Starting July 9 and so excited!! Here we go!

Tara Vil

Good for you, @____Emily____

Way to be committed and not put out those who put so much effort. 

My sister, BIL have done Whole30 before so they, and his mom (visiting from Croatia), made a compliant feast for sundays World Cup. It’s nice to have the support!!

yesterday, for me, was a crappy day food-wise. Basically was hungry all day because I woke up an hour early due to rushing for something, skipped having a good breakfast. I ate a Lara bar for breakfast and worked through lunch.  Hubby brought me a light salad for lunch. It had some deli chicken chopped in it (sugar listed on ingredients) oops. Another Larabar for a snack. So I was hungry, irritable and made poor eating choices.  

Positive: I swam 30 min and that shook for the irritability. Then we went to outback and I had a sirloin, shrimp, broccoli and baked potato which felt absolutely decadent but was only a 700 calorie dinner!!  I never thought about the spices on the steak and shrimp. Another oops

but today, Tuesday the /7th, is going great  nice big veggie filled scrambled egg plate for breakfast and no snacks since then.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/10/2018 at 9:40 PM, nerdular said:

I binged on cheese and tortilla chips and finished off all the beer in the house the night before, which was probably stupid.

Glad I'm not alone. I'm on Day 1. We had too much stuff in the house due to a weekend snack run my husband did. He was out of town last night which meant I tried to finish up the Hot Cheetos, chocolate peanut butter ice cream, a beer and almost full bottle of wine. I did not complete my mission, but I could have if my husband had been home to help. The thought of "what am I doing?" kept going through my head. I really need to get the remains out of my house now!

2 hours ago, Jenelley said:

Glad I'm not alone. I'm on Day 1. We had too much stuff in the house due to a weekend snack run my husband did. He was out of town last night which meant I tried to finish up the Hot Cheetos, chocolate peanut butter ice cream, a beer and almost full bottle of wine. I did not complete my mission, but I could have if my husband had been home to help. The thought of "what am I doing?" kept going through my head. I really need to get the remains out of my house now!

chocolate peanut butter ice cream, my fave! thankfully none is in my house right now. plenty of other temptations but so far, so good. 

I finished up the non-compliant foods in my house too. I actually spent a couple of weeks over-indulging in all of the foods I knew I wouldn’t be able to have. Originally I was going to start on the 1st but postponed because of a trip so I had an extra week to over-indulge.... by the time my start date hit, I was almost relieved to be going clean. There’s still some non-compliant foods laying around for after, but I’ve been contemplating tossing them. I would really like to continue with the basics tenets of this plan after the 30 days

Days 10 and 11 are here.  Supposedly the "hardest."  Double down on your motivation and willpower!  I'm having to eat out TWICE today due to work and my son's birthday.  So it'll be Chipotle for lunch (Lettuce, Guac, Pork) and then my son wants Golden Corral for dinner (ugh even when NOT on whole30).  So Salad Bar and bringing our own dressing will be our dinner. 

Had a good day 10. After work the bf made homemade hot wings using the recipe in the Whole30 book (the sauce recipe anyway... not sure if there is a full wing recipe in the book since the only additional step after making the sauce is to add to the cooked wings). The sauce was definitely different than the sauce you get from a take out place, but it was good. After dinner we went on a nice 2-3 mile walk

Today will be a test for me. After work I have a monthly game night I go to. I usually describe this game night as "the best eating I do all month" because it's potluck style and most of the attendees are good cooks. Lots of desserts and yummy foods. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to prepare a dish for the party so I'll be bringing cut veggies with dip or some other convenience item. I'll eat some quick protein on the way (I've got pre-cooked sausage and hardboiled eggs in the fridge, so one of those) and load my plate up with the veggies and try to keep my eye off the dessert table. Wish me luck!

