Searching for the answer to food addiction, obesity, depression and anxiety - planning to start July 10th.

Gabrielle1122

Hi Everyone,

I'm no stranger to the Whole30.  I completed my first Whole30 about three years ago, and was convinced that I had found the answer to my lifelong struggle with binge eating, weight, chronic fatigue and depression.  At the end of 30 days I had lost about 30 pounds, food cravings had vanished, and I found myself easily flowing through my days happily and productively.  I don't know what happened.  Maybe I needed to stay on the program for longer than 30 days, maybe I continued to feed my sugar dragon with fruit and dates and it came roaring back to the surface at my first taste of ice cream.  Either way, I slipped back into old habits rather quickly.  I've attempted to complete the Whole30 multiple times since, but I can never quite get myself to commit all the way... that sugar in the BBQ sauce isn't SUCH a big deal, I'll just have this ONE slice of toast, and before I know it, I'm completely off the program, within a matter of days.  

So here I am today.  I've just given birth to my third child.  I'm heavier than I've ever been before.  I'm depressed and racked by anxiety, guilt and shame at what I've done to my body and by my inability to get off the damn couch.  I've been trying to hard to lose weight by restricting calories, but inevitably find myself overeating - I haven't lost a pound in almost two months.  I feel hopeless, like I'm destined to be fat and depressed forever. I'm not the mother or wife that I want to be.  I've spent the last few months looking for the answer, researching various diets - whole food plant based (vegan) - ketogenic (something about this program just doesn't sit right) - Atkins, WeightWatchers... Finally, I found myself back here at Whole30 - the only plan that I've ever experienced any kind of success with.  I'm committing myself fully this time, because, as anyone who struggles with perfectionist, all or nothing tendencies like I do knows, once I've made one exception, no matter how small, there are sure to be more to follow.  

Best of luck to everyone else starting out on this journey!

Gabrielle

• Moderators

Hi, Gabrielle. I know its frustrating when you feel like you've gone backwards from where you were, especially when you felt like you'd finally figured it all out -- I've gone through this myself more often than I even want to think about. The thing is, changing habits around food and activity is hard. It's not something you figure out once and then everything just works, it's something you'll have to keep working at. Some days will be easy, some will be hard. Just hang in there and when you feel like it's getting out of control, get back to what you know works for you as soon as you can.

You might look for a copy of Food Freedom Forever, which deals with how to live your life once your Whole30 is done. There are also lots of posts on the Whole30 blog with tips about this as well.

Gabrielle, I am an 18 year old girl and I am struggling with binge eating for the first time in my life. For the past few months I’ve been bingeing on sugary foods at night, sometimes even in the mornings and afternoons, and I am feeling so weak and ashamed and scared and removed from my life. I don’t know what’s happening to me. This is horrible. I’m not fat or overweight yet, but I’ve put on 20 pounds over the past three months. This is horrible and I feel so so so gross and I’m so worried that I’ll never be able to fix myself. I’ve lost so much willpower and confidence. I don’t know what’s going on with myself. I had a legit mental breakdown a few days ago because eating so much, especially so much sugar, really takes a mental toll on me and makes me feel so foggy-headed. Have you experienced this too?

I feel at this point like I’m using food to “get high” in a way and I’m addicted. I hate this so much. I’m starting the Whole30 tomorrow to try to save myself. I really really really would love to do this thing with you because we are struggling with similar issues and I really need someone who understands me and what I’m going through. We can be each other’s accountability partners and we can encourage each other and make sure we both stay committed! I believe that we both can do whatever we set our minds too, as long as we are strong and dedicated. Let’s do this thing!!! What do you say?

• Moderators

Hi, @ild228. Please don't beat yourself up. In a lot of ways sugar does act like a drug, and it can be hard to get your sugar intake under control. Here's a couple of articles that talk a little more about that:  https://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-1/https://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-2/  

You can do this. The first few days of your Whole30 may feel impossibly hard, but you can get through it. Make sure you eat plenty of food at your meals (some people feel like it's more food than they've ever eaten, but it's okay, just go with it especially at first so you aren't dealing with hunger as well as cravings), and if you're craving sugar and just cannot stop thinking about it, rather than reaching for something sweet, have something salty or fatty -- a handful of olives, some avocado with salt and lime juice, even a dill pickle. The idea is to break the cycle of wanting sweets and having sweets. Limit your fruit to no more than a couple of small, closed fist-sized servings a day, and have them with a meal, not on their own. Fruit isn't bad per se, but it is the sweetest thing you'll be having on Whole30, so definitely try not to overdo it. And don't reach for Larabars or RXBars, which are technically compliant but are a big hit of fruit -- if you need emergency food to carry with you, look for compliant jerky, individual packs of olives or guacamole, cut up vegetables, or even leftovers. 

Hi Gabrielle,

Wow, I think I could have written your post. I'm planning my first Whole 30 to start on July 8, 2018. I totally understand the control sugar can have, the all or nothing tendencies and the exceptions that can send one into a tail spin. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. I'm sure you know the birth of a child brings it's own stresses and emotions, good and bad, so remember you are dealing with that too. It sounds like you've been successful on the program in the past. Maybe knowing you've done it before can encourage you to do it again. Be strong.

On 6/30/2018 at 12:47 PM, Gabrielle1122 said:

I've spent the last few months looking for the answer, researching various diets - whole food plant based (vegan) - ketogenic (something about this program just doesn't sit right) - Atkins, WeightWatchers... Finally, I found myself back here at Whole30 - the only plan that I've ever experienced any kind of success with.  I'm committing myself fully this time, because, as anyone who struggles with perfectionist, all or nothing tendencies like I do knows, once I've made one exception, no matter how small, there are sure to be more to follow.  

Best of luck to everyone else starting out on this journey!

Gabrielle

Hi Gabrielle (and all on this thread), I hope you don't mind my "snipping" your post.  While our details have a lot of differences, I felt a significant connection reading your post.  Why I even tried the Whole 30 (long story, but at the time I had no real interest in dietary changes) was for two reasons: One, the science was good.  I am an engineer and a critical thinker, and I could find no flaws in the Whole 30 approach.  Two, it encourages SELF EXPERIMENTATION.  I think this is the most important, and most overlooked part of the Whole 30.  Everyone's relationship with food is different.  The Whole 30 encourages you to learn what is most critical/dangerous/important to you.  My "outside observer" eye sees too many people not giving enough credence to a careful re-introduction phase.

I have completed two whole 30's, and here's what I experienced:

• I went from (high end of) pre-diabetic to completely normal blood sugar
  • lowered my blood pressure while getting off of BP medications
  • inflammation in my arthritic ankle decreased enough so I can run again
  • mild eczema  completely disappeared
  • mood and sleep both modestly improved
  • I learned to love eating vegetables, and rediscovered my joy of cooking
  • I lost 40 lbs without limiting portion sizes or increasing exercise
  • I have not gotten tired of people asking me how much weight I've lost, or noticing that my ankles are no longer dangerously swollen :D 

I was not planning on doing another Whole 30, as I just eat compliant about 99% of the time, but I would if it would inspire anyone on the fence.  Regardless, I am happy to share if my experiences motivate anyone...

Jim

On 7/4/2018 at 9:18 PM, breezyleaf said:

I'm right there with all three of you, I am starting on Monday July 9th! Let's do this together and rock it out!!! We can and will conquer the demons!

Hi @breezyleaf how are you doing? I’m so sorry that I didn’t see this until now but I hadn’t my notifications turned off. How are things going for you? Thank you for he support and for being so understanding and kind!

Archived