Round Two of Whole30 starting August 4th. Anyone with me??

Hope4Overcomers

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sneaking in your group although I'm Post-W30 I'll only post compliant stuff in here.

Rebooting my Food Freedom habits, started 1st of August. I find Post-W30 a little harder than W30 (silly I know). I've done so many rounds over the years I don't count them anymore.

I owe all of my successful rounds to the yummy Whole30 recipes of Mel Joulwan (which are also sometimes funny), here's one of her awesome posts with loads of resources: 

http://meljoulwan.com/2017/01/02/whole30-resources-mega-post/

Looking forward to dinner tonight, roast chicken! (bulk cooking tip -> two chickens at once!)

https://nomnompaleo.com/post/26079656034/julia-childs-classic-roast-chicken

Alright @praxisproject!!!! We are beyond thrilled to have you!! Thanks so much for the links. I went to them and saved them immediately! Yayyyy! I’m thrilled. I find Post Whole30 more challenging as well! You are such a welcome part of of our mighty but smallish group! Let’s do this thing!!! We shall support you all the way! Be encouraged! Dianne

I think I'm going to join you guys as well! I've done one very successful Whole30 in the past (and several failed ones since then) so this is more about getting back to the healthiest way I know how to eat than to experiment with food allergies. I absolutely loved the results I achieved in my first round and want to have those in my life again because I've completely reverted back to very, very bad eating habits in the nearly-year since I did my Whole30. 

My primary reason for doing this is general health. I'm "only" 32 and I want to be able to do all the things I love for many, many, many years to come! I love the outdoors (backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, paddleboarding, climbing) and I can't imagine a life without those things. I want to be that 70-year old lady out on the hiking trail someday, totally killing it. So I'm here to eat the healthiest way I know.  

However, I'll be completely frank that I may not finish the entire 30 days because I am allowing myself an out if a two-night backpacking opportunity comes up. I haven't figured out how to do a Whole30 while backpacking for two nights (meaning I need at least six meals, plus lots of snacks). As of now, I have one compliant backpacking meal and I'm not eating that for three days straight. Come mid-September, I should have four more meal options so I could make it work then, but not yet. 

I look forward to doing this journey with a group! Let's do this! :-) 

And, in the spirit of sharing, I wanted to pass along my very favorite Whole30 recipe blogger (well, really, she's a paleo blogger but she has a whole section of her site dedicated to Whole30). Her recipes are AMAZING and are on regular rotation in my Whole30 meal planning. Here are some of my favorites from her: 

Also, if you're on Instagram, check out the @Whole30Recipes Instagram feed! They have guest bloggers/chefs/nutritionists/cookbook authors/regular people take over each week and post recipes. They're all Whole30 approved. 

Whoot Whoot! A big welcome @kirbz! So beyond thrilled to have you!!! I “get” your reasons, the road you’ve been on, and where you are now headed! I also totally understand the backpacking challenge. Maybe, maybe, by then some great ideas for some additional meals and snacks will be presented to you from someone with some experience or resources in that area.

To also be perfectly honest my challenges come especially in the form of my newish seriously dating relationship and ofen (so far) meals out. But he is totally supportive and more than willing to come along for the ride!

we shall indeed do this thing! And again, thrilled to have you!

Be encouraged! Dianne

5 minutes ago, kirbz said:

And, in the spirit of sharing, I wanted to pass along my very favorite Whole30 recipe blogger (well, really, she's a paleo blogger but she has a whole section of her site dedicated to Whole30). Her recipes are AMAZING and are on regular rotation in my Whole30 meal planning. Here are some of my favorites from her: 

Also, if you're on Instagram, check out the @Whole30Recipes Instagram feed! They have guest bloggers/chefs/nutritionists/cookbook authors/regular people take over each week and post recipes. They're all Whole30 approved. 

Seriously great shares @kirbz! Wow! You’ve already helped me more than you can know! Thank you!!! Dianne

@jeslight I totally get you on keeping the recipes simple. When I first tried Whole30, I signed up for a meal planning service and tried to plot out all my meals using awesome recipes but it got way too complicated and time consuming. I honestly found that I was most successful when I just cooked up very simple meals (at least during the week; I do use the fun, awesome recipes on weekends). A burger patty with mayo, lettuce, avocado, dill pickle spears and a small side salad. Or chicken cooked up in oil with a huge side of carrots, broccoli, and guacamole. Just simple stuff! 

How is your Whole30 going so far? 

These are awesome recipes guys. I just did this recipe. OMG so good even with omitting the onions and the lemon. This site is not whole 30 compliant but this recipe is. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/roasted-carrots-fennel/  I so I have done a stage 1 of my prep and doing some more tomorrow. My sugar dragon has been so loud and persuasive that I have almost decided not to do this several times. In fact I had to return some items I just bought the same day. LOL

@Elizabeth33 I would also love to be a part of a large group! It helps a lot to have others here on the forum to go through the journey with! My "start group" was a lot of fun and a huge support as I did my one, successful Whole30. My boyfriend is amazing and supportive but he doesn't do Whole30 with me. 

