Starting July 1, 2018

Schwich

Day 1 went very well for me. I did have to “compromise” and have an RxBar after my workout bc I ran out of time prior to working out. I had some cravings for a snack... but some water helped... and then when dinner was slightly late I had a scoop of almond butter to hold me over. The excitement got me through day 1. Hope it continues!!!!

Happy Day 2 July 1 starters!  I'm in for July 1, too. 

I've done several Whole 30s and am here for a refresh. 

I'm a nurse working 12 hour shifts and work out at Orange Theory Fitness.  I love to cook and share recipes and have been cooking and eating Whole30 style for over 3 years (I think!?) now.   I don't have issues with rice or beans and eat those when I'm not doing a whole30.  My primary "issue" is sugar....and once I let a little in, it slowly takes over my mind and I have crazy cravings.  It's very hard to live life sugar-free, but as long as I avoid desserts and candy my sugar dragon stays at bay.

So I'm here to tame my sugar dragon.  Again.  

Let's go. :) 

Day 5 for me... day 1 to this forum for support!!! Doc recommended this program after allergy testing. Sugar is the tuffy for me too!!! Especially hard w/business (& other) dinners that feature incredible selections of wine! :) Anyone else sharing this temptation??  Let's DO THIS!!! I am IN!

Hey Snowflower! I’m a surgery resident, yay for hospital peeps! I’m here for a similar reason, although it’s less sugar and more carbs in general. They speak my love language. But they make me a worse version of myself, so another whole 30 it is. If you ever have advice or tricks you use for such long shifts let me know! I’m always looking for ideas. I’m a 5th year now so I actually only work 10-11 hours most days now, although the occsional 14 hr day still makes an appearance, but I still have 28-30 hr call regularly. Food prep has been my coping mechanism, and I also eat the exact same breakfast and lunch everyday I’m working/post call so 26 days a month. It totally helps me with decision fatigue and I found things I think are always delicious, so it works for me. 

@snowflower I love orange theory!!! I take a break during the summer so I can focus on triathlon training. 

Amen to taming the sugar dragon! :Pthat’s my TERRIBLE trigger. Plus once I become super busy I just stop cooking and rely on convenience foods (either in the freezer or the drive through). My kids and husband are super happy that I’m doing whole 30 bc I actually have food in the house and cooking!!! So far everyone has been very happy w the whole 30 recipes! Yay!!!

Hi friends! So today I went to Starbucks with a friend. I should have just stuck w a cold brew. But I love their new cold foam (without any of the added syrups). So I asked for a cold foam made w coconut milk. :blink: FULL OF SUGAR. Ugh. :angry: Thankfully I’ve stuck to my plan today regardless. It’s funny though how much 4 days can help make a change. I probably wouldn’t have liked it before either bc I like strong black coffee... But, what I a thought was a healthy alternative- wasn’t. :wacko:

I am such an EMOTIONAL eater. I just had an “episode” that would have me normally running to chocolate or even DQ. But I opted for a RxBar instead. Triumph! Now trying to make myself a yummy shrimp dinner. 

Ugh i’ve been so sick today. It started before whole 30 so it’s not that although hangover moght be making it worse? So thankful i had the day off, not looking forward to tomorrow. But maybe i’ll wake up all better!

I'm back.....and here's my plan for today.

I'm making green chicken for dinner tonight https://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486821187/my-sisters-phenomenal-grilled-green-chicken, with these roasted potatoes and aioli http://cookprimalgourmet.com/garlic-thyme-potatoes (BEST. POTATOES. EVER.) and coleslaw http://meljoulwan.com/2017/07/31/classic-paleo-coleslaw/

I've been eating this way for 3+ years now and my go to recipes are first and foremost Melissa Joulwan and her Well Fed books.  I am convinced we have the same tastebuds because I LOVE her recipes and her cookbooks. https://meljoulwan.com/

Then there's my favorite Canadian, Ronny, who does all kinds of stuff on instagram and invented the best potatoes ever and lots of other yummy things (try his Asian broccoli salad or Ropa Vieja!). http://cookprimalgourmet.com/

And finally https://nomnompaleo.com/ who created my favorite make-ahead breakfast fritattas, green chicken, magic mushroom powder, slow cooker chicken and gravy and cracklin' chicken.  Magic mushroom powder changed my life....and I always keep some prepared.

I'm also planning of making a new recipe I saw on the Whole 30 instagram Blueberry chicken salad (I'll let you know how I like it and post if good) and salmon cakes https://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/ which I always have in the freezer to pull out on busy days when I don't have time to prepare something fresh.  I ate my last one with eggs/spinach/arugula yesterday morning.

Have a great day.

23 hours ago, mdjess86 said:

Ugh i’ve been so sick today. It started before whole 30 so it’s not that although hangover moght be making it worse? So thankful i had the day off, not looking forward to tomorrow. But maybe i’ll wake up all better!

