Legume Side Effects

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late coming to this, but I wanted to reply. When I reintroduced legumes after my first whole30, the pain later in the day was unreal! I had really unbearable intestinal pain and I was totally shocked. 

How did you handle legumes?

I had terrible stomach pains the next day, bloating and gas. I also felt itchy right after eating peanut butter! I used to eat peanut butter daily! I have reintroduced legumes, non-gluten containing grains and dairy so far. All have caused some type of reaction. Is that normal?!

I'm sorry to hear you're having a lot of reactions! It's definitely possible to react to everything. That's why Melissa and Dallas excluded those things from the Whole30! Do you find that the symptoms are all heavily GI related? It's possible that your gut may need more time to heal. If you're still healing, a lot of things could cause a reaction, but once you're fully healed, you may find more things to be tolerable. Just a thought, not sure if it's applicable in your case. Even if you have reactions, you can decide when those side effects are worth it for you (your own wedding cake? Worth the gluten headache. Free cookies at work? Not worth it. That sort of thing). So even though it may feel discouraging to have a lot of reactions, it's just data that allows you to make informed decisions about your food freedom.

Ah, that makes sense! I didn’t consider needing longer. I’m reading “Food Freedom Forever” right now. Legumes and dairy were worse than non-gluten grains. Most of them are GI with the exception of dairy where I had headaches as well!

My copy of Food Freedom Forever arrived today, so I'm reading it too! Dairy also gives me headaches (even just butter! Argh). I read a very good analogy about gut healing recently. I don't remember where I read this, but it was probably Whole30 material because that's pretty much all I've read this month! Imagine someone with a scraped knee that has healed a little bit vs someone with a normal, healthy knee. If you take some sandpaper and rub it on the normal knee, it won't really hurt the person much. But if you rub sandpaper on the recently scraped knee, it'll start bleeding! This is sort of like what's happening when you reintroduce stuff to a still healing gut. Hopefully most of those foods that caused reactions for you are "fine grit" sandpaper that, once your gut is totally healed, aren't rough enough to "skin the knee" on their own. But some foods may be such "course grit" sandpaper that they can scrape a perfectly healthy "knee"! This analogy was really helpful for my understanding of what's going on. 

Archived