Donna and Casey's Whole 30

CaseyD

Ok, Donna, a very nice lady I've had the pleasure of chatting with on this lovely forum, and I are doing a Whole30 together. Anyone else who would like to join are welcome too. Just start posting in here and we can all do this as a team effort!

Today is my Day 1, but I don't have a food log to post as of yet because I haven't eaten yet today. I, uh, totally derailed from healthy eating last night (I had been eating pretty clean for a while) and today I am paying for it. My stomach is just not up to the task, so a little partial day fast to start for me. If I were to post breakfast, thus far it would be water. ;)

BTW, Donna, that means we did not eat sushi last night, instead we opted for Mexican and I didn't hold back. I got the wheat, fried, beaned, riced, spiced, spiked and whatever else you can imagine is not Whole30. Lesson learned!!

Ok, I'll post back later after I actually have food today. Hooray for Whole30 starting!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome Casey! Thanks for doing this! Here is my log for the day.

Breakfast: Eggs, uncured Bacon, One Fresh Red Pepper, Water and Watermelon

Lunch: Bone Broth with a ton of fresh veggies and kale, Grilled chicken breast

Dinner: Charcoal grilled Grass Fed Beef hamburger on Romaine Lettuce Bun and Well Fed Mayo (onion, fresh tomato) and homemade Paleo Cabbage Slaw!

Snack: Fresh blueberries with whipped coconut milk and toasted coconut Well Fed Style.....

Okay, Tuesday's log First, did 2 mile walk and 60 minutes of weight training at the gym.

Breakfast: Banana, few macadamia nuts, bacon

Lunch/Dinner: Well Fed Chocolate Chili Romaine lettuce, Red peppers, avocado, onion

Snack: Sugar Snap Peas and Watermelon

I sautee some onion in coconut oil and then add the mashed, steamed cauliflower to brown it a little. I love it that way.

Today's log:

B: egg scramble with some ground beef and bell pepper

L: GF hamburger patty on spring mix and spinach, tomato, onion and avocado. I also had most of a sweet potato with coconut oil I split with my daughter

S: I had leftover cauliflower fried rice and 1/2 bbq hamburger (today was a burger sort of day, as you can tell!)

D: tilapia and steamed carrots. I'll probably have to eat some more of this in a few minutes because I definitely did not eat enough dinner! We were in a hurry.

I'm revisiting an old idea of going for yoga teacher training, so I've been doing yoga about every day. Today, I just did an hour to videos and the usual walking around the neighborhood. My husband and I share a car, and I don't usually have it, so my daughter and I commute by foot or bike.

Sounds like we just smashed Day 2! :)

Great Casey......great day! I have always been intrigued by Yoga but am a mover....runner, walker. But I need to slow down and strengthen my upper body more. I have added strength training 3 days per week at my gym....I hate it but after 3 weeks am definitely seeing some results and that is awesome! I have been on the cardio train since I am 19 (now 53) and need to get more serious about strength training. My best friend is one of the best trainers at this top notch gym I just joined. She trains me for free (which is normally 70 dollars per session). She sets me up and I go for about 4-6 wks and then she gives me a new program. I am getting to know the equiptment better and be less intimidated so I am being experimental each time, adding free weights etc.... Yoga, however is something I should and can add because my gym has 5 running classes at one time (Yoga, Spin, Latin Dance, Weight training, Pilates)

I will wander in after I lose 10 lbs and can touch my toes! :) Thanks Casey for being there for me....

Okay, day 3 for me....here goes, no exercise today. Rest day

Breakfast: Omelet with tons of veggies, Bacon, fresh organic blueberries

Snack: Grass Fed Beef Jerkey, few macadamia nuts

Lunch: Well Fed Chili over Romaine lettuce with fresh avocado

Dinner: Beef and veggies grilled kabobs and apple with almond butter

Today was a weird day full of toddler temper tantrums. I read your message, Donna, about your kids being grown and after today I was like, I'd trade you! Just kidding...

So, food today:

B: 1/2 can of tuna in olive oil (shared with my daughter, of course)

2nd B: a scrambled egg devoured while being screamed at. I don't think I tasted this!

L: same as yesterday - GF hamburger patty on a salad with onion and avocado, and a sweet potato with coconut oil.

D: kale chips and leftover bbq salmon I found hiding in the fridge.

Oh, and I drank probably three cups of decaf coffee with coconut milk because it was easier to make than actual food. Just one of those days! I'm sure you're going to discover, based on my food log, just what kind of day my daughter is throwing at me soon enough. ;)

I got out to the store tonight and stocked up on a week of meals - and scored some Whole30 approved bacon. So, my fridge looks much happier right now.

On yoga...

The thing I love about yoga is that you don't have to be anything to do it. You just come to it where you are and nothing more. It's not like other exercises where you're pushing harder and maxing out, or whatever. You're actually taught to refrain from going to your limits and listen to what your body wants at that moment.

I've been doing yoga off and on for probably 13 years, and I find that it can be a pretty strong thing to do for your body. There are more meditative classes and then there are really powerful classes that you walk out of sore all over.