I’m so sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better today!

@snowflower thank you so much for all those links!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Today was was a good day for me. I’m surprised how well I’m doing. Tomorrow will be interesting... I’m working for my sister at her office (I’m a sp ed teacher so I’m off this month). I will pack my lunch and a RxBar for “emergency “ and have a really good breakfast!!! 

@Schwich thank you so much! I am feeling a little better for sure, but still sick. It sucks operating with a cold because it's so hard to breath under the masks lol. I'm on call tonight, which means I got here at 5am and will leave probably at 8am tomorrow. I have training on our robot at 9am tomorrow so hopefully I can make it through that. I've actually got a lot I need to accomplish this weekend, even though I'm on today and sunday I'm working 5am-5pm. I'm just so tired. Probably a combination of sickness and whole 30. But other than a couple lara bars I really shouldn't have had I've been doing well. And I've been exercising except for some of my worst sick days. Next week will be a busy week working on my fellowship application. On call next Saturday 5am-8am sunday, so if I can just make it these two weekends I'll get a break

Hang in there @mdjess86.  I would strongly suggest getting rid of the Lara bars and using any of these meat stick/meat-based items for a quick snack instead.  When I work long shifts these tide me over and don't wake up my sugar dragon.  I will often go 8-10 hours without eating when my unit is busy and these are fast and good:

Wild Zora Bar -- love these meat and veggie/fruit bars.  They are expensive, but so worth it.

Nick's Sticks -- all meat, great texture

Chomps Snack Sticks--the jalepeno ones are my favorite

Another cheap and easy snack for long shifts....hard boiled eggs!  

Hi everyone! How are you doing? Week 2- here we go!!!! I feel like I’m starting to get a hang of things  The fridg is loaded with protein and tons of veggies  I’m noticing I’m not eating as much fruit as normal. Strangely I’m not missing it  just happy to get in all these veggies! Trying my hand and cauliflower rice this week. I will be traveling w my daughter for college visits and finishing the week w a triathlon. Lots of challenges ahead. Hoping to keep it all whole 30!

Any tips for traveling?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Schwich said:

I jinxed myself. I’m wanting “out!” Day 8 is hard. We’re only 1 week down and have 3 more to go! :P

You're getting into some of the hardest days, you're far enough in that the shiny new feeling has worn off, but not far enough in to see many benefits yet. Hang in there, it does get better.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Schwich said:

family eating out and traveling. 

There's a dining guide and a travel guide you can download here:  https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/  

In general, for restaurants, the more research you can do beforehand, the easier it's going to be. If you know where you're going, check to see if you can find a menu, ingredients lists, or allergen lists online, and use those as a starting point. When you've found a few options that look promising, you can either call the restaurant during an off time and talk to them, or wait and ask once you're at the restaurant (but if all the meat is marinated and they need warning to keep some back out of a marinade, this may limit your options). You can definitely take your own salad dressing in with you if you don't think they'll have options, and some people even take ghee or oil if they're going to have a baked potato, or they'll take in coconut aminos if they go to a sushi place. And it is always okay to eat before you go and just hang out with your family for the company if you know or suspect there won't be much you can have at a place -- you can probably find some small thing you can order so you don't feel like the only one with no food in front of you, if that's something that bothers you, something like a small salad or a dish of fruit.

For travel, a lot depends on if you're flying or driving. If you're driving, it's easier because you can always pack a cooler to take with you. Rules on airplanes are going to limit some of what you can take if you fly, but you could still look for grocery stores and compliant restaurants near where you're staying. 

Happy Day 11. 

All is well here.  I had a crazy craving for sloppy joes after smelling them at work (couldn't find the source, oddly....maybe an olfactory hallucination?), so made some spicy sloppy joes with roasted sweet potatoes and a wedge salad with all the fixins.  I don't have links to these recipes, so if you want them, let me know.

I've got more cooking planned for today.  I'm gonna make cashew chicken in my instant pot https://livinglovingpaleo.com/2018/01/16/instant-pot-cashew-chicken/ and gonna marinate a whole chicken to cook on Friday: BEST. ROASTED. CHICKEN. EVER.   https://nocrumbsleft.net/2015/12/23/heroine-chicken/  It needs to sit for 2 days so requires a bit of planning.  But it is so worth it!

I made that blueberry chicken salad and....meh.  Not worth sharing the recipe.  I'll eat it.  Begrudgingly. 

I went to Costco over the weekend and got some shrimp...it still had the shell on (which I like bc it seems more flavorful that way), but was already deveined (which I loved)!  I boiled them for 3 minutes then dropped them in an ice bath and made some compliant cocktail sauce with Tessemae's ketchup and plain horseradish.  Such a treat!  

Have a great day.

Archived