Round Two of Whole30 starting August 4th. Anyone with me??

Hope4Overcomers

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I think whole30 is not for me and this will be my last day (18). I honestly have never felt worse in my life and feel on the verge of tears 24/7 and this is so bad for my kids . When mom is doing bad, everyone is and I don't want to put my kids or myself through this any longer. 

Best wishes to everyone who is (re)starting today! 

I'm on Day 17 and honestly struggling a little bit with not being able to "reward" myself with food. My fiance and I hiked over 20 miles in the last week, including 15 this weekend. On Sunday, our hike was a bit tougher than our usual (though not our hardest hike by any means) and I really wanted to be able to come home and eat a fabulous pizza or burger and ice cream. I felt like I deserved something amazing after working my body so hard. 

As much as I loved my first Whole30, I never got to a point where I felt like I didn't want those foods. I never got to a point where I truly changed my view on this concept. Because I do think it's okay to do that (particularly for me since I don't have any food sensitivities). I still generally like the idea of an 80/20 or 90/10 concept where I eat Paleo/Whole30-ish the vast majority of the time but then don't worry about it for times like this. 

I guess I'm starting to really think again about what life looks like after Whole30. And I still don't have an answer that sounds good to me for forever. That's hard. I'm making such a big change. I need this to transition into a permanent lifestyle... And that's really the hardest part of all of this! 

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

We really, really don't want people to obsess over macros or calorie counting. That's why it is listed the way it is. And you are free to mix and match fats. If you make a taco salad, for instance, and you add guacamole and olives and a few nuts for crunch, that is fine. If some meals have a little more fat and some a little less, that's fine. You want your meals to leave you feeling satisfied for 4-5 hours at a time, if you're getting in your vegetables and your protein and some fat at each meals, going 4-5 hours between meals without feeling like you're starving before you get your next meal, you've probably got everything about right.

Glad you explained that. It makes sense.

36 minutes ago, Cmclean said:

So, I think whole30 is not for me and this will be my last day (18). I honestly have never felt worse in my life and feel on the verge of tears 24/7 and this is so bad for my kids . When mom is doing bad, everyone is and I don't want to put my kids or myself through this any longer. 

So sorry to hear you are going. Hope you feel better soon.

33 minutes ago, slc_melissa said:

@wp3

How are you coming up with 1700 calories from fat per meal?  If I model 1-2 heaping handfuls of, say, olives as a can of olives, that's like 250-300 calories.  If I call 2 thumb sized portions of olive oil as about 3 Tablespoons, that's about 350 calories....

Look at what the template says you can have per meal. You can have ALL of the following per meal:

1/2 can coconut milk (I counted that as 7 oz)

1 avocado

1-2 thumbsizes of oils (I counted it as 2 tblsp)

1-2 thumbsizes of butter (ghee, etc)

1-2 open (heaping) handfuls shredded coconut (I counted this as 1 cup)

1-2 open (heaping) handfuls olives (I counted this as 1 cup)

One closed handful nuts and seeds (I added this as 1/4 cup sunflower seeds)

I plugged all of that into an app called chronometer and that is what I got.

29 minutes ago, kirbz said:

Best wishes to everyone who is (re)starting today! 

I'm on Day 17 and honestly struggling a little bit with not being able to "reward" myself with food. My fiance and I hiked over 20 miles in the last week, including 15 this weekend. On Sunday, our hike was a bit tougher than our usual (though not our hardest hike by any means) and I really wanted to be able to come home and eat a fabulous pizza or burger and ice cream. I felt like I deserved something amazing after working my body so hard. 

As much as I loved my first Whole30, I never got to a point where I felt like I didn't want those foods. I never got to a point where I truly changed my view on this concept. Because I do think it's okay to do that (particularly for me since I don't have any food sensitivities). I still generally like the idea of an 80/20 or 90/10 concept where I eat Paleo/Whole30-ish the vast majority of the time but then don't worry about it for times like this. 

I guess I'm starting to really think again about what life looks like after Whole30. And I still don't have an answer that sounds good to me for forever. That's hard. I'm making such a big change. I need this to transition into a permanent lifestyle... And that's really the hardest part of all of this! 

