• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay, foods today

DAY 17

B: eggs with bacon

S: Banana, 7 cashews

L: Gyro without the bread or sauce

D: Grilled lamb, Bok Choy with coconut aminos, purple cabbage from CSA spoonful of coconut aminos

went to the beach today with the handicapped class. Walking the Jersey boardwalk was torture. Sausage sandwiches, pizza, ice cream, taffy, candy, cupcakes.....ugh will it never stop??

I love pure wraps! I am stingy with them though because they are so $$$

Welcome back, Casey - take that positive attitude and use it to keep on rocking the rest of this challenge. Put the weekend behind you. Hope everything gets better for you. I feel your pain, I had a really really really rough time just before I started this W30 and I ate my feelings to the max.

Tuesday was: salmon fritatta for breakfast, steak on salad for lunch, and sweet potato and sausage hash for dinner (I made the sausage with pork and the Well Fed seasoning recipe), and a few homemade larabar balls for a snack.

Today was: leftover steak with tomato and guacamole for breakfast, chorizo meatloaf with guac and salad for lunch, and salad, sausage burgers (again the homemade mix), and portobello mushrooms for dinner. A few larabar balls as well (these things are my crack!)

Feeling good coming up to the halfway point of this challenge! :)

Ok, back to Day 1:

B: eggs with mushrooms and onions with an apricot

L: smoked salmon and avocado wrapped in nori, and a little bit of cauliflower

S: (my lunch and snack were both pretty small) some GF burger and tomato

D: a regular size GF burger and green beans

Now I'm making a sweet potato because we just got back from a bike ride.

Phew, I managed to go for an Indian with my colleagues and lunch and (to the best of my knowledge) stayed complaint, sticking with meat curries cooked in tomato and coconut milk and ghee, and filling up on veg and salad over the bowl of naan. I did, however, eat a fair amount of fruit, but everyone else was having sweet lassos and carrot cake so I didn't want to feel the temptation!

Day 13

B - Scrambled eggs on top of fresh leaves

L - Indian food and fruit

D - Spiced halibut with tomato sauce, greens, caulifower

No snacks!

So far this morning, I think I just over salted my kale chips. Didn't think it was possible...

Hi everyone,

Coming up on halfway...still sticking to it, still feeling full between meals...but I have to say I've hit the point of feeling limited, missing my usual go-tos, etc. Especially hard with my lovely wife eating a bowl of popcorn next to me on the couch last night, one of my favorites. I'm sure I can stick it out 2 more weeks and all, but I worry about how I'll handle the transition off of it. I think I would kill someone for a slice of pizza right now. :)

Food yesterday:

breakfast: leftover lime coconut shrimp

snacks: almonds, coconut manna, pina colada popsicle

lunch: turkey salad on pure wrap, nectarine

dinner: steak strips, bit of guacamole, sauteed mushrooms and onions

how is everyone else?

--Katie

Oh, the sadness of an underrripe avocado. :(

I was able to go back to W30 with no real trouble. Casey's right, the temptations are stronger having been off-road, but I haven't given in.

Tuesday

B: 2 fried eggs with salsa and 1 avocado, coffee & coconut cream

S: mixed nuts

L: salmon, chive ranchish mayo, asparagus

S: more nuts

D: turkey breast, sweet potato rounds sauteed in coconut oil, roasted beets

Today

B: 2 fried eggs with salsa and 1/2 avocado, coffee & coconut cream

S: mixed nuts

L: hard boiled egg, baby carrots, half an underripe avo. Maybe the other half if I get hungry enough

Do the pure wraps taste like anything or are they just a convenient way to hold stuff together?

Way to go on the Indian, Ellie! I looooove indian but can't imagine going to a restaurant and sticking to W30 because I love the bread and things in cream sauces. Go you!

Lime coconut shrimp sounds like an awesome breakfast.

MrsT, yay for approaching the halfway mark!

Donna, are you done with school yet?

Jen, lime coconut shrimp was really good for breakfast...maybe even better than the first time around, except for some reason less spicy [which is fine with me but others might like it hotter]. Recipe is on my Pinterest if you're interested.

