Breastfeeding and Craving

Hello! I am on day 45 of my second Whole 30 (techinically third). This time around I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old and even after a full thirty days I am still craving all things chocolate. My first time around, when I was nursing my toddler once or twice daily, my cravings disappeared after the second or third week but I am growing frustrated that I can't seem to kick this all consuming urge to eat cookies.

I wish I could give a food log, but I can barely remember how many times I woke up last night to feed baby boy. I've been trying to remaine diligent about eating enough protein, starchy vegetables, and fat. I typically eat a three egg omelette loaded with mushrooms, brussel sprouts, yellow squash, and bell peppers or fried eggs, banana, and almond butter for breakfast. Lunch is usually sweet potato friends, two palm fulls of chicken thighs, asparagus, cucumbers, pickled onions and tahini sauce. Dinner varies but is sure to include potatoes, salad, enough meat and another roasted vegetable.

I'm wondering if these cravings are just something I'm going to have to live with or if they are a sign of something else?

Thanks!

• Moderators

For nursing moms, you generally need to eat 4 meals a day, although you can divide it up and do three meals and two mini-meals. It might be that even though you're eating enough for an average person on Whole30, you're not eating enough for a nursing mom on Whole30. 

There are more tips here: https://mamas.whole30.com/five-tips-for-a-breastfeedingwhole30/ and here: https://mamas.whole30.com/dear-stephanie-whole30-breastfeeding-2/

I don't have personal experience here, these are just general tips, so hopefully some of the ladies who have or are breastfeeding and doing Whole30 can weigh in about what has worked for them.

Hi! I am doing the Whole30 and nursing a 6 month old. I don't have anything specific to say about chocolate cravings, but I do know about sugar cravings. I did the Whole30 in January- I started 9 days postpartum. It was rough. I ate very little fruit, Larabars, etc- but I still craved sugar constantly. When day 31 came around I went off the rails and I've been in a tailspin ever since. I am a week into my July Whole30, but this time, I'm being more lenient with fruit. I'm eating it with or in my lunch and dinner. It seems to be helping my cravings for sugar! I'm building fruit into my days, and even permitting myself to eat a Larabar if I feel like it. I'm discovering that it's actually helping me pass by the bakery without a second glance. 

I have read that sometimes cravings can mean you are deficient in something. I'm not sure if this pertains to you, but here is and interesting article: https://wellnessmama.com/57297/crave-chocolate/  She also mentions hormones as a possible trigger.  If you are struggling with the baby blues, chocolate cravings might also be your brain's way of trying to pep you up a bit. The 4 month mark was rough for me, so this makes sense in my experience. 

You are definitely an inspiration! How long to plan on staying on the Whole30? My goal is to do 60 days this time around. :) 

PPD hasn't been as hard this time as it was my last pregnancy but that may be playing a role with the cravings. My free t3 tested low at six weeks postpartum so my midwife suggested I go on an anti-inflammatory diet for 3-6 months. I thought I would start it off with a complete Whole 30 then be more lenient and allow some honey or coconut sugar but since I KNOW I would go crazy with sweeteners if I introduced them now, I need to keep them out until I feel confident that I've kicked the cravings.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

How's your intake of starchy veggies (sweet/potatoes in particular)?  Also, adding more fat can help with feeling satiated and curb the cravings (when in doubt, add half an avocado or some mayonnaise to what you're eating!).

I did my last whole30 while nursing a young toddler and even then I needed like 3 1/2 meals a day so if you're supplying all the food for your baby, you definitely need to make sure you're eating closer to 4 meals a day.

I am breastfeeding as well. I get those Montezuma's "absolute black" chocolate bars from Trader Joe's - they have zero sugar (or fake sugar), and have cocoa nibs. I think it can be hard, with hormones and sleep deprivation (oh god the sleep deprivation) to avoid cravings. I definitely get them badly, especially at night. Good luck, mama!

Archived