I definitely want to go to a 90/10 as well but I want to lose that 100 lbs first. As long as I can manage it and not slide I'll be happy. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, wp3 said:

Look at what the template says you can have per meal. You can have ALL of the following per meal:

1/2 can coconut milk (I counted that as 7 oz)

1 avocado

1-2 thumbsizes of oils (I counted it as 2 tblsp)

1-2 thumbsizes of butter (ghee, etc)

1-2 open (heaping) handfuls shredded coconut (I counted this as 1 cup)

1-2 open (heaping) handfuls olives (I counted this as 1 cup)

One closed handful nuts and seeds (I added this as 1/4 cup sunflower seeds)

I plugged all of that into an app called chronometer and that is what I got.

Each meal should include 1-2 fat servings. So pick one or two of those, generally in addition to what you cook in, since that may be divided among multiple servings and often stays in the pan and isn't consumed. It's okay to occasionally have a little more or a little less, but in general, 1-2 servings is what you're aiming for.

4 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

Each meal should include 1-2 fat servings. So pick one or two of those, generally in addition to what you cook in, since that may be divided among multiple servings and often stays in the pan and isn't consumed. It's okay to occasionally have a little more or a little less, but in general, 1-2 servings is what you're aiming for.

Huh. Then the template needs to be clarified because it seems, from how it's phrased to indicate more than that. 

@Cmclean I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so awful! Whole30 is hard but I don't think it's supposed to be that hard!

I most definitely want for you to be able to find all the encouragement you need here on the forum. But I also think it's okay to say that maybe this isn't right for you. You shouldn't be miserable. 

Here's how I think about it. Whole30 is intended to be an experiment to find the best way of eating for your body. Perhaps your personal experiment is simply telling you that this is not the right food path for you... 

I know for me, personally, I quit my first Whole30 attempt. I didn't like doing that but it just wasn't the right thing for me at the time. The approach I was taking just was not right for me. And I was so unbelievably stressed trying to do the program during a time that was particularly difficult for me. It impacted my work and my relationships and I'm sure any benefit I would have gained from eating this way was outweighed by the ill-effects of stress. So I quit. And it was the right decision. 

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I certainly don't want to discourage you, but I don't think this program is supposed to be that hard. 

Whatever path you take, I wish you the very best! 

So tomorrow I am restarting. Today has been a crazy day. I have done some food/veggie prep and managed to cut my finger on my food processor, and my 1 burner on my stove caught on fire because my brother didn't clean the bacon grease on it. I then realized that my oregano that I just bought was left at the house sitting job. So, I go to the store to get more and some things for my brother. I get there and realize I left a pot of veggies steaming on the stove and left my reading glasses at home so I couldn't read the spices. I get home and fix it. Get to the store and they were then sold out of what I was going to buy. I did manage to get some steamed asparagus, broccolini, zucchini, and made some radish and jicama tabbouli. I am going to make the meatloaf tomorrow morning with some sweet potatoes. 

@Cmclean I am sorry to hear that it is that hard for you. I am not sure if you are following the feed anymore. My first whole30 I did not have any energy as well. I never did get tiger blood. For me it was an indicator of how unhealthy my body had become because of food sensitivities and eating crap. So I knew I would have to do more than one whole 30. It was rough so I completely understand. I followed the food template but I needed to eat more than just 3 meals a day. I had weakened adrenals so I had to eat 4-5 meals a day or I didn't feel well. I can not eat really large meals at times so I would eat all that I could and if I was hungry I would eat again and that helped. I also posted all of my meal on the feed and was able to get help trouble shooting. Did you start posting what you were eating here https://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/? I had other NSV that made it worth it for me. Anyway what ever you decide I wish you the best.

On 8/20/2018 at 3:39 AM, wp3 said:

So sorry things are so rough for you right now @Cmclean. I'm wondering if you just need more calories during the transition. The first time I did this diet I was ravenous and ate massive amounts of food. I thought this diet was going to cost me a fortune. Then about 3 weeks in I suddenly had no appetite and had to force myself to eat. This time I've just been using lots of fat each meal and it seems to be doing the same thing (except cheaper lol). My appetite is going down now on day 19 (which I think tells me that my body is starting to burn body fat). So I will cut back quite a bit on the fat I am eating so I can make sure I have enough of an appetite for 3 meals a day.

