Round Two of Whole30 starting August 4th. Anyone with me??

Hope4Overcomers

@Meg1130 I didn't read labels either. I had no idea we put so much garbage in our food. I mean really, it's no wonder we have so many diabetic individuals in this country!

In general, my concept of health and nutrition was just so very, very wrong. I'm so grateful to this program for helping me understand what healthy looks like in a way that works for my body! I love that it is set up to be a personal experiment and does not draw a definitive line between bad and good for all people. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Meg1130 I have the Whole30 Day by Day but honestly don't use it. My moods, feelings, and general experiences don't at all align with the timeline so perhaps that's why I don't bother much with it. 

It tells you what to expect, gives you some tips, a challenge for the day, and then has some sections for you to fill out for what you ate, how you're feeling, what your NSVs are for the day, etc. I think it's generally good for preparation and reflection, particularly if you tend to relate to the timeline. 

Just my two cents. I don't want to discourage you, but I honestly think It Starts with Food is the best of all the books! It explains the why behind all the rules, which is so, so, so helpful for someone like me. Things have to make sense for me to really stand behind them. I found that all in ISWF. 

@kirbz Since you have done this before maybe you have some advice for after Whole 30. I honestly don't want to live a super restricted life after this, but I also want to use what I have learned. How did it go after your first 30 days? If anyone else wants to chime in that has done Whole 30 before please do! The more stories and advice the better!

@Meg1130 Oh goodness, I hope you aren't expecting an inspiring story here... Afterall, there's a reason I'm back for another round. But I'll be honest! And maybe someone can learn something from my experience. 

I did my one successful Whole30 last September/October. I did 43 days and I loved how I felt. I did the slow-roll introductions and I opted to try for a Paleo lifestyle after those 43 days. I believed that could be sustainable for me long term. I wanted to be able to eat all the things I love (i.e., ice cream, and desserts, and breads) but I wanted a healthier variation of them. I had hoped that my taste buds would sufficiently change that I would truly and genuinely appreciate them. But I also wanted to be able to avoid overeating them (I am a person who can eat an entire 1.5 quart tub of ice cream in one sitting, and would do it more than once a week).

Though, even with Paleo, I kind of planned for a 90/10 kind of lifestyle. Foods don't generally bother me unless it's a long-term cumulative effect (I don't have immediate good or bad reactions to any food). So if I wanted to have a regular pizza with friends every now and again, I wasn't planning to restrict that. 

I did well with that for a few months. And I did love the Paleo breads and desserts and I was able to avoid over-eating them. But, after a while, the inconvenience of it all got to me and I slowly started to eat garbage again. For me, that's always the trigger. It takes so darn long to cook all these meals and clean up after them. It's so darn easy to just stop for a fast-food burger on the way home. And so I would occasionally do that. And then occasionally became more frequent and then more frequent became the norm. Eventually I found myself back to eating chips and kid's cold cereal and fast food and entire tubs of ice cream. 

That's where I'm at today. But I'm back because I believe that this program can change me. And I still believe that Paleo is my long-term inspiration. So I'm really focusing this round on making things easy. And I'm trying to do more with the "emergency meal" concept (which I never did before) so that I have options on days when I work late and/or just feel too lazy to cook. 

Anyway, I know that wasn't very inspiring but I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions! 

My biggest recommendation is to have a plan. As dumb as it sounds, I didn't have an aspiration for life after Whole30 until really late in my program. So start thinking about what your ideal food freedom looks like. At least having an idea of what you want and what appeals to you as a sustainable option is a good start! 

I also have the book Food Freedom Forever and really need to get around to actually reading it. Once I do, I'll certainly share any inspiration I glean from that! 

50 minutes ago, Hope4Overcomers said:

@Rebecca2 Welcome aboard and congrats! We’re so stoked to have you join us!! We’re just shortly into this journey so you’re in the right place! Plus there are some experienced folks in this thread. Again, welcome and great decision!