The Pure wraps...well, they definitely smell like coconut, and if you get a bite that is mostly wrap then yes, it tastes like coconut somewhat, but generally I wouldn't say they are much more than a convenient vehicle. The curry flavored ones are good too.

I hear you on the avocado. They just suuuuck when not ripe. I'm trying a new recipe tonight...avocado, carrot and orange salad. My avos are definitely ripe, just hoping not TOO ripe! That sucks also. But a perfectly ripe one is such a thing of beauty!

Hi ladies.....

Ellie.....great job on the Indian food....way to figure out the W30 kosher menu....

Katie: I can't find your recipe on Pinterest, is it the cilantro lime or coconut curry? I too am bored, but I am so freakin' busy at work I am survival eating. I have zero time to create Well Fed recipes that keep it interesting....

Jenn: I am still working until 6/21....then I have a staff cont ed day on 6/25....just finals so it should be quiet these next few days.

Mrstrudo: Larabars are like crack to me and if I eat them they set off emotions I can't stand like self pity I can't have something sweet....I carry them in my glove compartment for emergencies and only emergencies.

Avocados....tricky little devils and so betwixting and betweening. Got to hit the day just right. Sort of like pears...same deal. One day window of perfection. I am feeling very lazy. I know I should go to Yoga at 5pm but I have no real energy today. I hate when I get like this....

Day 18

B: eggs with veggies and bacon

S: 6 cashews and a banana

L: leftover zucchini noodles with home made meat sauce

D: Grilled chicken breast,sauteed portobello with onions sauteed cauliflower and broccoli

went to the Amish market and treated myself to a fruit smoothie made with strawberries, pineapple and ice....

Oh, and I'm super annoyed...I'm planning to make Tom Kha Gai soup tonight and I needed chicken broth for it....looked at about 6 motherclucking brands and they all have motherclucking sugar/honey/-ose of some kind in them! The best one I found has potato starch but no sweetener. I bought it, dammit. I figure it can't have much. But I will probably haul my butt to Whole Foods when my son wakes up from his nap and try to find the Imagine brand, which according to a few people on the forum is okay. Is it worth a drive alllll the way over there [and you KNOW that's not all I will end up buying] just to avoid a tiny bit of potato starch? I dunno. Sigh. I am trying to be "by the book" but I also used 1/2 tsp sriracha in a recipe [it has sugar in it] and 1/2 tsp vanilla in something else [has alcohol]. Spread that 1/2 tsp through however many servings and the miniscule amount that is the sugar or alcohol and it seems ridiculous, but I still feel sorta bad about it.

Katie....I hear you....we are not saints....eating clean can be daunting. I swear it is just easier to grill chicken and have veggies with ghee and call it a day on the W 30....when we have to add a billion ingredients, it gets dicey. But, do your best, because it does get really annoying to be scanning and scanning for bad ingredients in a tsp of something....if that miniscule ingredient will crush yourW30 I think we are all in trouble....thanks for the link

PS Thanks for the tip on Coconut Manna...got some yesterday and one tsp takes away sugar cravings....and my husband loves it too....I just got It Starts With Food in the mail today and am heading to read my brains out!!!!

Donna, I gather it's pretty much the same as coconut butter? I do better when I just take a spoonful and put it away...if I bring the jar with me then I eat way too much. Lucky for me I am a huge coconut fan, or this whole thing would be a lot harder! :) Glad you like it.

Katie, I'm a huge coconut fan too. Shame my local store doesn't stock coconut chips because they're totally my popcorn substitute of choice.

Donna, I'm jealous, I'm not buying books in the US because of the luggage weight. It Starts With Food shall have to wait for me.

Ugh, y'all, I'll admit: today I feel fat. I know I'm certainly not any bigger than before, and I'm not even overweight by much to begin with, but my energy reserves are low and my previously super-high confidence is waning. And, obv, I want to look better than 'a bit trimmer', I want to look the very embodiment of a healthy zen goddess. Sad but true!

For some reason I lost my sleep mojo at the weekend and haven't had a good night since. So, tonight I'm foregoing my usual exercises; I'm gonna put the Balanced Bites podcast on, clean the kitchen, and retire to bed with my book at 9pm. Hope my body takes the hint.

