Donna and Casey's Whole 30

CaseyD

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's log:

B: eggs with spinach and apricots

L: Hamburger, salad mix and avocado (it was a light lunch, most like a snack)

S: a little leftover pork and zucchini

Ok, Dinner was odd. My husband wanted to try a Chinese/Japanese buffet, so I basically ate some fruit, raw fish and one terribly dried out hard boiled egg. Their salad bar looked horrible and there wasn't a lot of options. Luckily, I really like raw fish and at least they made it fresh.

I have a terrible headache today, so I'm out!

Day 8 and turning a corner here....feeling like my BETTER self. the first week of this diet slays me as I detox from all that crap! Anyway...back to work today.

Casey: when I have a headache on W30 I make a sweet potato with ghee and it goes away or an apple with almond butter

J: Nice day at the farmers market....My boys are 25 and 21 now so naps are an option but for many years I was in your and Casey's shoes and naps were things my children did and not me! But today I know that sleep is my friend in weight loss and life and when I am exhausted, I indulge!

Day 4

Hhhmm, for some reason (indigestion I think) my tummy would not let me eat anything until gone 1pm. Not that I minded, and by evening I was fine.

B - Small handful cherries

L - Turkey breast, salad of cucumber and tomatoes, eggs scrambled with spring onions

D - Leftover salad (red cabbage, carrot, pepper, tomato, cucumber, radish, spring onion) topped with chicken breast marinated in lemon, ginger, garlic and pepper

S - Two carrot sticks

I read the "For Women Only" board yesterday and thought, I should be PMS-y around now, maybe W30 is fixing that, too.

No such luck. Today I have had a good breakfast, and blown through a second cup of coffee (with a good amount of coconut cream in it) and my emergency nut snack and I am RAAAAAAAAVENOUS. Plus I can't concentrate on ANYTHING. Ugh. And we have a staff meeting this afternoon. I will just have to get through it.

Anyhoo, breakfast was 2 egg omelet with mushrooms and beet greens sauteed in coconut oil, plus the first cup of coffee. Snack was about a closed fist of mixed nuts (macadamias, almonds and pistachios). I am about to have lunch because I can't make it another minute: leftover turkey, apple and sweet potato hash with some baby carrots and grape tomatoes.

I think there's a post in that section that talks about eating more carbs around that time. I've done this and it really helps. Maybe your lunch will make you feel better.

Before I went paleo, I used to have a migraine every month so bad I couldn't do anything for at least a day, but now it is just a mild, annoying headache - or sometimes really nothing at all. I think that's what yesterday was, actually.

So, last night my husband and I sat outside while the sun set, then meditated before bed. No electronics, and I think it helped. I would have slept great last night, except my daughter had other plans. She just kept waking up over and over, and wouldn't sleep until I got up and rubber her back. Oh well. I actually sometimes miss getting up with her in the night and rocking her back to sleep, so when she has nights like last night, I don't mind being tired the next day.

Ellie - glad your stomach got better. I can just imagine how pretty your salad must have looked just by reading the ingredients.

Donna - I think sleeping has always been an issue for me. My mom tells me that I dropped all my naps before I turned 1, and they could never get me to go to sleep before 11 p.m. My parents would just let me play in my room until I dropped at night, so I usually slept on the floor or on a chair. I'm so glad my daughter doesn't do this. I'd go crazy!

well today seems like it was salad and chicken day! Here's my food log. Went to the gym and did weights for 60 mins....

B: Eggs with lots of fresh veggies/ sliced melon

S: Beef Jerky

L: Salad with roast pork, olive oil and balsamic, Apple with almond butter

D: Salad with grilled chicken, red peppers, cucumbers, black olives, olive oil and balsamic

That's it. Back to work and no naps today! Ellie great job. J, I am in menopause so can't help you....Casey: some day you are going to catch a decent night of sleep!!!! Everybody keep it up....we are plowing through here....

J you have my sympathy, I turn into a hungry, grumpy beast at that time of the month. Rubbish TV and endless cups of herbal tea usually see me through.

Casey, I'm super impressed by your holistic mummying skills. I totally need to switch off more in the evenings, even if I am spending the time researching paleo food options...

Day 5

B - Turkey breast, black olives, cucumber and tomato

L - Chicken salad

D - Sautéed red cabbage, green pepper with 1/2 avocado and seared tuna

S - Small handful almonds and carrot stick (I need the crunch!)

