Sourcing Good Food in U.K and/or Ireland

Derval

TDC- I bought a fairly reasonably priced kombucha starter kit from ebay (Happy Kombucha). They have their own website, but things on ebay included free shipping.

Zingano- Guar gum is okay on a W30.  There's also a brand you can buy on Amazon that only contains coconut and water.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

NEWSFLASH (or at least it was news to me!): Kerrygold have started doing Unsalted Butter, which is great because I've been making ghee with the salted stuff which is fine but it does get really salty towards the end of the pot. I saw it in a big Tesco in Stafford priced at £1.70 each, the same price as the salted stuff. At the same place I saw Yeo Valley butter was on offer, 2 for £3 or something like that. I also noticed a billboard advert for Lurpak clarified butter; I haven't been in a supermarket since I saw the advert so don't know where you'd buy it but anyway I'm not sure Lurpak use grassfed animals. I doubt I'd buy clarified butter anyway as I can't imagine it's cheaper than butter and I don't mind making my clarified butter every couple of weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

*-*Lurpak are now doing a "cook's range" which includes a handy pot of clarified butter..aka Ghee. Its currently on offer in Tesco!

*-*Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that M&S chipolatas were compliant? but I went to check today and all of the sausages "Contain Sulphites". Its not in the recipe so does that mean that it is naturally occuring sulphites and they are compliant or are they totally out because it says they contain sulphites?

*-* Chorizo from M&S is compliant, along with some of their jarred Olives - just come in virgin olive oil :) They also have crispy bacon which is great to add to salads, no sugar. It does contain Nitrates but I don't mind them, organically cured or not theres gonna be nitrates in there whether they're chemical or naturally occuring in things like celery.

*-* Aldi Bacon is compliant too, they have streaky, smoked and ordinary which are all good and a bit cheaper :) Smoked salmon from Aldi is also compliant. Ground almonds are cheapest in Aldi too! unfortunately all their dried fruit is covered in sugar :(

*-* Pink himalayan salt is sold in tesco - in their "ingredients" section, along with chipotle chillies (yum) and palm sugar (for when you're not on whole30 and dabbling in some baking)

*-* I order coconut oil online, Biona Raw Organic Virgin Coconut Oil is the best and I think the best value if you haven't got space for a huge vat of it in your kitchen. £7.99 for 400g from buywholefoodsonline.co.uk - they also sell desicated coconut, tapioca flour, almond milk etc etc for a lot cheaper than in tesco so combine your order to save on delivery

*-* Nakd bars (not the crunch ones) are a god send when You're in a pickle and can only manage to rustle up some scrambled eggs. the new caffe mocha flavour is amazing! They sell them in tesco, I ordered offline but it's actually no cheaper there is just more variety available.

I find it intiially more expensive to eat during whole30 and paleo (Have been paleo since January and am on day 23 of my first ever Whole30) but in the long run I'm eating less crap, spending less money on a coffee here and a biscuit there so I don't mind buy a steak or a nice cut of meat every now and again. I don't worry too much about grass fed because most british Lamb should be greass fed anyway, along with beef. British standards for meat and animal health and welfare are a lot better than the intense farming industries of the USA so I know that buying organic or free range is working just fine :)

Hope everyone is doing well on their whole30's!

:)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been reading through this thread looking for the info in the last post :( I want pickles... and sauerkraut but I think I will live with pasteurised stuff... I wonder if you go over the 2 day warning on the jar does it actually start producing healthy bacteria again?

Clannah, I don't know if you can find this brand where you are http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/329291_Raw_Health_Organic_Sauerkraut__Unpastuerised_410g.html - Cheap, live, sugar-free and widely available in England.

They do that brand in the Health food shop in Dundrum asfaik, must check it out. The Hopsack in Rathmines seem to stock it, they sell Kombucha too.

Thanks Ellie.

My Serbian friend makes her own saurkraut and gives me some, I also had a great contact that made me kimchee, in fact I'm going to see if Ic an meet her & get some.