That sounds like a great deal you have going with personal training! I used to be very much into cycling, but I'm finding that I really value things that make me feel strong, not just stuff that gives me stamina (like cycling). I'm amazed at how much fitter I feel doing even just body weight exercises versus spending hours on a bike.

Oh Casey....I used to take my boys to the park in the morning and run their rear ends off.....literally at the playground. I knew that would give me a good 2 hrs of precious napping by them....which meant I could do what I wanted....clean, cook, eat, meditate or nap too!!!! There is no more energetic time than toddlerhood....hang in there. This too will pass!

Yes, we do lots and lots of running... and climbing and then more running. I don't mind that, but you know, she's almost at the two year mark, so she's got a lot of opinions and not enough words to express them! Ha, I can imagine there's going to be a time when she's a teenager that I'm going to wish she would go back to not having enough words again. ;)

Today:

B: W30 approved bacon, and eggs with spinach

L: Tuna rolls: canned tuna in olive oil blended together with celery, green onion, and yellow bell pepper wrapped with avocado in nori sheets. This is me trying to get seaweed in my diet. ;-)

S: leftover strip of bacon on small salad of spinach, arugula, tomato and avocado. I also had some cantaloupe and a couple raspberries.

D: is about to be this: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2011/09/herb-roasted-chicken-with-zucchini-carrots-celery-and-onion/

today:

B: Bacon (approved) eggs poached, blueberries

L: Gazpacho soup, Lara Bar (SWYPO?) lunch was interrupted by several students so I reached for the Lara Bar

S: Beef Jerky (W30 approved), fresh veggies

D: Salad greens with a ton of beef/lamb

I think in the Whole30 success guide it says that Lara Bars are ok - occasionally. I can imagine it being survival food sometimes doing your job!

Do you make your own jerky, or what jerky are you buying?

Thanks Shaunna! Casey, Gourmet Grassfed...they are W30 approved. I pay 50 bucks for 25 so they are pricey but great emergency food for work and a great snack on the W30....taste like pepperoni! They ship out real quick....

Unfortunately, my husband and my home from college for the week 21 yr old have found them and I notice this am, they are going fast....they are Jerky lovers and are like.....mmmmmm Grassfed!!!!!

So, Casey and everyone.....Last night when we were in the chat with Melissa, she suggested Magnesium for our insomnia....so I hopped up and popped a Mag, Calcium and Vit D combo I received from Metagenics (my holistic doctor recommended this company). So, I then in one hour became so drowsy. I went up to bed and didn't even read....fell asleep. Slept like a baby all night. Did not get up even to use the bathroom (highly unusual)....and then, my alarm clock ran forever before I heard it because I was in this most convoluted dream! I feel so refreshed today!!!!!!!! I will do this every night and thank God Melissa popped into our chat last night!!!!!

Glad you slept good last night!

Wish I could report the same. I took Natural Calm last night, and while it definitely made me feel relaxed, I kept dosing off and waking right back up. But, I think I know why. Our houses are pressed up against each other where I live, so our bedroom (which is actually a sunroom converted into a bedroom) is up against our neighbor's kitchen and our room opens up to the living room, which is up against their bathroom and bedroom. They were turning lights on and off for half the night. I'd fall asleep when their lights were off and when I woke back up, I noticed the lights were back on.

So, today it is blackening out windows time. The room darkening shades I have are just not cutting it. And, we need to replace the door to our room (that has to happen anyway), so maybe it's time to remedy that so I can shut out the living room at night. I think the Natural Calm would have worked if it wasn't for the light issue.

So, Casey and everyone.....Last night when we were in the chat with Melissa, she suggested Magnesium for our insomnia....so I hopped up and popped a Mag, Calcium and Vit D combo I received from Metagenics (my holistic doctor recommended this company). So, I then in one hour became so drowsy. I went up to bed and didn't even read....fell asleep. Slept like a baby all night. Did not get up even to use the bathroom (highly unusual)....and then, my alarm clock ran forever before I heard it because I was in this most convoluted dream! I feel so refreshed today!!!!!!!! I will do this every night and thank God Melissa popped into our chat last night!!!!!

I will also try this, I sleep great once I fall asleep and rarely have to get up to use the restroom (I used to every night without fail), but I usually have a hard time falling asleep. I will let you know how it works for me, thanks!

WOOHOO....Just picked up my first CSA harvest today! Collard,Kale, Bok Choi, Red lettuce, Romaine lettuce, Swiss Chard, Scallions, Radishes, cauliflower, broccoli, sage, thyme, cilantro, etc.....this will REALLY help me to eat good and change my awful eating habits as it is a weekly CSA for 20 weeks! Post my meals later but had to share my organic excitement!

The CSA pick up sounds awesome. I actually have most of that planted in my backyard, but only the chard and the cilantro did anything. Oh, I have two baby broccoli heads. Too cute to eat, though. Gardening has been a big, slow learning process.

Jen, right? Absolutely join in and feel free to post in here with us! The more the merrier. I think it's been really helpful knowing I have someone counting on me to post as much as I count on them.

Have you figured out what modifications you're making to the Whole30? I think it is helpful to know exactly what your rules are so you're less likely to bend them further than you intend to in those moments when cravings hit.

Archived