Round Two of Whole30 starting August 4th. Anyone with me??

Hope4Overcomers

1 hour ago, kirbz said:

@Meg1130 @Hope4Overcomers Here is the recipe for those Spinach Artichoke Twice Baked Potatoes: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/twice-baked-potatoes-paleo-whole30-vegan/. They are my mostest favoritest potatoes ever (not just for Whole30, but in general)!! 

She also has a sweet potato variation of twice baked potatoes that I've always wanted to try but haven't yet: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/twice-baked-sweet-potatoes-paleo/

In general, Paleo Running Momma is amazing! I've never tried a recipe I haven't loved! 

Oh yum! @kirbz! So awesome sounding! I’m excited to try these! I can see clearly why they are your most favoritest potatoes ever!!! Be encouraged as you all so encourage me!! Dianne

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@kirbz I am going to have to try the sweet potato definitely. 

@TracyOKeeffe this may sound bizarre but when I couldn't do pork and there was not compliant turkey bacon I used to take thin sliced turkey or compliant deli slice and pan fry it until is was crispy but not so it was too hard. Although it couldn't replace the take I could get some crunch. 

Great day everyone

Have a big pot of beef soup bubbling away, it's a vaguely minestrone recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 celery stick
  • 1 brown onion
  • 1 swede
  • 1 parsnip
  • 3 carrots
  • 2-5 potatoes - for Aussies, the items from here up are usually in a "soup pack" at the supermarket
  • 1 kilo of beef mince - for Aussies, I like the Coles 3 star mince
  • 800g of diced tinned tomatoes
  • Tomato paste
  • 1 cups of chicken stock or water

Pop the mince in the bottom of the pot, dice the solid things and add, add everything else.

Takes about an hour to cook on the stove and my favourite part is that it's a very forgiving recipe, skip an ingredient or two, substitute, it always comes out great :)

Great for colder weather but isn't too bad in summer either.

oh - sorry to hear some of you are experiencing so many yuck side effects - means you are on the right track so keep going!

Up to day 11 - would have been up to day 22 if I hadn't had to start again <_<  Ive had a very different experience on Whole30 - been super careful to do it properly this as part of treatments from my Integrative Medicine doctor - I have lifetime of anxiety, depression - been on meds for over 15 years - 2 of my 3 (now adult) children on autism spectrum with similar issues and I suspect I'm bipolar (like my grandmother and father) - have been on journey to find solutions through non traditional therapies - and wow ! Whole 30 was like a light switch turning on for me - in fact I have to say Im a bit creeped out by how normal and clear I am feeling! Have felt fantastic from Day 1 which is crazy! Already thought I was a pretty clean eater - organics - into gut health, do my own kombucha and fermenting but the key I think is the combo of no grain, dairy, sugar or additives - and properly balanced regular meals - I reacted to this immediately.

So Ive been super good at incorporating healthy foods into my diet but the reality is I've spent years hiding hiding the fact that I consume tons of sugar and caffeine to cope as it works like 'medicine' in my body. For me the combo of sugar and caffeine is magic - I will stop eating to just consume these two foods for days as it helps me function and keeps that nice jittery feeling in my bones! Except the side effects suck - worse mental health, insomnia and being hyper. My psychiatrist said i was 'addicted to my own adrenaline!' 

So - my first real side effect from Whole 30 happened yesterday when I had a big panic attack - feels like your having a heart attack (or what I think it must feel like) - you cant breathe, its physically painful - kinda like an elephant sitting on your chest and every little noise or happening sets it off worse - its day 2 and I still feel tight in my chest - but I have been pushing through - I know what it is and Im riding the wave and feel in control - I think now the garbage is out of my system I can actually feel whats going on with my anxiety and its given me more control. I recently found out I have the MTHFR mutation - so I understand why diet is making such a difference to my mental health. 

Really encourage everyone to push through - this Whole30 thing really works if all its crazy rules are followed - this is the first thing I have tried that has actually delivered the results it promises - other than medication - which I want to stop taking if possible (one day). I have lost a bit of weight as well - and Im sure that will continue but I think the best changes are whats happening inside our bodies and Im super excited for those changes. 

Thank you for sharing your ideas and stories - they are very helpful x

40 minutes ago, Elizabeth33 said:

@kirbz I am going to have to try the sweet potato definitely. 

@TracyOKeeffe this may sound bizarre but when I couldn't do pork and there was not compliant turkey bacon I used to take thin sliced turkey or compliant deli slice and pan fry it until is was crispy but not so it was too hard. Although it couldn't replace the take I could get some crunch. 

Great day everyone

Thank you - thats a good idea !