I also started on July 9th.  I am doing this with my 15 yr. old daughter.  We love TASTY food, so I've been trying a lot of recipies from the Whole 30 instgram account and the original Whole 30 bookTHI.  Some really good stuff, but I am exhausted from shopping, chopping, cooking and cleaning. I have batch prepped the things we like, but still struggling.  My daughter doesn't eat salad, but loves veggies with ranch.  Haven't found a compliant ranch that she will eat and as a result she's not eating enough at meals, and snacks mostly on fruits. It's day 11, and I need to make this easier in order to be successful.  Questions:  Have you found/made a ranch that kids like? THIS WOULD BE A TREMENDOUS HELP!  Have you found any compliant deli turkey or ham?  Ideas for QUICK tasty meals? (having a hard time even looking at eggs right now) My daughter has been a real trooper so far, but with all of her friends eating junk, and going out for ice cream and such, I'm afraid she's going to give in and cheat.  We keep discussing the reasons/benefits for doing this, but she's starting to tune me out.  Any advice for making this easier would be much appreciated.

37 minutes ago, Karen Manis said:

Haven't found a compliant ranch that she will eat and as a result she's not eating enough at meals, and snacks mostly on fruits

I haven't tried it, but Tessemaes makes a complaint ranch dressing.  I've bought the Green Goddess dressing from them to eat with diced cucumbers and loved it. They have a lot of compliant options, and the compliant options are labled with the Whole30 logo. I've found them in Whole Foods and MOMs Organic Grocery store.  If you've got time, I would recommend a trip to your closest Whole Foods or similar type store. That's where I've gotten compliant bacon and sausage and my bf found compliant deli meat (can't remember the brand, sorry).  Just look for the options that advertise preservative-free and sugar-free (or no sugar added) and the ingredients should be good (obviously read the ingredients still).

42 minutes ago, Karen Manis said:

Ideas for QUICK tasty meals?

I really like the sausage I mentioned above. The brand I get is Brat Hans (many of their varieties are compliant - spinach, plain, apple, and sun-dried tomato are the four varieties I've gotten). For lunch I'll poke holes in it, toss it in the microwave, and eat with mustard (Whole Foods 360 brand German Style Mustard) along with some side veggies.  At home I'll either slice it or dice it and pan fry with sauteed onions and peppers. If I dice it up, I'll crack two eggs into it to make a scramble. I'm also a big fan of roasted veggies with grilled meat. Not necessarily quick (my sweet potatoes roast for 35 minutes), but definitely easy.  

Thank you.  We have tried both the Primal and the Tessamaes ranch and she didn't like either. I just discovered the Brat Hans yesterday and love them.  That definitely opens some doors. thanks for the ideas.  Our Whole Foods does not have any compliant deli meats.  I bought the Applegate sugar free turkey and it later realized it had carageenan.  If you happen to find out the brand your bf found that would be great. 

@Karen Manis I wonder if it's a texture thing? The green goddess dressing and all of the other dressings I've seen from them are runnier than the ranch dip you would typically dip veggies into and even normal ranch dressing.  Would she potentially like guacamole? I know people normally eat guac with tortillas, but I'm sure it'll taste good with veggies. 

I've texted the bf to ask about the deli meat and will update when he gets back to me

We found Compliant Organic Turkey Breast at Trader Joe's if you have one of them.  I used it today for my lunch to hold some spinach, compliant bacon and guacamole for my lunch on the run!

Maybe in lieu of compliant ranch you could make compliant mayonnaise and doctor it up?  

I'm pretty sure it was just their store brand Organic but I'll check tonight!  Also their Green Goddess Dressing is AWESOME and Whole30 as is SOME of their smoked salmon (I got the smoked sockeye).  TJ's really is the best single store I've found for Whole30.  Sprouts is a close second.

EDIT: They also had compliant roast beef but the packages they had at my store didn't look good so I can't speak to how good it is.

Thank you pags98. We do have a Trader Joe's. I didn't see any there. Do you recall the brand?