Be encouraged!!

Dianne:D

Thank you! I'm excited to begin this new food journey. I definitely need something to get me motivated food wise. Looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, kirbz said:

@Meg1130 Oh goodness, I hope you aren't expecting an inspiring story here... Afterall, there's a reason I'm back for another round. But I'll be honest! And maybe someone can learn something from my experience. 

I did my one successful Whole30 last September/October. I did 43 days and I loved how I felt. I did the slow-roll introductions and I opted to try for a Paleo lifestyle after those 43 days. I believed that could be sustainable for me long term. I wanted to be able to eat all the things I love (i.e., ice cream, and desserts, and breads) but I wanted a healthier variation of them. I had hoped that my taste buds would sufficiently change that I would truly and genuinely appreciate them. But I also wanted to be able to avoid overeating them (I am a person who can eat an entire 1.5 quart tub of ice cream in one sitting, and would do it more than once a week).

Though, even with Paleo, I kind of planned for a 90/10 kind of lifestyle. Foods don't generally bother me unless it's a long-term cumulative effect (I don't have immediate good or bad reactions to any food). So if I wanted to have a regular pizza with friends every now and again, I wasn't planning to restrict that. 

I did well with that for a few months. And I did love the Paleo breads and desserts and I was able to avoid over-eating them. But, after a while, the inconvenience of it all got to me and I slowly started to eat garbage again. For me, that's always the trigger. It takes so darn long to cook all these meals and clean up after them. It's so darn easy to just stop for a fast-food burger on the way home. And so I would occasionally do that. And then occasionally became more frequent and then more frequent became the norm. Eventually I found myself back to eating chips and kid's cold cereal and fast food and entire tubs of ice cream. 

That's where I'm at today. But I'm back because I believe that this program can change me. And I still believe that Paleo is my long-term inspiration. So I'm really focusing this round on making things easy. And I'm trying to do more with the "emergency meal" concept (which I never did before) so that I have options on days when I work late and/or just feel too lazy to cook. 

Anyway, I know that wasn't very inspiring but I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions! 

@kirbz thanks for your comments - I'm also worried about how I'll manage after I finish - I spent a couple of weeks planning and prep before I attempted Whole30 and did everything I could to make sure I would succeed - literally removed all food from pantry and fridge and replaced with compliant only - but biggest issue is keeping up with the meal prep - there are 3 of us doing Whole30 - my husband, myself and 24 year old daughter - which is great - but the amount of time it takes to prepare packed lunches the night before plus the meals for the next day - and trying to keep it all interesting and different - especially when you have to prepare everything from scratch - has been the hardest part for me - its taken hours - so I hear you ! How long can you sustain this and have a life without giving in to convenience. Anyway - we are also looking at Paleo or Keto following Whole30 but Im not one for being pigeon holed into a particular program - I'm more concerned with eliminating my problem foods but no matter what I do - meal prep and cost of eating organic are my biggest issues. I love the idea of doing emergency meals - I try to have a lot of things always available - hard boiled eggs, mayo, dressings, large salads, kale and spinach ready to saute and lots of meatballs and patties - tins of fish in springwater and of course nuts and fruit. Any other good ideas ? 

Pants were a tiny bit looser today. Woot! And had some fantastic mental clarity. I have been training for a new position at work and I'm definitely noticing the difference mentally just in how interested I am in what I am learning and in how quickly I am picking things up. Also have been more present and aware of my coworkers and I'm joking more with them. I am definitely in a better mood.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys regulate how much fat is in your diet? The reason I am asking is because I put Ranch dressing on everything (salad, steamed potatoes and sometimes chicken). Is that a big deal?

16 hours ago, kirbz said:

@Rebecca2 Welcome and congratulations on your decision to commit to this! I've done one successful Whole30 before and I absolutely loved the way I felt! I'm a strong believer in this program and wish you the best! 