The way I understand it there are 3 sources of energy :carbs, fats and protein. But I think protein is really hard for the body to convert to energy. You won't get much in terms of energy from the veggies you are eating either. I assume you are maxing on the two servings of fruit/potato for your carb source of energy? I am no expert, so a moderator can jump in if I'm giving bad advice, but you might want to increase the amount of fat you are consuming daily. And if that doesn't work eat more fruit than recommended. It would be better to do that than give up completely. You can always transition to less fruit and fat later once your body is more efficiently burning body fat. Just a thought. 

@Cmclean, Don’t remember if I shared this suggestion with you before or not. It REALLY helped me to take a B50 or B100 supplement from the health food store. So sorry if I’m repeating myself. Trying to catch up on posts right now. Be blessed. You have my prayers!

Do Be Encouraged,

Dianne

On 8/17/2018 at 4:32 PM, wp3 said:

Hey @Hope4Overcomers,

I am on day 13 and feeling terrific. Great mental clarity and I feel better than I have in years. I still have a long way to go, but I am feeling very optimistic about my future.

It's my weekend and I went to see a movie and avoided getting the popcorn and slurpee I always used to get. Staying strong because I don't want to lose all this awesome progress.

Thanks for asking!

Yayyyy @wp3! Way to go! So happy for you! You go!

Dianne

14 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

So tomorrow I am restarting. Today has been a crazy day. I have done some food/veggie prep and managed to cut my finger on my food processor, and my 1 burner on my stove caught on fire because my brother didn't clean the bacon grease on it. I then realized that my oregano that I just bought was left at the house sitting job. So, I go to the store to get more and some things for my brother. I get there and realize I left a pot of veggies steaming on the stove and left my reading glasses at home so I couldn't read the spices. I get home and fix it. Get to the store and they were then sold out of what I was going to buy. I did manage to get some steamed asparagus, broccolini, zucchini, and made some radish and jicama tabbouli. I am going to make the meatloaf tomorrow morning with some sweet potatoes. 

@Cmclean I am sorry to hear that it is that hard for you. I am not sure if you are following the feed anymore. My first whole30 I did not have any energy as well. I never did get tiger blood. For me it was an indicator of how unhealthy my body had become because of food sensitivities and eating crap. So I knew I would have to do more than one whole 30. It was rough so I completely understand. I followed the food template but I needed to eat more than just 3 meals a day. I had weakened adrenals so I had to eat 4-5 meals a day or I didn't feel well. I can not eat really large meals at times so I would eat all that I could and if I was hungry I would eat again and that helped. I also posted all of my meal on the feed and was able to get help trouble shooting. Did you start posting what you were eating here https://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/? I had other NSV that made it worth it for me. Anyway what ever you decide I wish you the best.

@Elizabeth33 I am sooooo sorry to hear about your day. That’s truly tough. Thank you for sharing on here so we can support you. I sooo get days like that. Really sorry!

Prayers, 

Dianne

Hi Guys!!

im on Day 2 (again) and I’m hungry!! Not at home cause I had to take my mom (90 yrs old!) to the dentist, then me to the doctor. 

I should have time to stop by the store in between and pick up some emergency supplies. Should have been more prepared! Live and learn.

Last night I made a Whole30 compliant spaghetti sauce with meat and veggies, served over sweet potato and beet zoodles/noodles. Delish! I had left overs for breakfast but was in a rush and didn’t eat enough of it. It’s so yummy guys!

What Day is everyone on and how are you doing???

Be encouraged, as always,

Dianne

Greetings Fellow Whole30ers!

How is everyone doing?? Any Tiger Blood out there???

Im back to R2D3 and doin’ it! Had a couple of close calls due to being ill prepared and out much longer than I planned. Whew. Survived!!! :D

I desperately need to get to the store. Half an avocado, left over chicken and veggies this morning. A long day ahead though and I won’t be home much.

