Round Two of Whole30 starting August 4th. Anyone with me??

Hope4Overcomers

The Primal Kitchen mayos from Whole Foods are fantastic. The chipotle lime version is great on its own as a dipping sauce for just about anything, and they're both great in tuna, salmon and chicken salad. You'll choke at the price ($12 I think), but it's well worth it for the flavor and convenience. I haven't had good luck making my own mayo. If you have Valentina hot sauce where you live, that's also compliant and good on eggs, potatoes, etc.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rebecca2 said:

Fantastic advice! Thank you so much. That is a big help! I really appreciate it. I'm going to write out a meal plan for the first week, keep it simple per your suggestion and hope that will lead to a successful week one. Have a super weekend!  That would be great to know some of your fave whole 30 products to purchase. Thanks, Rebecca

Another suggestion for something simple is boil a bunch of chicken and then shed it. Then you can have chicken ready and you can mix it with franks red hot buffalo or the curry chicken salad from the fast & easy book and put it in a lettuce wrap or on a salad. This trick has really helped me stay on track personally. 

40 minutes ago, stonehouse said:

The Primal Kitchen mayos from Whole Foods are fantastic. The chipotle lime version is great on its own as a dipping sauce for just about anything, and they're both great in tuna, salmon and chicken salad. You'll choke at the price ($12 I think), but it's well worth it for the flavor and convenience. I haven't had good luck making my own mayo. If you have Valentina hot sauce where you live, that's also compliant and good on eggs, potatoes, etc.

@stonehouse I totally agree they are delicious! Have you had the ketchup? I finally found it the other day and it is so much like regular ketchup. Primal kitchen helps me not feel like I’m missing out on all the regular sauces because they are actually good! 

@Rebecca2 Okay, I'll provide you with two lists. :-) First, if you're a Costco person, I've found Costco to be an absolutely goldmine when it comes to compliant Whole30 products. I live in California so things are expensive. Being able to by compliant products at Costco saves me a TON of money. 

Costco Shopping List:

• Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork (just boil the package for 12-15 minutes and it's ready to go)
  • Aidells Chicken and Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage
  • Parma Prosciutto di Parma
  • Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut 
  • True Story Organic Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Snack Packs (can you say post-workout meal anyone?)
  • True Story Organic Chicken Breast (they're chunks of chicken breasts that are great pre- or post-workout, or I've even created a meal with them when in a rush)
  • Organic Cauliflower Rice (just add some ghee, sautee it up, and you're good to go) 
  • Grillo's Pickles Dill Spears 
  • Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning 
  • Wholly Guacamole Organic Minis (mini guacamole cups that are perfect for a meal or on the go) 

And here are some more of my favorite Whole30 products: 

• Tessemae's BBQ sauce 
  • Tessemae's Ketchup  
  • Tessemae's Buffalo Sauce (both hot and regular) 
  • Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo 
  • Primal Kitchen Ceasar Dressing 
  • Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing
  • Primal Kitchen Green Goddess Dressing
  • The New Primal Classic Marinade (wonderful for stir fry) 
  • The New Primal Citrus & Herb Marinade
  • The New Primal Class BBQ Sauce
  • The New Primal Mustard BBQ Sauce 
  • Thrive Market Organic Tuscan Pepper Pasta Sauce 

I buy much of this stuff online on Thrive Market (except they don't sell Tessemae's). Note that I strongly prefer Primal Kitchen dressings over Tessemae's dressings because the use avocado or olive oil rather than sunflower oil (which is recommended to be limited). 

If you're interested in more products, check out the @Whole30Approved Instagram feed. They exclusively feature Whole30-compliant products you can buy in stores...

The universe is testing how serious I am about this diet today. We are on well water and due to extended dry days and an impractical neighbor who likes to water all the plants on the property even though they can survive without, we are now totally without water. 

After a bit of frustration I finally came up with a plan of action. Instead of cooking my hamburger in a pan (which would have had to have been cleaned) I actually baked it on foil and then tossed the foil. I had an extra serving which I stored in a plastic sandwich bag. I flipped the bag inside out to pick it up so I wouldn't have to wash my hands after. I ate an avocado for my fat and figure I'll run into town in a bit to get a large 5 gallon container of water so I'll have water to rinse knives. I'll also pick up some plastic forks so I can just dispose of those. I have a steamer I love to use because it has an automatic timer and it makes it so easy to prep foods, but since that uses water and also needs to be cleaned after use I opted to bake my broccoli today on a foil lined pan. I used a basting brush to avoid getting oil on my hands and even trimmed the broccoli over the pan instead of on a cutting board so I wouldn't have to clean the board. I was just careful not to cut the foil. I figured I was ok not rinsing the broccoli since it was going to be cooked in an oven anyway.

I'm going to swing by Walmart because I think they have prepackaged paleo meals  Not sure how compliant they are with whole30. 

If I get paper bowls and eat a lot of prewashed salads (spinach,baby kale, tomatoes, etc) and roast all my other veggies and meats I can get by for now. 

