. I love the idea of a reset to help me discern the foods that cause me problems. I believe following Whole30 will change my relationship with food - FOREVER!!! I finally have a plan that will keep me healthy AND feeling great :)

Thanks, so far  :D Had a dream last night that someone left a small bag of chips on the table, which I ate! Couldn’t decide if I should continue or begin again - woke up before I made the decision :wacko: I suppose that dream was an unconscious fear I have. Being mindful of what I am eating by not doing something else, is challenging for all those years of eating while watching TV, texting or otherwise distracting myself. Also had a habit of grazing that I am breaking. Reading Melissa’s book, “It All Starts With Food” has been a huge help for rational support & the “Day To Day” book, for the emotional support…

• 3 weeks later...

Archived