Sourcing Good Food in U.K and/or Ireland

Derval

This might be a bit of an odd question, but where can I buy l kale that isn't pre-cut into little strips?

This annoys me!! Waitrose has even started selling chard this way too.

I can usually find it at green grocers and the occasional supermarket.

I found these olives at Sainsbury's and really liked them. Packed in real olive oil, imagine that! ;)

Olives Et Al: Producers of Olives, Nuts, Dressings and Sauces

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

500g of sunflower seeds for £2.25 (and less than £3.00 for the organic ones) at Holland & Barrett.

They just reduced the prices on a lot of their nuts, seeds and dried fruit but I have no idea how they compare to other shops. (I don't snack on nuts, just occasionally throw a handful on my salads, so it's not something I compare prices on)

Now I have homemade sunflower seed butter :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone in UK/IRELAND manage to find compliant sausages? Hoping to do another w30 soon but going for autoimmune protocol which means eggs are out. I'm on day 27 of w30 (not aip)and have lived on eggs so far. Thanks

Hi Hazel, I'm in Dublin too :) I've got some at farmers market in farmleigh - and also in M&S, in the green pack - british chipolatas - all the other M&S sausages have sulfites, even the ones without rusk, you have to label read like a maniac!

Did anyone in UK/IRELAND manage to find compliant sausages? Hoping to do another w30 soon but going for autoimmune protocol which means eggs are out. I'm on day 27 of w30 (not aip)and have lived on eggs so far. Thanks

Tesco & some of the other big supermarkets sell the Debbie & Andrew brand - they're gluten free & pretty much Just Meat. They come in a pack of 6, look amongst the "Finest" sausages that come in a tray. 

Also by the bye, Tesco's "Ingredients" fish sauce is compliant, the only ingredients are anchovies & salt. It's not normally with the other Asian stuff, but in a separate Ingredients section, if you're hunting.

Debbie and Andrew brand also compliant, fab, will keep on the look out for them. Good to know about the fish sauce, I have been having Frank's hot sauce a lot and it is compliant aswell. Nom nom!!

Hi Hazel!  I'm on the same wavelength as you with the W30 - today is day 29 - YAY!!  I'm also planning to do another W30 starting 1 August (skipping July and just eating Paleo then as I'm going home to the States on holiday) on the AIP.  Maybe we should buddy up?  I love having someone in the UK doing it when I am!  ;0)

Also look at this thread for sourcing food in the UK:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8444-calling-all-uk-whole30post-whole30-ers/

On the Tesco website they have Graig Organic Boerwors All-Meat Sausage that is compliant.  They don't carry it at every Tescos though.  Also, on the Ocado website they have Laverstoke Park Organic Cumberland Sausages - only meat & seasonings!! I also love the Spoilt Pig bacon that Tescos carries if you're looking for other breakfast ideas!

Tesco & some of the other big supermarkets sell the Debbie & Andrew brand - they're gluten free & pretty much Just Meat. They come in a pack of 6, look amongst the "Finest" sausages that come in a tray.

All of the Debbie & Andrew brand sausages at my local Tescos are NOT compliant - they all contain sulphites. Just double-check labels!

Can anyone tell me where I can get coconut aminos in the UK? I've tried goodness direct and they don't have it, nor do Out Of This World in Nottingham.

Also is it possible to get Jicama here? I've seen some delicious looking recipes and I'm not that keen on sweet potato so wanted to give it a try, but can't source it?

Starting my 2nd W30 today.  One thing I won't be eating is the Alpro Hazelnut drink that came free with my Waitrose delivery on Saturday morning with a flash promotional wrapper "Water and just hazelnuts".  happy Days I thought until I read the label.  Ingredients: water, sugar, hazelnuts ... and a few other yucky things.  Yup "water and just hazelnuts - oh and actually more sugar than hazelnuts"  crazy! 

I haven't seen jicama at the big supermarkets (and I've been looking for the last three years), you might have better luck with a more ethnic shop.

Loubee, I'm back for a 2nd W30 as well (on day 3 now), I was excited about that hazelnut drink too until I read the ingredients.

I had a bit of a rant at Morrisons on Saturday because no one in the shop knows what is in their deli meat  "Preservatives and things" was the best answer I got along with an 0845 number to call their head office. (Then I got home and had a rant about the lack of free phone numbers in this country :) ) 

I order several bottle sat a time from iherb, if you use my code in the sig you'll get a discount too.

Thanks for that - just ordered from them, and shipping isn't too bad either? I went for the $4 shipping so not due until next week. Thanks

Yes Christina! That would be great. I was wavering on my commitment to doing another one in august but 2 days of reintroduction have not gone well so I think I need to do AIP protocal in august.

Enjoy your holiday

Hi Hazel!  I'm on the same wavelength as you with the W30 - today is day 29 - YAY!!  I'm also planning to do another W30 starting 1 August (skipping July and just eating Paleo then as I'm going home to the States on holiday) on the AIP.  Maybe we should buddy up?  I love having someone in the UK doing it when I am!  ;0)

Also look at this thread for sourcing food in the UK:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8444-calling-all-uk-whole30post-whole30-ers/

On the Tesco website they have Graig Organic Boerwors All-Meat Sausage that is compliant.  They don't carry it at every Tescos though.  Also, on the Ocado website they have Laverstoke Park Organic Cumberland Sausages - only meat & seasonings!! I also love the Spoilt Pig bacon that Tescos carries if you're looking for other breakfast ideas!

All of the Debbie & Andrew brand sausages at my local Tescos are NOT compliant - they all contain sulphites. Just double-check labels!

Archived