My work provided me with a free membership to a gym (which I haven't used yet) but now I'm going to just to use the shower. Might as well use some of the equipment while I am there, but don't want to overdo things in these early days either.

ugh.

@wp3 It is indeed! I just eat chunks cold straight out of the package. Super tender and delicious! 

I'm so sorry to hear your about the challenges your facing at home! How awful to not have any water. However, your determination to stick with this is admirable! I wish you the very best of luck!! 

45 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@Rebecca2 Okay, I'll provide you with two lists. :-) First, if you're a Costco person, I've found Costco to be an absolutely goldmine when it comes to compliant Whole30 products. I live in California so things are expensive. Being able to by compliant products at Costco saves me a TON of money. 

Costco Shopping List:

• Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork (just boil the package for 12-15 minutes and it's ready to go)
  • Aidells Chicken and Apple Smoked Chicken Sausage
  • Parma Prosciutto di Parma
  • Farmhouse Culture Classic Caraway Kraut 
  • True Story Organic Oven Roasted Turkey Breast Snack Packs (can you say post-workout meal anyone?)
  • True Story Organic Chicken Breast (they're chunks of chicken breasts that are great pre- or post-workout, or I've even created a meal with them when in a rush)
  • Organic Cauliflower Rice (just add some ghee, sautee it up, and you're good to go) 
  • Grillo's Pickles Dill Spears 
  • Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning 
  • Wholly Guacamole Organic Minis (mini guacamole cups that are perfect for a meal or on the go) 

So awesome! Thank you very much. All of this is terrific information and makes things less scary going in.  When you are making your dinners, do you just add vegetables with your proteins? I am kind of lazy when it comes to cooking but do love grilling vegetables etc. Thanks!

All these recommendations are great. Makes me so jealous. I unfortunately have to make most things from scratch because of my sensitivity to garlic, onions, and nightshades. I so miss chili and tomato sauce. I can get a great whole chicken from Whole Foods and found a compliant canned chicken and sliced turkey which is great. I need to make some mayo. I wish I liked the primal paleo better. Found a great recipe for an Italian dressing so I made that. 

Hi All! 

I am still here! Day 8. Yayyy! It’s been a tough round for me so far. My boyfriend’s Dad passed away unexpectedly so there has been a lot going on. Of course some of it involves food. Very, very, challenging. Not perfect Whole30 by my ideal but compliant. Yayyy again.

I have lots of catching up to do with the forum but in the meanwhile thought I’d just go ahead and jump back in.

You Guys Definitely Rock!!!

Be encouraged!

Dianne

Map All these recommendations are great. Makes me so jealous. I unfortunately have to make most things from scratch because of my sensitivity to garlic, onions, and nightshades. I so miss chili and tomato sauce. I can get a great whole chicken from Whole Foods and found a compliant canned chicken and sliced turkey which is great. I need to make some mayo. I wish I liked the primal paleo better. Found a great recipe for an Italian dressing so I made that. 

The great news is it wasn't the water level that was the problem. The pump broke. So nice to take showers and cook meals like a normal person again. 

My saliva is starting to taste really sweet and my face looks like it is getting more narrow. Pants are fitting a little bit better. 

My grocery store started carrying Tessamae's Habanero Ranch dressing. Anyone try that one? Is it really hot?

So, I have completely blown it. I am going to start over again tomorrow. I kept finding excuses but they are just justifications. I have not been very happy the last few days and been very negative and it is because I am not doing what I know I should be doing. I am house sitting this week at a friend so prep is a little weird. Part of me wants to keep it simple but then the other part says I have central air-conditioning and a real functioning stove, take advantage of it. So, I am looking for recipes that I can freeze. I can’t eat any garlic, onions, or night shades so any recommendations let me know. I will need to go home (1hr to 30 mins depending on traffic) to get some of the cooking things I need since the place I am staying doesn’t have it. I am thinking maybe some pesto sauce, Tandoori and Moroccan chicken, and make more of my turkey sage walnut meatloaf. I am looking for another meatloaf recipe and any others that I can portion out and freeze. I have the books so I am going to go through that. I have not found any veggies can be frozen and since no tomato sauce unless it is in a soup the veggies get to mushy for me.

@Elizabeth33 Hey, while I can tell you are disappointed with how things are going you should also realize that you are doing more to try and change your health than most people ever would do. Most people would never even try to start a diet this strict. They would just laugh if someone suggested it. They would certainly never commit to be on a forum like this. 

I read somewhere that giving up sugar is harder than quitting cocaine, and I believe it. The important thing is that you know what you have to do and that you keep getting back up after falling. I have confidence you'll get back in there and kick some A. 

7 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

So, I have completely blown it. I am going to start over again tomorrow. I kept finding excuses but they are just justifications. I have not been very happy the last few days and been very negative and it is because I am not doing what I know I should be doing. I am house sitting this week at a friend so prep is a little weird. Part of me wants to keep it simple but then the other part says I have central air-conditioning and a real functioning stove, take advantage of it. So, I am looking for recipes that I can freeze. I can’t eat any garlic, onions, or night shades so any recommendations let me know. I will need to go home (1hr to 30 mins depending on traffic) to get some of the cooking things I need since the place I am staying doesn’t have it. I am thinking maybe some pesto sauce, Tandoori and Moroccan chicken, and make more of my turkey sage walnut meatloaf. I am looking for another meatloaf recipe and any others that I can portion out and freeze. I have the books so I am going to go through that. I have not found any veggies can be frozen and since no tomato sauce unless it is in a soup the veggies get to mushy for me.