The book should help immensely (which one did you get?), but is there anything specific that you're nervous about that we can help with? This forum is a wonderful place so feel free to reach out with questions or complaints of successes or whatever you need! 

My biggest tip for you is to become familiar with the meal template and really try to make your meals match it as much as possible! You'll achieve the best results that way! Here it is if you haven't already seen it: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thank you for the cheer leading and the tips. I appreciate it a lot. I think what I'm nervous about is getting everything prepped and making time for it. I'm a mom to a very energetic six year old and a 20 year veteran teacher about to start the school year. So...lots of things on my plate but health is a priority to me and I feel this is a good thing to try in order to reset myself. Thank you again for your help.

@wp3 According to the meal template, you should be eating one to two portions of fat (not counting the fat you cook with) with each meal. So that could be oils, butters, coconut, coconut milk, olives, nuts, seeds, and avocado. You can check out the  meal template for a description of what constitutes a serving for each of those. Note though, that nuts are recommended to be eaten only every couple of days. 

Personally, I try really, really hard to meet this recommendation. Fat is so very integral to this program and will be key in becoming fat adapted and gaining energy! My go-to favorites are avocado, guacamole, coconut butter (which I buy as a snack pack from Artisana Organics), olives, mayo, and olive-oil based dressings (my favorites are Primal Kitchen Ranch and Caesar). 

So, you're definitely perfectly fine to have ranch all the time, and could even pair that with another fat at some of your meals! The key is eating an amount that keeps you full for four to five hours, so play around with your portions but definitely always have at least one plated fat with every single meal! 

I hope this helps! 

@kirbzI'm definitely not concerned about having too little, but concerned that I am way overdoing it in qty. I am sure from a calorie factor that will probably influence how much weight I lose each week, but I am more concerned about this leading to increased risk for heart attack. But I think I read somewhere (probably the whole30 book) that healthy fats don't clog arteries? I also know I'm not supposed to consume so much fat that I lose my appetite and can't eat all 3 meals. That hasn't happened yet. Mayo and salad dressings make this way of eating more appealing to me but I'm wondering if i need to show a bit more restraint. Oh well, I'm probably just going to keep eating the way I'm eating and once eating all these veggies feels more normal I can cut back a little bit.

@wp3 Whole30 has an entirely different perspective on health and nutrition than you have likely heard about your whole life. I can't answer your questions about fat and heart health, because I no longer remember. I do recall that becoming fat adapted, by eating fat, should aid in your quest to lose weight (it's totally counter-intuitive but you need to eat fat to lose it). 

I strongly recommend reading It Starts with Food. It explains the science and rationale behind the program, explaining why it's structured the way it is and why the rules are the rules. It's so, so helpful to really understanding what this program is about and why it's good for you. And it's actually a fairly easy read, despite all the science. 

I have every single Whole30 book every published and this is far and away my favorite! I cannot tell you how much it strengthened my commitment to this program and I cannot recommend it enough if you have those sorts of questions. Or, if you're just someone who wants to understand the why behind what we're being asked to do. 

@Rebecca2 I recommend keeping your meals simple. When I first tried Whole30, I signed up for RealPlans and came up with an awesome, amazing set of recipes for each week. It didn't work. At all. I don't have the time or mental energy to be trying new recipes all the time. So I keep it simple. Chicken pan-cooked with avocado oil and some store-purchased BBQ sauce with a huge portion of steamed carrots and some store-purchased guacamole. So simple, but still delicious for me! I save trying new recipes for the weekends. 

Also, if you can afford it, there are a LOT of Whole30-compliant products available in the U.S. Being able to buy (rather than cook) your sauces, condiments, and dressings really makes life easier and much more tasty. If you'd like me to share some of my favorites, let me know and I'd be happy to do so. Be warned though, they are expensive (like $8.99 for a 12 oz jar of BBQ sauce). I'm grateful that I'm privileged enough to be able to buy these things because I know that not everyone is. 