Lunch did help for a while. Finishing out the day:

S: Cucumber slices and apple

D: Chicken, zucchini, onion and mushroom fajita bowl with avocado and salsa again (mmmm, love this)

I hope everyone gets good sleep tonight. I'm off to bed soon myself.

everybody is rockin' the W30!!!! Casey....I love the meditation and no electronics thing you guys did! I unplug at 8pm....then I read and am usually reading something spiritually uplifting (right now reading about walking the Camino in Spain). Walking the Camino is on my Bucket list.....Run a marathon (check ran 2).....go to Greece (check this year) go to Bay of Fundy to see the Tidal Bore (check this summer) Walk the Camino in Spain and France with hubby (check next summer).....life is filled with potential....I just have to tap into it! Have a great day everybody!

I should unplug at some point in the evening, too. I have cut back on my time online so that we can get to bed between 9-10, but I should try an electronic free period at some point too.

Today will be my first real W30 challenge - my team is going out to lunch at a restaurant. I don't know what restaurant but I will figure out something that I can eat when I'm there! On the other hand, I don't have to pack a lunch and that's always a bonus.

Breakfast today is leftover fajita veg, chicken and apple sausage, and fried egg. We're out of avo today so it's not quite as transcendent but still yummy.

Donna, you've gone so many wonderful places. Sounds like fun. Where is your avatar picture from?

Ok, yesterday's log. I ended up going to yoga class even though it was the last thing I wanted to do, and came home just ready to drop so I didn't get to this...

B: eggs and spinach

L: was this, minus dairy and spinach instead of broccoli: http://stiritup.me/?p=3492

S: hard boiled eggs and apricot

I didn't really eat a real dinner last night. I picked at some leftover meat and leftover lunch because I was just too tired at that point. Oh, and I ate a banana.

I think the stuff I'm changing is helping. I fell asleep without too much trouble. There were a few sleep disturbances in the night, but I was able to fall back asleep pretty easily. I think in all, I got at least 8 hours last night. Yay!

We have a beautiful week of sun and 80's here, so my daughter and I are riding the bike and trailer to a different playground each morning. We're making breakfast and heading off to that now!

Hi all,

I forgot to post my meals from yesterday. Oops.

B: Scrambled eggs w/spinach, 2 homemade sausage patties, 1/2 small avocado, handful of blueberries

S: almonds, spoonful of coconut manna, dried apples

L: cuban pork, 1/2 avocado

S: pina colada popsicle

D: Sri Lankan curry with shrimp [recipe from The Clothes Make the Girl], broc/cauli/carrot mix w/ghee

This was the first time I felt...well...sort of the munchies. I wasn't hungry but really wanted to eat something, thus the large snack between bfast and lunch. I was really glad I had some stuff on hand that I could eat.

I really wish I got more sleep. I have a 13 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. I have to get up at 7 to make sure my daughter gets out the door to school . The problem is that we aren't kid-free until sometime between 9 and 9:30pm, usually, and we like to have our grownup, chill-out time [usually in front of the tv, unfortunately]. Somehow with that and cleaning up the kitchen and checking email and talking we never seem to get to bed a reasonable time...it's often midnight. Sometimes even later. I really need 8 hours and I pretty much never get it. Last night I was feeling virtuous bc we were in bed by 11:30 and then the damn dog woke me up at 5:30 doing the pee-pee dance and whining. She NEVER does that. So I had to deal with that, and then had trouble falling back asleep. If it's not one thing it's another. Anyway, one of my goals is to get to bed earlier, even if it's just a little bit. Want to work my way to an 11pm bedtime.

Looks like everyone is doing great! I am on day 4 and feeling good.

We ended up going to a French restaurant and I got a nicoise salad (minus potatoes and anchovies). Unless there was something sneaky on the tuna (seared Ahi, not canned) it was compliant! Woohoo! Interestingly the hard part wasn't walking through the attached bakery or having fresh bread on the table that was tricky, but walking through CVS with my co-worker who needed to pick up some OTC medicine! I guess I haven't been in a CVS in weeks and walking through all that brightly packaged crap food was really freaky. I kind of felt like it was trying to jump me! Clearly that (sodas, chips, candy) is what is hardest for me to resist, although I've had no trouble with the office candy jar. It's so interesting what a learning process a W30 is.

I also had a handful of leftover trail mix for a snack this am. Mostly nuts - I ate the fruit while biking Saturday! :D

KT, I can also end up staying up really late surfing the Internet but I've made it a goal to get to bed by 9 when possible and 10 at the latest. It's tricky, but I am enjoying not being so tired all the time.

Casey, the playground exploration sounds great!

