starting over and trusting the program, even the scale part

Yesterday I was on day 22 of my first Whole30. Before I began, I read "It Starts with Food" and "Whole30" and hoped I could commit to the the program and finally slay my Sugar Dragon. She is larger than life btw.. . I was plugging along and feeling so satiated, I thought, "this can't be right." Contrary to everything I read, on day 8, I got on the scale.  I hadn't lost the extra 5 pounds I wanted (yes, I am delusional) and immediately my mood plummeted and my resolve shifted. I continued to weigh in for the next 13 days. As usual, I allowed the number to dictate my entire day and my meals became "how little can I eat so I get a good number tomorrow."  At day 22, I wasn't feeling Tiger's Blood, I wasn't tuned into my NSV's and I couldn't wait for day 31 to come so I could eat a sleeve of Oreos, a dozen cupcakes, cookie dough by the spoonful or all three!...."Wait,  I thought Whole30 was going to change my relationship with food?"  As all of you who are on this forum know, it will, but it can only be life-changing if you honestly follow the black and white rules. Yesterday I started reading "Food Freedom Forever" and payed specific attention to the reset chapter. It has inspired me to begin again and this time I am all in. Not just with the foods to eliminate, that's the easy part for me, but with the mindset as well. It started with breaking the seam on my "Whole30 Day by Day" and connecting with the amazing community of Whole30 peeps in this forum. Thank you for being there and having the courage to share your stories!  

Welcome back!  I think it was about 10 months ago, I completed a Whole30 and the support group here that were on about the same schedule called themselves the Dragon Slayers - I became virtual buds with a moderator here who will likely chime in, so you are in good company :)  

The Whole 30 truly did change my life.  NSVs - I went from pre-diabetic (and my doctor e-mailing me personally to tell me I had to do something about it) to completely normal blood sugar; I got off of blood pressure medications and my BP is lower than it was on meds; the inflammation in my arthritic ankle cleared up enough to allow me to run again; I gave up my diet soda habit; I learned to LOVE vegetables; I resurrected my joy of cooking.  I'm sure there are more - it's been a life style change - I just continue to eat Whole 30 about 95% of the time, so I sometimes forget what I used to be like.  

You can do 30 days!

Archived