I read the section of "It starts with food" on fats. If I understand the explanation correctly it says that a saturated fat called palmitic acid was found in high amounts in people with heart disease. So the researchers jumped to the conclusion that meat and eggs (two foods with the highest amount of saturated fat) were to be avoided. Apparently those foods have other fats which neutralize the dangers of palmitic acid. But excess carbohydrate is converted into palmitic acid by the liver without any of those neutralizing fats present. So it is carbohydrate which is the big issue for heart disease. If I totally mucked up my understanding of that, someone feel free to jump in and correct me. 

I didn't see anything immediately which mentioned whether there needed to be an upper limit on fat, but I'll keep searching the book.

I also wound up on a site which reminded me that the Eskimos had 50% of their calories come from fat and had remarkably low incidences of heart disease. I had forgotten about that interesting piece of trivia.

I think I'm good for now.

My new dehydrator arrived today! To say I am excited is an understatement! I'm so happy I can start creating healthy, freeze dried meals and dog treats that don't cost a small fortune! YAY! 

My biggest hurdle is going to be a two-night backpacking trip coming up on August 28. My traditional backpacking snacks and meals are not Whole30 compliant and so far I have not been excited about what I'll be taking on the trail with me. In fact, I had given myself an out and said I just wouldn't finish my Whole30 and wouldn't bother to be compliant. But, I want to do this and I want to learn how to take healthy foods on the trail. So, with some research and effort, hopefully I learn a lot and find some good recipes so that that my attitude changes! 

Does anyone else in the group hike or backpack? I'm really excited about this new website (she is not Whole30 affiliated in any way and most of her recipes are not compliant but there are some gems in there): https://www.musthikemusteat.com/recipe/

@wp3 I'm not even a huge watermelon person but I thought so too! How delicious and refreshing would that be out on the trail!? :-) 

And you should definitely get into hiking! It's such a wonderful activity. Mountains and rivers are my favorite places in the whole world. 

Yes I'm actually really optimistic now for my future as an athletic person. Even though my first week was rough I saw enough exciting changes to actually believe I can be a really fit person in the future. Sure I can lift heavy bags at work, but I can't bend my legs without twinges. So I am excited to see where this journey leads me. I know I'll find some beautiful trails someday. I also have a dream to get into nature photography as a hobby. I think that would be a blast. Equipment would likely be ridiculously expensive so this will remain a long term goal.

That's wonderful news! 

As for photography, they say the best camera is the one you can afford. I've seen some pretty incredible photographers produce some pretty incredible photos from an iPhone. So don't let cost be a deterrent to you! Buy what you can afford, learn and go from there! Life is short! 

19 hours ago, kirbz said:

@Rebecca2 I recommend keeping your meals simple. When I first tried Whole30, I signed up for RealPlans and came up with an awesome, amazing set of recipes for each week. It didn't work. At all. I don't have the time or mental energy to be trying new recipes all the time. So I keep it simple. Chicken pan-cooked with avocado oil and some store-purchased BBQ sauce with a huge portion of steamed carrots and some store-purchased guacamole. So simple, but still delicious for me! I save trying new recipes for the weekends. 

Also, if you can afford it, there are a LOT of Whole30-compliant products available in the U.S. Being able to buy (rather than cook) your sauces, condiments, and dressings really makes life easier and much more tasty. If you'd like me to share some of my favorites, let me know and I'd be happy to do so. Be warned though, they are expensive (like $8.99 for a 12 oz jar of BBQ sauce). I'm grateful that I'm privileged enough to be able to buy these things because I know that not everyone is. 

Fantastic advice! Thank you so much. That is a big help! I really appreciate it. I'm going to write out a meal plan for the first week, keep it simple per your suggestion and hope that will lead to a successful week one. Have a super weekend!  That would be great to know some of your fave whole 30 products to purchase. Thanks, Rebecca

Archived