Ellie, are you from the UK? I love all the expressions you use and recognize some from my friend in London.

J- I get what you're saying. Our daughter goes to bed at 8:30 which usually gets stretched by 15-30 minutes, and we used to stay up until 11 or 11:30. My husband just had his work hours changed from 9-6 to 7-4, so he is getting up much earlier. That means we have to get to bed at 9:45-10 p.m. It's like we put her to bed and then have to turn around and get ready for bed. It's been hard.

We used to stay up and watch t.v., but since my husband's work scheduled changed, we've been playing games at night, or sitting outside talking or even doing yoga or reading together. It really helps make it feel like we are getting enough kid-less time, turning off the t.v. most nights. We only really watch t.v. a couple times a week now, but then again, we don't own a t.v., we watch Netflix stuff.

Ha, the packaged food was trying to jump you. I get what you mean. And, I hear you on sodas. Sometimes, all I want to do is get a fountain Diet Coke (I had a total addiction to this before) and I almost forget I don't drink those anymore. Luckily, I remember in the nick of time!

Today has been awesome. Probably because I slept last night. My daughter and I have been all over town on the bike today. We had eggs, spinach and banana for breakfast and gf burger (totally plain, we were starving!) with kale chips and sweet potato for lunch. This is the second day I've had her at the playground so long that she literally just lay down on the equipment because she was too tired to keep playing. Ha! I think we'll keep this trend going. At least until the 100 degree weather sets in. St. Louis is miserable in the summer.

We get up at 5;15 and the kids get up at 6 (which actually means my son is allowed to leave his room at 6, as he is often awake by 5, but we have to wake my daughter up... very different sleepers) so we can leave the house by 7:15. We put the kids to bed between 6-7. Which means we have no social life, but it is what it is. If they don't get enough rest, they are NO. FUN.

I am indeed a Londoner, J, in the US temporarily! I have had hilarious experiences in the public market asking for courgette (/zucchini), aubergine (/eggplant) and coriander (/cilantro)!

I received a care package from my mum yesterday, I was terrified it was gonna be full of my favourite sweeties, but luckily it was just a load of naff Jubilee-related merchandise. I took it into work and we had a Jubilee themed lunch break. :)

I get up at 6am (because American public buses are rubbish and slow!), so I don't struggle with early bedtimes, but last night was the first time in the Whole30 that I had a restless night. Probably just watching TV too late so my mind was still alive. Tonight I'm off down the pub - for a club soda! - so I'm expecting to be sluggish tomorrow. I'd better pack extra nuts!

Wow team, such an adventurous 24 hours. I love how everyone works this program into all of their challenges and sticks to it! So we are learning lots about each other....

J: my avatar is from my most recent trip to Santorini....the most beautiful place I've been to in recent memory! I love to travel. I would rather live in a small place and travel....see the world (which I do, live in a small place!).

Now kudos for overcoming the lunch challenge and the CVS massacre. Those brightly wrapped things are embedded in our brains...we see them and our mouth salivates.

KT: laughed out loud with the pee pee dance. Can't catch a break sometimes. But you are doing really well. Your Sri Lankan dish sounds divine. I have her cookbook and will look that up at once....what is pina colada popsicle?

Casey: Thank God you got some sleep and turned your corner today....whizzing around park to park on your bicycle. Your daughter is very lucky to have you as her mom....I love your practice of yoga and reading before bed and decompressing!

Ellie: Thanks for adding some "culture" to the group! Your posts make me laugh because you use words we seldom use here but I know exactly what you mean....like pub, naff, and rubbish! My nephew's new wife is from England and I could listen to her all day long....you are doing well with your own set of challenges....heck , the Jubilee alone would be reason to jump off the wagon!

Okay, so here's my food for the day:

B: Eggs with apple sausage, melon

S: Handful of cashews

L: Greens with pork, Apple with Almond Butter

D: Sashimi and side salad (we are going our for sushi) I will keep it legal....no soy sauce or tofu.....

toodles.

Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading through your log here and I'm going to join you for some accountability! I am from Canada (eh?), mom to a 2.5 year old, wife, full time workerbee, full time grad student... and first time W30er!

It's day 5 for me and so far so good. I can't remember everything I've eaten over the past few days to retroactively log but things like paleo pad thai (well fed recipe), BBQd gf steak and veg, salads, fritatta, homemade paleo sushi, a crockpot pork roast (man I ate that thing for days!)