You're not alone @Elizabeth33  I am starting over today too.  Stress got the better of me and i slid right back to old patterns.  But I do know that the definition of failure is not trying so I am trying again  And I am also remind myself if not now then when?  You can do it.  I have no doubt.  Welcome to day one!!

10 hours ago, Elizabeth33 said:

Hi @Elizabeth33! I have great admiration for you. Really. While you may be disappointed in yourself I see your tremendous attitude, determination, and gratitude in making this work. You are a very creative and hard working person. You are to be commended. Hang in there. You’ve truly got this! 

Did you ever find a good meatloaf recipe? I would love to have it if you want to share.

Hang tough girl. You’ve got this, setbacks and all!!

Dianne

On 8/12/2018 at 4:22 AM, Hope4Overcomers said:

Thank you, @wp3 and @Elizabeth33! You two are so thoughtful and sweet. It is tough but all of you are sooo helpful in keeping me motivated, committed, and strong. Ya’ll are the best! This mighty group of Whole33 Warriors is the absolute best! You keep me more than trying!

Be Blessed!

Dianne

Whole30 Warriors not Whole33!! :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, hmg1993 said:

You're not alone @Elizabeth33  I am starting over today too.  Stress got the better of me and i slid right back to old patterns.  But I do know that the definition of failure is not trying so I am trying again  And I am also remind myself if not now then when?  You can do it.  I have no doubt.  Welcome to day one!!

@hmg1993 I’m right with you guys! Stating over. Day 1 here we are! A fresh start. So glad we get that with Whole30. Don’t just have to stand in the corner with our tail between our legs. This death in the family and the off eating pattern it creates has really been a challenge. I covet all of your support as tomorrow is the funeral and food will be a strong presence in it. Plus I’m not home to cook and people have gone to great effort to cook for us all. It may turn out a more realistic start date for me is Wednesday, the 15th. I’m going to give it my best shot in the meanwhile though.

Welcome to a new beginning for those of us who find themselves at this point. Late but still great!! 

@Lisaarace

@Elizabeth33

Be encouraged, even now!!

Dianne

16 hours ago, wp3 said:

The great news is it wasn't the water level that was the problem. The pump broke. So nice to take showers and cook meals like a normal person again. 

My saliva is starting to taste really sweet and my face looks like it is getting more narrow. Pants are fitting a little bit better. 

My grocery store started carrying Tessamae's Habanero Ranch dressing. Anyone try that one? Is it really hot?

@wp3, You are doing so awesome! Thrilled to hear about it! You go!!!

Dianne

On 8/8/2018 at 5:34 PM, kirbz said:

@Meg1130 Oh goodness, I hope you aren't expecting an inspiring story here... Afterall, there's a reason I'm back for another round. But I'll be honest! And maybe someone can learn something from my experience. 

I did my one successful Whole30 last September/October. I did 43 days and I loved how I felt. I did the slow-roll introductions and I opted to try for a Paleo lifestyle after those 43 days. I believed that could be sustainable for me long term. I wanted to be able to eat all the things I love (i.e., ice cream, and desserts, and breads) but I wanted a healthier variation of them. I had hoped that my taste buds would sufficiently change that I would truly and genuinely appreciate them. But I also wanted to be able to avoid overeating them (I am a person who can eat an entire 1.5 quart tub of ice cream in one sitting, and would do it more than once a week).

Though, even with Paleo, I kind of planned for a 90/10 kind of lifestyle. Foods don't generally bother me unless it's a long-term cumulative effect (I don't have immediate good or bad reactions to any food). So if I wanted to have a regular pizza with friends every now and again, I wasn't planning to restrict that. 

I did well with that for a few months. And I did love the Paleo breads and desserts and I was able to avoid over-eating them. But, after a while, the inconvenience of it all got to me and I slowly started to eat garbage again. For me, that's always the trigger. It takes so darn long to cook all these meals and clean up after them. It's so darn easy to just stop for a fast-food burger on the way home. And so I would occasionally do that. And then occasionally became more frequent and then more frequent became the norm. Eventually I found myself back to eating chips and kid's cold cereal and fast food and entire tubs of ice cream. 

That's where I'm at today. But I'm back because I believe that this program can change me. And I still believe that Paleo is my long-term inspiration. So I'm really focusing this round on making things easy. And I'm trying to do more with the "emergency meal" concept (which I never did before) so that I have options on days when I work late and/or just feel too lazy to cook. 

Anyway, I know that wasn't very inspiring but I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions! 

@kirbz, You remain inspiring to me! I’m right with ya! So glad you know this is home base and continually come back!

Your fellow Warrior!

Dianne

Archived