Starting July 1, 2018

Schwich

I survived! 2 days of travel plus 1 night of suffering through the smell of homemade cookies (ugh - daughters :()

tonight my husband made burgers so I made homemade mayo and had him grill some sweet potato slices and onions for me. I topped my burger w a little mayo, a few sweet potatoes, an onion and wrapped with lettuce. It was FABULOUS!!!

I have a triathlon this weekend. Hoping to keep my fuel whole 30 throughout. 

Hey! Having run a few half marathons while on a whole 30 I highly recommend carrying either a lara bar or apple slices with you. I didn’t always need it, but if I felt myself fading I would have 1-2 bites and it would always carry me through. I was very worried about it beforehand but I actually had one of my best times this way! I also hydrated afterward with coconut water which I actually don’t really like but it worked great in lieu of Gatorade 

Thanks @mdjess86. I did have apple slices with me and it helped. My results on the race were as expected. But I’m a little slower right now. One do to have been training like I used to a few years back. And two, being on whole 30. But I finished and that’s all that matters!!!

hows week 3 going for everyone? I’m craving bread and/or pizza!!!! But I’m hanging tight with the rules!

8 hours ago, Schwich said:

hows week 3 going for everyone? I’m craving bread and/or pizza!!!! But I’m hanging tight with the rules!

Still going strong.  I'm not craving bread or pizza, but had a dream last night that I took a sample of strawberry shortcake from a food cart and popped it in my mouth, started chewing and then remembered that it had SHORTCAKE in it!!!  So spit it out right in front of everyone.  It was a dream....I can relax.  :wacko:

I tried a new recipe from Well Fed Weeknights: Moo Shu Stirfry with the most delicious sauce ever.  I couldn't find wood ear mushrooms, so just threw in some extra shitake and it was still amazing.  This is a great cookbook for people new to Whole30 because everything can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.  So I think that cuts down on the cooking stress.

Have a great week.  It's tiger blood time!

So I’m crying right now.... my family just came home w individual pizzas for themselves. I was fine until my husband walked into the room where I was and started chewing ice from his pop. I looked at him like, could you please quit it? He says to me, it’s just ice! WTF. ugh. I can’t believe he doesn’t have the courtesy to care enough to think about how such a stupid thing could be so upsetting to me. He’s been so supportive up to this point. 

:unsure:

• Moderators
On 7/16/2018 at 9:47 PM, Schwich said:

hows week 3 going for everyone? I’m craving bread and/or pizza!!!! But I’m hanging tight with the rules

By any chance, might you be pmsing? I ask because during the week or so before their period, many women find that they have stronger cravings, and that is fine and normal and if there's any chance that might be happening, add some extra food to your meals, and especially try to have some extra starchy vegetables. One of the other moderators here has written that she found she was eating twice as much as usual during that time.

Even if that's not what's happening, it's okay to have more food if you need it. If you are still recovering from your triathlon, you might need a little more food than normal to help with that. It's just that usually by three weeks into a whole30, cravings are usually getting easier to deal with/less noticeable. 

@ShannonM816 honestly, now at week 3 I’ve noticed that my appetite has decreased. But bc my family isn’t doing this with me they are still eating bread, pizza and all the stuff I’ve chosen not to have. For me, visual stimuli is killer. My lettuce wrap tacos and lettuce wrap burgers are sooooo yummy. So I’m very happy eating them. But there’s food commercials EVERYWHERE you go!!! In addition my favorite coffee place is totally out bc they have added sugar in their almond and coconut milk. It’s all these little things stacked up upon one another that is building up inside of me... On top of that my stupid husband says, “after doing that triathlon you deserve to eat anything you want.” Well that’s the EXACT mentality that I’m trying to get rid of. That’s been my downfall all my life. Well I deserve this after enduring that.... ugh. Sorry. Spilling my guts here....

regarding your question I don’t know re PMS bc I had an ablation a few years back and do not get periods anymore!!! Yay me :D

Last week!!! How’s it going??? @snowflower @mdjess86 @Dehh @HealthyAsana????

im ready for reintro 

went out for date night w hubby. Pretty sure the restaurant didn’t listen to my requests as I now have a headache. I stopped eating the veggie since I could tell by taste there was something sweet inside. But plain fish and plain potato tasted fine... hmmmm

All good here @Schwich.  I'm in tiger blood mode and have been feeling strong.  I'm nervous about reintros....I don't think I've ever had a "perfect" reintro and would really like to slow things down much slower than the recommended timeframe.  I want to separate out soy from peanut butter from other legumes (black and kidney beans).  And want to do cheese separate from milk/cream.  So that's my plan for now.  I'm not even craving anything, so not sure what I will reintroduce first....my first thought is that I'll do sushi with rice and bring my own coconut aminos.  I've never had an issue with rice before so that should be an easy one.