Today was fritatta for breakfast, turkey breast (not the fake stuff), tomato and avocado for lunch and gf steak and roasted veg kabobs for dinner. With some cherries for dessert. Mmmm.

I love love love to cook, it's just finding the time to cook everything I want is a challenge. I blog at http://www.whatthisfoodieeats.com

The hardest thing so far has been drinking my coffee black but it's really growing on me so mission accomplished! If only I could stop thinking about cheese... And resisting the urge to snack at night. That's always been my big roadblock.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Welcome! Mrstrudo.....Just checked out your blog! FABULOUS and did you do the cooking and take the photos? YUMMY and I friended you on PINTEREST. You are doing really well and I look forward to you jumping into our little pack of Paleos....

Day 6

B - Turkey breast, scramble egg, tomato

L - Leftover seared tuna and avocado salad

D - More tuna! Of the tinned variety! With black olives, bell pepper, cilantro, spring onions, pepper and lemon

S - Carrot sticks and small handful almonds

Nearly a full week! I think I'm gonna cook up more recipes this weekend rather than just constant 'protein + salad'.

Welcome, Mrstrudo! Lovin the blog, it is in my Google Reader list now.

Ok, dinner last night was a quick "what's in the fridge" thing. I had another GF burger and cauliflower rice. I had plans to make something really involved, but we remembered Venus was crossing the sun, so that dinner was out. We wolfed down our burgers and headed to the park to see the local astronomical society's public viewing through all their crazy telescopes. We got to see some cool solar flares through these telescopes. It was pretty cool and I think we're going to dig out our telescope and join this group so we can learn to use it!

Thanks, Donna, for the compliment. I'm big on getting her outdoors, probably because I'm a big outdoors person. We're going to take her on her first canoe trip this year. That should be an interesting experience.

Hi Mrstrudo! Glad you're getting on board and sounds like you're doing great so far.

I'm starting to feel like eating this way is becoming second nature. We ran into some friends we haven't seen in a long time last night and they were very interested in this whole paleo thing. One of them got sold on the vegetarian thing and was in the same place I had come to at one point - it wasn't making him feel healthy. And, his girlfriend has a 12 year old who is suffering the beginnings of puberty and she was really interested in how paleo eating affects hormones. I see her daughter and see myself at that age - suddenly overweight, covered in pimples and uncontrollably moody. I hope they give this a try and get her on board!

Donna, yes, the Sri Lankan curry is from the Well Fed cookbook, just downloaded it to my iPad, much cheaper than buying hard copy. The pina colada popsicle is my new favorite treat and very easy. One can of pineapple chunks in juice, one banana, one can of coconut milk, and 1/2 tsp vanilla in blender. Pour into popsicle molds, freeze, and there you are! I had more than fit in my molds so I just poured it into little reusable ziploc tubs and froze them like that, works fine, kind of like an Italian ice. Very delicious and I feel like I'm having a treat but it's all good stuf!

Mrstrudo, how is the paleo pad thai? That's on my list of her recipes to try.

Only had time for my spinach scrambled eggs this morning and still felt hungry, so a few mins ago I fixed myself a plate of a handful of pistachios, a spoonful of coconut butter, and some blueberries. Hoping that will hold me over until lunch...it should. But I do think I missed having some meat at breakfast. Will have to plan better for tomorrow. I have a recipe for "breakfast pizza" that is basically a frittata....lots of eggs, sausage, and then pizza toppings like peppers and mushrooms. Then you're supposed to put a little marinara sauce on top. Keep meaning to make it so I'll have breakfast ready for the microwave in the am.

Not sure how to do it, but if anyone wants to follow me on Pinterest, I have a board that is just W30 recipes I have been collecting...up to 66 at this point. My username is the same as here, kt1969, and my name is Katie Edwards. Not sure if that's enough to find me or not!

I forgot that the kids had a school event last night. Luckily I needed to pick up a few things at the grocery for their picnic dinner (they are GF and dairy free but not W30, so couldn't have the pizza at the event) and realized, oops, the moms need to eat too! So I got an avocado, some smoked salmon, and a lemon and made canapes on slices of a cucumber I'd packed for the kids. And we had some pistachios, too. It wasn't really enough dinner so I had canned tuna with lemon vinaigrette before heading up to bed. Not bad for pinch hitting!

B: 2 fried eggs on garlicky beet greens and mushrooms

S: mixed nuts

L (about to have): canned tuna, avo, hard boiled egg and steamed asparagus with lemon vinaigrette

I am doing SOMETHING with the turkey fillet for dinner tonight. Still open to suggestions! :D

Archived