Thought I would share a recipe I love ! I've posted a photo of a favourite dish from local cafe that can be used for Whole30 - except for the hemp and white bean hummus its topped with! I'll add the recipe for the drizzle sauce that is used - its a Cashew Cheese recipe that i make a bit thinner and use as a condiment (not a cheese substitute which is not in the spirit of Whole30) - the dish is a loaded baked sweet potato - add layers of cooked pumpkin, red cabbage coleslaw (shredded red cabbage, carrot, celery) - top with compliant mayo and serve with snow pea sprouts - sprinkle with pumpkin, sunflower and black sesame seeds or dukkah of choice - and drizzle over warm cashew cheese sauce - you wont even miss the hummus!

Cashew Cheese Recipe - lasts for a week in fridge

1 cup cashews soaked at least 10 hours up to 24 hours

2 Tbl nutritional yeast

2 Tbl lemon juice

1/4 tsp lemon juice

1/4 tsp garlic powder or a crushed clove

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 cup water or more for consistency

Process ingredients until smooth adding the water last to get required consistency. 

This is good cold or warm!

Also in regards to MAYO - I cannot tolerate the taste of olive oil or avocado oil in homemade mayo - too bitter!

When I use the recipe in Whole30 I substitute for macadamia oil - add onion and garlic powder to taste and more lemon than its suggests and its yum! Herbs like parsley make it better as well!

IMG_4749.jpg

9 hours ago, TracyOKeeffe said:

oh - sorry to hear some of you are experiencing so many yuck side effects - means you are on the right track so keep going!

Up to day 11 - would have been up to day 22 if I hadn't had to start again <_<  Ive had a very different experience on Whole30 - been super careful to do it properly this as part of treatments from my Integrative Medicine doctor - I have lifetime of anxiety, depression - been on meds for over 15 years - 2 of my 3 (now adult) children on autism spectrum with similar issues and I suspect I'm bipolar (like my grandmother and father) - have been on journey to find solutions through non traditional therapies - and wow ! Whole 30 was like a light switch turning on for me - in fact I have to say Im a bit creeped out by how normal and clear I am feeling! Have felt fantastic from Day 1 which is crazy! Already thought I was a pretty clean eater - organics - into gut health, do my own kombucha and fermenting but the key I think is the combo of no grain, dairy, sugar or additives - and properly balanced regular meals - I reacted to this immediately.

So Ive been super good at incorporating healthy foods into my diet but the reality is I've spent years hiding hiding the fact that I consume tons of sugar and caffeine to cope as it works like 'medicine' in my body. For me the combo of sugar and caffeine is magic - I will stop eating to just consume these two foods for days as it helps me function and keeps that nice jittery feeling in my bones! Except the side effects suck - worse mental health, insomnia and being hyper. My psychiatrist said i was 'addicted to my own adrenaline!' 

So - my first real side effect from Whole 30 happened yesterday when I had a big panic attack - feels like your having a heart attack (or what I think it must feel like) - you cant breathe, its physically painful - kinda like an elephant sitting on your chest and every little noise or happening sets it off worse - its day 2 and I still feel tight in my chest - but I have been pushing through - I know what it is and Im riding the wave and feel in control - I think now the garbage is out of my system I can actually feel whats going on with my anxiety and its given me more control. I recently found out I have the MTHFR mutation - so I understand why diet is making such a difference to my mental health. 

Really encourage everyone to push through - this Whole30 thing really works if all its crazy rules are followed - this is the first thing I have tried that has actually delivered the results it promises - other than medication - which I want to stop taking if possible (one day). I have lost a bit of weight as well - and Im sure that will continue but I think the best changes are whats happening inside our bodies and Im super excited for those changes. 

Thank you for sharing your ideas and stories - they are very helpful x

@TracyOKeeffe, Thank you for sharing! So very real and encouraging to me. I can relate to some of your symptoms and have a pretty good understanding of the rest. Truly admire you! You have helped me get through a major headache, my latest detox symptom. :huh: Be encouraged yourself as you have sooo encouraged, and motivated me! Blessings, Dianne

I'm just getting caught up on what everyone has been sharing. It has been a brutal past day and a half.

@TracyOKeeffe Thank you for sharing all of that. It was quite powerful. You are really battling this thing and it is inspiring. 

I had a physically grueling day at work (not last night but the night before). I was excited at first because every time Iifted one of those 50 lb bags of flour my muscles felt really good, as in I wanted to keep lifting stuff over and over . It was like my body had all this extra oxygen and could breathe and I had unlimited endurance. It didn't last forever and eventually I got pretty worn out but overall was happy I kept up with work and excited by this new phase. 

Then I got home and i was SO FREAKING TIRED. I am talking barely keeping my eyes open tired. I skipped my dinner so I could fall into bed. I thought I was just low on energy because of work but then I woke up 3 hours later aching all over my body. And it wasn't the muscle ache type of aching from a hard days work. It was the same type of detox ache I dealt with before except this time it wasn't as intense but it went deeper, like I could feel the ache in my lungs, that's how deep it went. I wanted to sleep so badly but I couldn't. So I debated taking some Tylenol, and I prefer not to depend on things like that so I avoid taking that stuff unless I am totally desperate. Well, I almost did but then decided I was really hungry and got up to eat something. Then fell asleep a little later and woke up super tired again. 