Super tired - about to head to bed, but I'll finish out the day. I had a couple of cheats tonight - I licked the sunbutter that was left on the knife after making my son's sandwich for dinner. It was good but crazy sweet. Then I was planning to do seared chicken with dairy-free pesto on zucchini noodles but I was so tired I couldn't handle the thought of all the steps involved in that plan. We ended up having chicken sausage and asparagus again. I could eat that every day, probably every meal, but Cait is tired of it and suggested we have (commercial) sweet potato chips with it. I agreed, even though they are made in non-compliant oil. The good thing about it is they didn't trigger a craving or binge, like they had been when I would eat them before going W30. I didn't even like the taste as much as I used to. Weird but good development (except for the cheating).

Ellie - their book is supposed to come out on Kindle next week, so maybe you can download it and read it on your computer?

I'm reading the book right now and so far it is pretty great. It's like a culmination of all the health/diet books I've read in the last three years (books of food addiction, overeating and paleo all crammed into one!)

I'm having one of those weeks where catching up on sleep seems impossible. Really dumb things messing with my sleep like dogs barking (that amazingly never happens usually). I actually took a nap today because I think my body just had it!

So, Day 2:

B: hamburger, eggs and veggie scramble

L: salmon and avocado in nori

S: a hamburger. (this is when I think I was starting to fade out, couldn't be bothered to make a side)

D: a banana and a sweet potato with coconut oil. Yeah, I opted to clean the house instead of actually eating. But, I'm not really that hungry. I just got seduced by the banana and sweet potato tonight.

I hear you guys about how the absolutely no sugar (among other ingredients) can make it a little tricky. I think that's why I eat so much freaking hamburger. I think in my natural state, if I had never been a modernized human, I would have picked bananas and avocados all day and insisted the boys ground up my meat for burgers. Oh yeah, and I would have pressed some coconuts into oil. I think I would have been kicked out of my tribe for all that, so good thing I'm not a hunter/gatherer.

Oh, and I'm super annoyed...I'm planning to make Tom Kha Gai soup tonight and I needed chicken broth for it....looked at about 6 motherclucking brands and they all have motherclucking sugar/honey/-ose of some kind in them! The best one I found has potato starch but no sweetener. I bought it, dammit. I figure it can't have much. But I will probably haul my butt to Whole Foods when my son wakes up from his nap and try to find the Imagine brand, which according to a few people on the forum is okay. Is it worth a drive alllll the way over there [and you KNOW that's not all I will end up buying] just to avoid a tiny bit of potato starch? I dunno. Sigh. I am trying to be "by the book" but I also used 1/2 tsp sriracha in a recipe [it has sugar in it] and 1/2 tsp vanilla in something else [has alcohol]. Spread that 1/2 tsp through however many servings and the miniscule amount that is the sugar or alcohol and it seems ridiculous, but I still feel sorta bad about it.

kt1969

I've been making chicken breasts in my crockpot for use in salads, chicken salad, etc. I put 2-3 in the crockpot, add onions (could add other veggies as well) and then add water enough to cover the chickens. Then I cook on high for 4 hours. In the end I have perfect chicken breasts to cut up for various things as well as homemade chicken broth that is definitely Whole30 friendly. Just an idea!

Feel much better this morn! The Balanced Bites podcast was all about the difficulties of losing small amounts of weight, and making peace with one's natural body shape. Made me feel a little silly for whining. Also, it's Day 15 today, half way!

Day 14

B - Scrambled eggs and snap peas

L - GF burger, portobello mushroom, sauteed kale

D - Tuna in spicy tomato sauce (homemade), served on zucchini noodles (julienned by hand, a workout in itself!)

S - Apple and banana (and I'll do it again today, I'm hardly gonna get fat with two small portions of fruit)

Sometimes, sleep and relaxation is all one needs to gain perspective.

Nina, thanks for the idea. I know I could have made my own, I was just too lazy. :) I did use the stuff that I bought and decided not to worry too much about it. Moving on.