Groups tend to start on Mondays. It doesn't look like one started on July 30 (very possible that I missed it though). There's a handful of people that started August 1 and have a thread so we could potentially join them. I was honestly going to wait until Monday, August 6 to see if a group started then and perhaps join them... 

11 hours ago, kirbz said:

Thank you for these links - trying the potatoes tonight!

So this is day 0 for us. I haven't really said anything about myself so I will now. 

I completed my successful one into 2013. Since then I have tried to do other ones but have fallen off. Here are my reasons for doing this 

1. I am now in a critical stage of inflammation and all of my old injuries in my shoulders elbows and wrists activate it and I am in pain Health issues: high cholesterol, gastritis, enlarged liver, and Leakey gut
  2. I have eczema food and environment and pet allergies. Food sensitivities are garlic, onions, tomatoes, dairy, wheat/gluten and some citrus. So I will be excluding night shade veggies.
  3. Sleep issues falling and staying asleep. 
  4. I can definitely lose some weight as well but I am not concerned about that at this point. 

My problem is I prep all the food and then don’t eat it. I am a bona fide fast food junkie. I love going to breakfast and reading. That is my current vice and sugar. 

My NSV goals are to 

1. Get a better handle on the sugar dragon
  2. No going to fast food and reading 
  3.  Eat all meals that are home cooked (only if invited out to eat go to a restaurant.) 
  4.  Keep kitchen clean after cooking 
  5. Doing my PT every day, and whenever possible walking & stretching into my week. 

What are my Temptations

1. Breakfast at fast food and a gossip magazine.
  2. Pizza and chocolate chip cookie night on Saturday with kids club
  3. Walking by all the pastries in the back on my job Saturdays and Sundays
  4. Oops something happened to my food or not enough time to food prep 

My mantra will be “This too will pass” and “this isn’t, hard fighting _________is hard” from Mellissa and Dallas. I have been trying to restart the whole 30 on and off several years really.

If/then. I don’t have anything planned for special occasions for Aug. 

1. If I am tempted to go out for breakfast to eat and read a magazine then review my reasons why then make sure I have enough protein and fat in my meal. Read helpful excerpts from the book. This isn’t hard, cravings leave in 3-5 mins. And remember I truly am the one in charge, not my cravings, would I let my an infant eat cookies and drink Diet Coke?  T
  2. I am waking by non compliant food at work (on Sat & Sun I work at a place that has several restaurants and they have the best desserts ie salted chocolate chip cookies, French pastries, buffet etc.) Then I think of my reasons why and keep walking by. Eat down in the closed restaurant so I am not by the food. 
  3. If while working the kids movie event I get pizza, chocolate, etc on my hands then wipe it off with a napkin. I need to get into the habit of this in my life instead of licking my fingers. This has definitely been the cause for me to have to restart. Also make sure I have compliant snacks so if I am hungry I have something to eat 
  4. If I need to grab a bite to eat because I didn’t bring enough food then find a compliant place to go. Ie no hormones lettuce wrap burger at Carl’s Jr., salad bar at Ralph’s with can of tune or salad at another non-fast food restaurant, etc. side note take extra food for the day (compliant canned tuna or chicken, some extra veggies sticks, fruit, nuts, RX bar for severe emergencies only)
  5. f invited out to lunch then scope out the menu before hand for compliant foods. Let the person know what I am doing as well. 
  6. If invited for dinner then find out what’s on the menu and offer to bring something compliant. Make them aware of my allergies. If nothing compliant then bring my own meal and explain why to do that. 

3 emergency meals

1. Ground chicken, veggies cooked on hand
  2. Shredded chicken, mixed greens, avocado, and small amount of fruit or sweet potato
  3. Canned chicken or Tuna 

What are yours?

I am also going to go to the other threads and invite them to join our group :) 

I just posted a summary on the other feed. Feel free to check it out. It should be near the top of the feeds since it was recent. It's the 100 lbs in a year post. I will have to get caught up on the feed here.

2 hours ago, wp3 said:

I just posted a summary on the other feed. Feel free to check it out. It should be near the top of the feeds since it was recent. It's the 100 lbs in a year post. I will have to get caught up on the feed here.

Will do and welcome

Hi Everybody!! I’ve got a lot of posts on here to catch up on and I’m excited to do so! Welcome to everyone! I couldn’t be more thrilled we’re all together in this healthy journey. If you live in the eastern states we’ve already begun if you’re like me in Mountain Standard Time, we’re almost there. I’m so excited and I need this so badly! Some of you started on earlier dates and you’re leading the pack. Welcome again one and all. I’ll be posting more over the weekend.

Lets rock and roll!!

Be encouraged!!

Dianne

Hello everyone. I’m starting my 2nd round tomorrow, 8/4. Completed my first 30 in May. I felt great, then It all went a little sideways with four really fabulous events with travel and family and food, need I say more? 

Looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you and feeling great again. 

Just finished getting caught up on the posts. Glad nicpadua followed me here! :)

I love seeing the recipe suggestions. Definitely going to check those out. I am one of those people who needs to keep it simple in the kitchen but I also worry I might get bored with my food as this goes on. Going to keep my eye out for all those simple but tasty recipes.

Archived