None of that schedule was ideal but I just had to go with the flow. I had my ass kicked, basically. Fortunately I had an easy day at work last night and I'm feeling fine now but I'm dreading day 10 and 11 now since those are supposed to be the worst days for detox. I don't want to think how much worse this can get. 

Is it just me or does this week feel like it has lasted a century?:wacko:

@wp3, Wow. What a night you had!! I have a splitting headache:mellow: today that woke me up at 4:00 am. I’ve broken down and taken some aspirin but no relief. Definitely detox. Yes, it feels like this week has lasted a century!!! 

Ya know I don’t recall day 10 and 11 being bad last time. Maybe I’ve blocked it out <_< but I truly don’t think it was bad. I do remember being oh so tired around day 5 and buying a B50 Complex and it really, really, helped. Hmmm. Maybe I should pick some up. Ya think?? In the meanwhile I’ll truck on.

Have Hope Everybody!!!

Dianne

Hi everyone, 

Just have to vent for a minute because I know you all will understand. I went to go make breakfast this morning, potatoes and eggs. I was using the Simply brand potatoes. I finished making my food and had a thought that I better look at the potatoes bag to make sure it was compliant. FYI- Simply brand potatoes have Dextrose in them! Why do potatoes have sugar in them!? I had to throw it away and had to leave for work. Just wanted to share a small frustration from my morning that almost tempted me to just cheat, but I didn’t. On day 8 and I’m honestly just ready for it to be day 30 already! 

@Meg1130, yikes. I totally get it. So proud of you for not caving! How did you do with no breakfast and just heading to work?? The same has happened to me before but I had time to grab a few nuts, seeds, and and apple. I’m really susceptible to caving without enough food. You are truly a trooper! You actually will get to high energy eventually and not feel so frustrated.

Be encouraged my friend!

Dianne

Good evening,

I'm starting the Whole 30 on August 13th. Book to arrive tomorrow so I hope to do some reading this weekend so I'm ready to roll come Monday. I'm excited to do it, motivated but still a bit nervous. I hope after reading the book and turning for support on the forum will alleviate any nervousness. Looking forward to chatting and supporting others these next 30 days.

Rebecca

@Meg1130 I second (or maybe third or fourth) the congratulations on making a good decision this morning! If there's one thing I've learned doing Whole30, it's to assume nothing about what they are willing to put in our food! I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but I have to wonder if the sugar industry has something on every other industry because I cannot fathom why we need sugar in so many products! 

@Rebecca2 Welcome and congratulations on your decision to commit to this! I've done one successful Whole30 before and I absolutely loved the way I felt! I'm a strong believer in this program and wish you the best! 

The book should help immensely (which one did you get?), but is there anything specific that you're nervous about that we can help with? This forum is a wonderful place so feel free to reach out with questions or complaints of successes or whatever you need! 

My biggest tip for you is to become familiar with the meal template and really try to make your meals match it as much as possible! You'll achieve the best results that way! Here it is if you haven't already seen it: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

18 hours ago, praxisproject said:

Have a big pot of beef soup bubbling away, it's a vaguely minestrone recipe:

Ingredients:

• 1 celery stick
  • 1 brown onion
  • 1 swede
  • 1 parsnip
  • 3 carrots
  • 2-5 potatoes - for Aussies, the items from here up are usually in a "soup pack" at the supermarket
  • 1 kilo of beef mince - for Aussies, I like the Coles 3 star mince
  • 800g of diced tinned tomatoes
  • Tomato paste
  • 1 cups of chicken stock or water

Pop the mince in the bottom of the pot, dice the solid things and add, add everything else.

Takes about an hour to cook on the stove and my favourite part is that it's a very forgiving recipe, skip an ingredient or two, substitute, it always comes out great :)

Great for colder weather but isn't too bad in summer either.

2 hours ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

@Meg1130 good deal!!! That’s lovely! I’m so glad there was a “fix” for a frustrating situation.

I finally summoned up the concentration skills and focus to read Day 5 (where I’m at) in Whole30 Day By Day. I found it totally helpful too. Yayyy me. ^_^

You Guys Rock!!

Dianne

@Hope4OvercomersI don't have the Whole 30 Day by Day. Do you think I should get it if I am 8 days in?

38 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@Meg1130 I second (or maybe third or fourth) the congratulations on making a good decision this morning! If there's one thing I've learned doing Whole30, it's to assume nothing about what they are willing to put in our food! I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but I have to wonder if the sugar industry has something on every other industry because I cannot fathom why we need sugar in so many products! 

@kirbz I agree with that. I don't understand why everything has to have sugar in it. They are making people hooked on sugar without even knowing it since most people don't read labels. In all honest I didn't read many labels either until I started Whole 30, now I can't imagine not.

Archived