Yesterday's meals:

B: turkey salad, banana

L: tuna and apple salad in lettuce wraps, cherries

D: Tom Kha Gai [chicken/coconut soup], and this delicious Carrot, Avocado and Orange salad...took a long time to make [have to roast the carrots but oh, so good]

S: carrots, pina colada popsicle

So, I weighed myself this morning. I know, bad Katie. And it was the same as last weekend. I am so disappointed. I really need to lose 30lbs or so and was really hoping this would be a great kickstart for me, and it just isn't. I'm going to complete the W30 and everything, but I just feel so discouraged. I'm sticking to it so well and really expected to see better results. I am snacking SO much less than I used to, would think that would help a lot if nothing else. Oh well. :(

Nina, that's good to know. I've only been cooking meat for about a year and there's still so much to figure out. I've been making my chicken stock from bones because they are cheap(er) at the farmer's market but now that we eat more meat, I can make broth when I cook the chicken breasts, too. I need a bigger freezer and/or a pressure canner but pressure canning scares me.

I had a morsel of turkey with mayo and some more nuts before bed because I was hungry again. Can you guys help me think through snacking? I am eating them 1-2 times a day because they are convenient and satiating, and I love them. However, it's more than W30 suggests AND, although I never thought this could happen, I am getting tired of nuts! I've been limiting fruit because of the sugar thing, and also because I'm trying to buy local and in season, so I have more fruit at the beginning of the week but not much at the end because what's in season now spoils so fast. Would it be ok to have more fruit? I do not love raw veg much. Occasionally I have a hard boiled egg but I eat SO MANY eggs now. And I don't know if I can handle jerky. A hunk of meat, whether dried or a piece of leftover turkey/chicken, is still really weird to me after decades of vegetarian eating, especially as a snack. Convenience is a factor. too.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks,

Jen

Jen, are you eating big enough meals? Also, aren't you only doing 1-2 snacks most days? I think 1-2 is ok, but maybe not eating nuts so much. I have days where I just need to eat 4 meals, especially if I'm dealing with carb cravings. Like now. ;)

Oh, I've also read varying opinions about what time of day to eat carbs. Maybe try playing with that. I'm one of those people who do better eating carbs later in the day and having very little or none earlier. It seems to help my hunger levels. Or, you could try making sure your meals are filling and then fasting at least 4-5 hours until the next meal, regardless of being hungry. Sometimes we can mistake stress as a hunger cue and not even be aware of it. Just some ideas.

Ok, so yay for carb cravings. My mom's birthday dinner is tonight and I just spent the last 10 minutes talking her out of making me a special dairy-free dessert. She was going to make me brownies out of a mix, and those are my absolute weakness. So, I hope she doesn't make them anyway. I don't need to be anywhere near those things right now!

Otherwise, I'm hoping dinner will go smoothly... My parents are the worse when it comes to hidden ingredients, though. They use spices with wheat, soy or MSG in them, and they like to abuse vegetable oils and artificial sweeteners. Just thinking about it, I'm debating eating dinner at home beforehand and picking at foods I can make 100% sure are actually compliant while I'm there.

Katie: you are exactly where I was at last week....some good news.....I got the book It Starts With Food and read the first 60 pages and in it was the whole hormonal response to the crap we used to eat. If we have really damaged our natural hormonal system with the insulin and leptin out of whack, it will take 3 weeks or more to see the beginnings of weight loss in this plan....so hold on to your horses. I know my pants feel better and I feel better. Don't quit before the miracle happens!

Nina: Welcome and join our crew....thanks for the tip on crockpotting chicken and I shall try it.

Casey: Hell is paved with good intentions. My mom and dad are the worst for tempting me. I turn into that little 5 year old girl and let them feed me. Go prepared with some back up treats. A Larabar would be better than a brownie :)

Jen: I find a granny smith apple with almond butter very satiating. Jerky is my fave and Lara Bars on back up for emergency. ....I did get a juicer and make a mean green juice that is very satiating. Do you have a juicer??? It's kale, a granny smith apple, celery, cucumber, lemon, and ginger. Very refreshing and satiating for hours. Kale chips are good and Katie got me into this Coconut Manna which is heaven, and takes away cravings....pure heaven! You have to warm it first and mix it but OMG what a treat!

Ellie: Where do you get your podcast from?

DAY 19

B: Eggs with Bacon

S: Banana and 7 cashews

L: slice of turkey, slice of roast beef, asparagus, chicken breast

D: GF hamburger, veggies sauteed from CSA

Mean Green Juice 8 oz

Archived