Basic mayo super bitter?

I made the basic mayo tonight for the first time and gah it turned out really bitter! Like too gross to eat. I'm bummed cause I really don't want to toss it (I hate food waste) but I can't imagine adding it to any recipes. Every site I've looked at says to add sugar (duh can't do that) or to use a different oil (I used extra virgin olive oil).  Suggestions?!?!

• Moderators

Extra virgin olive oil does make a bitter mayo, and very, very few people like it. For this batch, since you've made it already, you could try mixing it with different seasonings and see if you can make it a little better -- add some hot sauce, or look at some ranch dressing recipes and add the herbs they use, or mix it with mustard and chopped dill pickles to go on a burger patty. 

Next time, try using a different oil -- light tasting olive oil works well and is inexpensive and available at most grocery stores, some people like avocado oil (I think many people buy this at Costco, but I don't have a membership there so I'm not sure which one -- if you google Whole30 forum avocado oil you should find past discussions), macadamia nut oil is a little more expensive, at least near me, but it works well, or high oleic (this is important) sunflower or safflower oil. (The high oleic thing means that the oil is closer in its nutritional profile to extra virgin olive oil rather than the less healthy regular seed oils -- here's some explanation:  https://foodwatch.com.au/blog/fats-and-oils/item/q-what-is-hi-oleic-sunflower-oil-3.html 

Thanks Shannon, the olive oil was the culprit. I ended up going out and buying the light tasting and I am shocked at how much better it tastes! (obviously should have read the recipe more closely). I'll try your suggestions to salvage the original batch.  Thanks for your response!

Amy

• Moderators

Pesto, chimichurri, and vinaigrette type salad dressings usually use evoo because they have a lot of other flavors that help balance out the bitterness, but if you prefer the lighter taste of the light olive oil you can use it. 

Archived