Pre and post-WO meals after Whole 30

I tried to find this elsewhere but don't see it addressed - once you have completed a Whole 30 and reintroduction, do you continue to eat the pre- and post-WO meals?  Or is that part of becoming fat adapted and once you're there you don't need to include those on a daily basis?  I'm certainly planning to keep them after long runs (7+) miles because I see an appreciable difference there but am wondering whether they are intended to be a regular part of life or are part of the transition during a reset?

For reference, I run daily - most days approximately 45 mins to an hour, some days I run shorter but also do 1 hour barre or yoga (back to back - so I take the class and then run immediately or vice versa).

• Moderators

It's generally accepted in the workout community that you would eat a pre and post workout meal... often you can skip pre depending on when you workout and when your meals are spaced based on that but post is always recommended.  It's not to do with fat adaptation, it's to do with replenishing your muscles while they're open and receptive to fuel.

• 1 month later...

I am contemplating running my first marathon and have been on the Whole 30 (pretty religiously) for nearly a year.  My question is: Were is the best pre- and post workout regimen in the Whole 30 books  to ensure I have the proper amount of carbs, nutrition, electrolytes (I prefer Fizz) and is it possible to remain compliant or should I shift to the usual carbs (e.g. pasta) to make sure I finish without doing damage to life and limb! 

My goal is to finish without injury and have fun!

Any help, advice enormously appreciated.  Need soon thought, because the event is oct.28!

What have you been using for pre- and post- workout for the past year?  Surely that's the best thing to continue on with?  Or have you not been eating them to date?

Additional training will require additional nutrition (inclusive of carbs and protein), but it doesn't need to come from foods you haven't eaten in a year. Just increase the amount of food you're eating in your main meals (particularly the meal before your runs), and start experimenting with what foods work for you pre-run and during (if necessary).

In terms of electrolytes, there are ones out there that don't contain too much filler (there may even be one that is compliant), or you could just use coconut water. Whether you need it at all depends on how hot it is where you live, and how much you sweat - it's not actually a requirement of running a marathon ;) 

Archived