What's your plan?

@snowflower not feeling the tiger blood at all. But that’s ok!!! My appetite has decreased significantly. Trying to get down a couple eggs and veggies this morning and it’s not going well!! :blink: As far as plan for reintro... I’ve been craving my steel cut oats.... or any oats for that matter... so I think I’ll do non gluten grains first. The next thing I’d like to try is dairy... I miss my full fat Greek plain yogurt... Other than that- no plan!!!!! I like ur idea re legumes. I think I’ll follow that myself. Eventually a slice of pizza once the reintro s r done!

18 minutes ago, Schwich said:

@snowflower not feeling the tiger blood at all. But that’s ok!!! My appetite has decreased significantly. Trying to get down a couple eggs and veggies this morning and it’s not going well!! :blink: As far as plan for reintro... I’ve been craving my steel cut oats.... or any oats for that matter... so I think I’ll do non gluten grains first. The next thing I’d like to try is dairy... I miss my full fat Greek plain yogurt... Other than that- no plan!!!!! I like ur idea re legumes. I think I’ll follow that myself. Eventually a slice of pizza once the reintro s r done!

@ShannonM816 is the appetite thing normal????

• Moderators

@Schwich yes, most people go through a period where they're just not as hungry. Keep trying to eat something for each meal. If you think there may be some food boredom involved, try new recipes. If you're just over it at this point, it might be helpful to stick with things you've done before and know you like.

There is sometimes a thing called "extinction burst" which is like your body's last ditch effort to go back to the foods you were used to eating before. Usually it happens a little earlier than day 25, but it might still be some of what you're experiencing here. You can read a little more about that here, scroll down to the second question:   https://whole30.com/2013/07/dear-melissa-cooking-for-two-and-day-ten-tantrums/

• Moderators

No, if you miss a meal, it's not ideal but it's not really screwing everything up. The problem is sometimes, people skip a meal, and then they continue not feeling hungry so they mess around and miss another. Or they get into a habit of skipping a meal every day or two. The reality is, the smallest servings on the meal template, eaten three times a day, are the bare minimum an adult human needs just to exist. The more active you are or want to be, the more energy you need, and you get that energy from food.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:39 AM, Schwich said:

@snowflower curious.... what has brought u back to whole30 time and time again?

I feel amazing, it makes sense in my brain and it works for me.  Frustratingly, I'm still working on the the food freedom part.  I have read the book (maybe I should re-read) and have followed the reintro steps and have done mini resets and repeat Whole30s to get back on track, but I struggle with "freedom". 

I'm still tweaking my plans for reintro....I work on Day 30 and on day 1 of reintro and trying to do anything "planned" on a work day could go wrong at any moment.  So my thoughts now are to go 31 days and start my reintros on Wednesday, August 1.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:34 AM, snowflower said:

but I struggle with "freedom".

Don’t feel like you have to respond.... but what food freedom issues are u expericning? I’m only curious as I’m wondering if this one whole 30 is going to help me on the emotional eating and “I deserve that” eating...

im excited for reintro. I so darn sick of eggs. So, oatmeal is planned for breakfast tmw!:) Reintro Day 1!

14 hours ago, Schwich said:

Don’t feel like you have to respond.... but what food freedom issues are u expericning? I’m only curious as I’m wondering if this one whole 30 is going to help me on the emotional eating and “I deserve that” eating...

im excited for reintro. I so darn sick of eggs. So, oatmeal is planned for breakfast tmw!:) Reintro Day 1!

I struggle with moderation and cravings.  And have a hopeless addiction to sweet and chewy.  I struggle with having one or two bites of a dessert or even eating a regular portion of dessert.  I have no brakes when it comes to certain things and will eat until I feel sick. 

But I am feeling different this time around.  This Whole30 felt different and my mentality around reintro is different, so I'm hoping things are finally clicking for me after 5 years! 

On 7/31/2018 at 6:31 AM, snowflower said:

But I am feeling different this time around.  This Whole30 felt different and my mentality around reintro is different, so I'm hoping things are finally clicking for me after 5 years! 

That is exciting. I feel I have the same food addictions. It will be interesting to see how things go after reintro. I did non gluten first and think I had some reactions. So I’m going to do it again. This time in isolation. Dairy was today. So good to have yogurt and cheese again. But cheese is a highly addictive food for me. I try not to have it in my house. Next group up legumes. 

Archived