Off topic, could use healing prayers and thoughts today. Tore my right shoulder rotator cuff pretty badly and meet with a surgeon this afternoon. I DO NOT want surgery. However my pain level and MRI aren’t good. Oh well.

Whole30 on my friends and tell me what day you are on and how you are doing! Pretty please!

You’re all the best!

Dianne

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your rotator cuff @Hope4Overcomers. If you would stop doing all those tiger blood somersaults you wouldn't be having these problems! ;) Wishing you a speedy recovery!

I've been plugging along although I did get a nasty cold for a day. Not sure if it was detox or a real cold but it was nasty as heck for a day and then mostly gone the next day. If that was a real cold I healed from that pretty dang fast.

I also went up a notch on my belt, which is very exciting.

And I seem to be obsessed with pickles recently (no I'm not pregnant). These aren't your standard pickles. They are the equivalent of a home canned version (full sprigs of dill, big chunks of garlic and a habanero in the brine). The only thing non-whole30 about them is they aren't organic but since everything else I eat is organic I figured I could make one little exception to give myself a treat. Big mistake. Those pickles were so good I ate the entire (large) jar in one sitting. I picked up another jar today and am half-way through it. Now I am wondering why I don't just pickle my own veggies? Something to think on later. 

I am going to stop eating pickles after this jar since they are interfering with me eating my normal diet. I'm pretty sure a pile of pickles doesn't have an impressive amount of nutrition. :rolleyes:

Love, love, love, your dill pickle confession, @wp3! I’m into olives. Big garlicky, if possible, green ones. No, not in martini’s...:rolleyes:...straight out of the jar. Got what you’re saying about it interfering with nutritious Whole30 meals. I’ll drop the olive calling at the end of this jar to! LOL! 

Does indeed sound like a detox cold to heal that fast. Either way I’m thrilled your healed!

Thanks for your well wishes on my right shoulder! I surely do appreciate it!

Down a notch in the belt! Alright! Way to go!

Renain encouraged!

Dianne

@Hope4Overcomers I'm also sorry to hear about your injury! I don't know if this helps, but I tore my labrum a few years ago, had the surgey, and don't regret it at all! My shoulder has healed up nicely and I can continue to safely do all the things I love (e.g., whitewater kayaking, which is how it happened in the first place). I do hope you don't have to have surgery, but, if you do, I am a success story! 

@wp3 I also love pickles! Whenever I make lettuce burgers, I have about six of them on the side. And now I've found that my local Costco sells a Whole30-compliant variation by the tub... LOL. They're really just cucumbers so they can't be bad for you, right? Maybe just plan to eat them as part of a meal? Also, note that things don't have to be organic to be Whole30 compliant so you're good to go there! 

I'm on Day 19 now and have settled into a pretty good rhythm. I don't have Tiger Blood yet but I wasn't really expecting it because I've been struggling with my appetite and meal planning and have, as a result, skipped too many meals to realistically expect that particular benefit to come along for me! I have been regularly exercising though, and I feel strong, so that's a good victory for me! 

My toughest challenge is a two-night/three-day backpacking trip I have coming up next week. I'm getting everything together to be compliant, but mentally, I don't want to be. I know from my first Whole30 that I don't have any food sensitivities, so why can't I have a Snickers bar on the trail!? I'll be working really darn hard (it's one of our toughest trips yet with a log of mileage and elevation gain). I deserve it! But, I committed to 30 days so I'm gonna do it. Guh. 

Dear @kirbz so good to hear from you! Thanks for the success story (and am thrilled you have one) on the shoulder surgery. Very encouraging indeed! As I’m very limited now in use of my right arm and I’m right handed. Thanks again!

Okay, I just ate a compliant dill pickle with lunch. No guilt! Yayyyy!

Yes, the backpacking trip would be a challenge. I know that’s been on your heart and mind a long time. Have you tried RXBar Salted Chocolate? Oh so good, I have to watch my use of them. Totally compliant and not your average protein bar. Yummy!

Keep us posted on your progress! So glad you are rocking it and committed even if meal desire and prep is an issue.

Stay encouraged!

Dianne

Archived