You're welcome! One day, I will actually get organised to make my own - it's only cabbage, salt, water and a big jar! But, our first Whole30 is not the time to fix and improve absolutely everything, right?

Live, homemade kimchi sounds amazing. I can only find live stuff with lots of unnecessary additives for sale.

The real kimchi is FAB, sadly just heard back from her & she is on way back to Dublin & has to start a new batch. She only charges me pittance for it too, like €3 for the big hellmans jar full.

Sorry not a fan of sundried tomatoes so I am no help, but I have discovered that Clonakilty mild cure back bacon (I got it in Tesco but I think it's widely available) is W30 friendly.  Also Galtee streaky bacon.

I do a lot of my shopping online with Tesco and have never perused the ingredients link so intently before!  Am kind of embarrassed that I never realised that dextrose was just another name for sugar!

Derval,

http://www.melis.gen.tr/en/product.php?menu=68&id=34 Melis brand are preserved in sunflower oil, which you could pour out and replace with olive oil - compliant, but not optimal. (M&S, as you probably know, do them in olive oil, but not compliant as they contain sugar.) Melis are available in my local Tesco - hence the recommendation.

I've also bought dried sundried toms, rehydrated them in water and then stored them in olive oil - like these (although I found them in a shop!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suma-Organic-Sundried-Tomatoes/dp/B005KRGNRC

Wow in the 3 months since I posted the paleo world in the UK has exploded! There are a number of paleo websites you can buy paleo compliant food and snacks, there are paleo snack delivery companies, there are loads of paleo bloggers based in the uk and more and more supermarkets are stocking compliant food.

Kerrygold unsalted is now available in my local Waitrose so I use that for ghee. Tesco do sundried tomatoes in olive oil and nothing else. Debbie and Andrews Harrogate sausages are paleo friendly (not sure if whole30 friendly though!!)

I made my own kombucha for the first time the other day, very pleased with myself! If anyone is in London and wants to start making it I'm happy to hand over a Scoby! Be prepared for weird looks from friends as most people think I'm completely batty now!

Derval,

seeing as you seem pretty close to me, where do you buy your ghee?
Can't help snigger every time I use that word, sorry.   :lol:

(To those unaware, the word gee is another word for female genitals..)

Considering making my own, might be cheaper and nicer.  Anyone done this?

Also do you have a good source of nut butter?  Found some cashew butter in a local supermarket but it was something like €6 a jar!!

Thanks!

Hi heyho :)

Easy to make your own! (And cheaper!) I used the instructions here. First time I made it I let it get a little too dark so it had rather a toffeeish flavour, not unpleasant but not intended, so that's pretty much the only way it can go wrong.

(Hadn't heard that use of the word ... :lol: Did use to know someone whose surname was Gee!)

You can easily make your own nut and seed butters too if you have a little food processor (worth the investment).

Derval,

seeing as you seem pretty close to me, where do you buy your ghee?

Can't help snigger every time I use that word, sorry.   :lol:

(To those unaware, the word gee is another word for female genitals..)

Considering making my own, might be cheaper and nicer.  Anyone done this?

Also do you have a good source of nut butter?  Found some cashew butter in a local supermarket but it was something like €6 a jar!!

Thanks!

You want to hear about my ghee? :lol: I think it's only an Irish thing Ytu.

Super easy to make your own, I do, wouldn't consider paying 4 times the price for the sake of some simmering.

Re nut butter bulkprotein.ie sell 1kg of almond butter for €12.99 I think, that's the cheapest option out there. Check Amazon for 3 pack of Meridian almond butter, used to be good value, but then they changed suppliers (ie not amazon) so the postage was added on :rolleyes: but worth investigating.

But worth mentioning that there aren't that many way for nut butters to fit legitimately in to the template and are a "food with no brakes" for lots of people - me included - apple & almond butter snacks etc...so you might be better off without.

Archived