Just picked up the turkey! It is TJ's brand and ditto on the roast beef. Gonna give the Green Goddess a shot as well. thanks and feel free to keep the good advice coming!!!

Oooof, I just ate the leftovers from dinner Monday night (the feast my mom made) and feel super nauseous.  I remember feeling a bit ill after dinner Monday too, but assumed I just overate. Now I wonder if it was something she used for cooking.... I know she looked up Whole30 recipes for everything so it shouldn't be a noncompliant ingredient disagreeing with my body, but maybe an ingredient I don't normally use? I'm trying to decide if I want to ask for the recipes so I can see - I don't want to tell her that it's making me feel ill because I don't want her to feel bad or to seem ungrateful, but she wouldn't believe me if I told her it was something I wanted to make for myself. The leftovers are gone and I know she doesn't plan on making that chicken recipe again, so I don't have to worry about eating them any more... Maybe I'll just let it go for now.

@pags98 Good point. The nausea has worn off thankfully. It lasted for about 1-2 hours after eating, so definitely tied to the food.  On the day of, she had me check a few of the things she had bought and there were no ingredients that were noncompliant (except the bacon, which I replaced with compliant bacon).  However, the chicken had already been prepared and I know I didn't check all of those ingredients.  Maybe I'll bring it up next time I'm visiting and peek around in her pantry at the ingredients.

My daughter-in-law told me about Whole30 a year ago but my reply was "I cannot do a diet that requires me to give up wine".  This past May I bought the Whole30 book and read and studied it  for a couple of months.   Since I had a couple of short vacations planned, ending with my birthday on July 15th, I committed to start on July 18th.  I am now on Day 4 and it really has not been very difficult.  I prepared for the first 3 days of meals, including making egg-free mayo, coconut butter and hard boiled eggs.  Drinking sparkling mineral water out of a wine glass helped in the transition from wine.  Not weighing myself the first thing in the morning might be the toughest thing so far.

Disclosure:  I want to lose 10-15 pounds.  That said, I have had some GI issues.  A year ago, after a normal CT of my abdomen and doctor prescribed pills, I stumbled on FODMAP and eliminating high FODMAP foods have greatly resolved the problem.  I also have Hashimoto Thyroiditis and sleep poorly and thus am tired a lot.  Despite this, I do an hour of cardio exercises (recumbent bike and elliptical -- at 8 resistance) 3 times a week.

I am committed to the concept of a "reset of my immune system".  I have mainly cooked whole foods but have never eliminated all the things required on this plan.  I am looking forward to observing the health benefits I might experience.  And, I hope to lose some weight.....

I made ranch with egg and avocado oil and some spices & lemon juice. it turned out so thick & creamy that I had to water it down! The recipe here..

https://livinglovingpaleo.com/2015/09/25/crispy-baked-chicken-wings-jalapeno-ranch-dressing/

The last few days for me were fine and effortless. One of my kids has been sick so I've been distracted with that. Today (day 13) I've been feeling terrible though. Headaches, nausea, groggy, digestive distress. blah. I have been looking forward to bedtime all day. my husband cooked dinner which was nice because my interest in food is non-existent today.

@Margherita I have Hashimoto's too and I must say my sleep has been amazing during these first 15 days.  I'm dreaming and remembering the dreams and have full energy even when I only get 5.5-6 hours of sleep.  

My wife and I are really in a groove now on the plan.  We pre-cooked all our meats for the week yesterday so our meals should be a breeze from here.  I'm drinking absolutely zero caffeine now which is a shocker to me since I used to drink so much of it!  I already feel my brain changing from "I can't wait to have so and so food" to "It'll be exciting when I choose to have x for a treat"  I feel like I'm getting my brain back!

Very excited for our dinner tonight which is Korean Beef Satay and Stir Fry Vegetables.  I "sampled" the meat last night and it was amazing! We're halfway there y'all!

Archived