Starting July 9 and so excited!! Here we go!

Tara Vil

I had a sort of crappy weekend. It started out well - Saturday, I went to a fitness class with a friend and then we went to an event DC was having called "Puppy World Cup." They basically put a gaggle of puppies in an enclosure and let them play with each other and soccer ball toys while someone pretended they were actually trying to score goals and did announcing. It was adorable. Then around the time I got home I started getting a headache and it just got worse and worse. Turns out it was a sinus headache, but I didn't realize that until the pressure woke me up at 2am. The headache totally eclipsed nearly my entire weekend, but I did manage to stay Whole30 compliant so that was a win. Feeling better today so I'm ready to take on the week ahead. I'll have a few tests this upcoming week - a book club in a restaurant/wine bar/coffee shop on Thursday night, a book club in a restaurant/bar Saturday night, and a book club in a wine bar on Sunday afternoon (yes, three book clubs. I have a terrible habit of over-committing myself; the Saturday club may not happen because I haven't even gotten the book yet)

Congrats everyone on making it to the halfway point! 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, nerdular said:

The last few days for me were fine and effortless. One of my kids has been sick so I've been distracted with that. Today (day 13) I've been feeling terrible though. Headaches, nausea, groggy, digestive distress. blah. I have been looking forward to bedtime all day.

Oh no! Hope you didn't get your child's illness. Do you feel better now?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooof, was just invited by my boss to attend a graduation ceremony for a half-year program we run and one of the selling points was that it would include lunch.... Well, would be a selling point if I wasn't eating a restricted and difficult-to-manage-in-public diet!  I had a moment where I wanted to turn down the invitation, but I don't feel like I can at this point (I'm relatively new, and although my position does not deal specifically with any program related matters, I do feel like I need to be present at as many program things as I am requested at). After my small moment of panic, I decided to snoop around on our share drive and find the menu. It's buffet style, thankfully, so I can pick and choose what goes on my plate. Flank steak marinated in beer is out, but I'm sure something called "Chipotle Grilled Chicken" will be okay. And I can likely do the toppings of Pico de Gallo and Guacamole. Do you all think I can do the side dish of "Potato Chorizo: Chunks of potatoes sauteed with peppers and chorizo sausage?" or is it too risky for ingredients of the sausage and the type of cooking oil? (I haven't tried to buy chorizo yet, so I don't know how likely it is that it contains sugar like other prepackaged meat)

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, ____Emily____ said:

Ooof, was just invited by my boss to attend a graduation ceremony for a half-year program we run and one of the selling points was that it would include lunch.... Well, would be a selling point if I wasn't eating a restricted and difficult-to-manage-in-public diet!  I had a moment where I wanted to turn down the invitation, but I don't feel like I can at this point (I'm relatively new, and although my position does not deal specifically with any program related matters, I do feel like I need to be present at as many program things as I am requested at). After my small moment of panic, I decided to snoop around on our share drive and find the menu. It's buffet style, thankfully, so I can pick and choose what goes on my plate. Flank steak marinated in beer is out, but I'm sure something called "Chipotle Grilled Chicken" will be okay. And I can likely do the toppings of Pico de Gallo and Guacamole. Do you all think I can do the side dish of "Potato Chorizo: Chunks of potatoes sauteed with peppers and chorizo sausage?" or is it too risky for ingredients of the sausage and the type of cooking oil? (I haven't tried to buy chorizo yet, so I don't know how likely it is that it contains sugar like other prepackaged meat)

It's really hard to say on any of that without knowing the full ingredients. Can you contact the caterer? 

24 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

It's really hard to say on any of that without knowing the full ingredients. Can you contact the caterer?

I believe we can.  We host a lot of programs with catering and work with everyone's food allergies and preferences. I'm just unaccustomed to the process because I don't have a hand in program execution. I'll speak to my boss about it and see if we have anything more detailed.

How's everyone doing?  It's been a while since anyone has updated, but I'm guessing you're in the same boat as me: Things have gotten easier and eating Whole30 feels second nature now, even if every so often you dream about (or have a nightmare about) eating non-compliant foods and possibly occasionally crave junk constantly being advertised to you (I follow more than one doughnut place on Facebook... why?)

Congrats to all of us for making it to Day 18! I noticed a new NSV today - my resting heart rate on my Fitbit was 74 when we started on July 9th (so high! I know :wacko:), but today it is down to 66. When I was losing weight and working out last year, it was down to 62 or so, and my goal is to have it hover around that place again. 

@____Emily____ doing great here as is my wife!  We're going to have a challenge this weekend as we have to go out of town to visit my ailing grandmother (she's 96).  But fortunately even though she's in the hospital we're going to stay at her house so we'll have more food control.  

This week has featured some amazing recipes that I got from my RealPlans subscription.  I literally can't wait to eat lunches because usually it's leftover dinner from the night before which I loved!

Awesome on the heartrate.  I haven't even thought of that.  Mine is probably down due to drinking no caffeine (don't like coffee but also just haven't felt I 'needed' it). 

20 days ago you wouldn’t have caught me ever trying to buy or cook salmon. This is the second time I’ve made this meal: pan-seared salmon (salt and pepper to season, cooked in coconut oil for around 12 minutes - first for 7 minutes on the skin side and then the remainder on the fleshy side) with lemon roasted broccoli (425 for 20-25 minutes: broccoli with olive oil, minced garlic and lemon juice)

i love that I'm learning to cook during these 30 days 

0CB504BC-CB78-4426-A0AA-14D13DFCA259.jpeg

@____Emily____ that looks great.  Hope it's Sockeye Salmon which is in season right now and great in Omega 3s!  I've been doing Sockeye at least 2x a week since the season is so short. :)

My wife made some Apricot/Basil/Spinach Breakfast Meatballs for the next few days' breakfasts and I'm making a zucchini lasagna tonight!

How many other folks have "survived" from our July 9th group so far?

I did have two cheat dreams last night that scared the heck out of me until I realized they were dreams!

@pags98 I haven't checked the type of salmon. I've been getting my fillets from the actual butcher (is that still what they're called when it's the fish counter?), but I've been picking the cheapest one so I doubt that is sockeye. I'll have to pay attention next time; I didn't realize sockeye salmon had a season

Apricot/Basil/Spinach sounds like such a great combination for a meatball. Yum yum! I've got a taco spaghetti squash planned for tonight (I think I found the recipe on this forum) so I'm pretty excited for that.

The two of us seem like the only ones updating on here semi-regularly, but hopefully the others are still on plan and just getting by without the forum support. 

Yup there's a season.  I believe it runs June through early September for fresh wild salmon.  You can get it frozen anytime, but fresh is best of course.  Give it a try. In season you can find it $10-$12 a pound.  More then farmed salmon but it's so much better for you.  Farmed salmon has about 6X the amount of Omega-6s.  Yikes!

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/wild-vs-farmed-salmon#section3

Ohhhhhhh interesting... Seems worth the extra $2-3 per pound to get the wild stuff. I've been trying to be mindful about my food purchasing (particularly in regards to whether the animals were raised and killed humanely), but sometimes I still fallback on the old habit of choosing what is cheapest. This is a good thing to keep in mind as well.

Hello @pags 98 and @____Emily____ , I have been in and out of town for a while and haven't checked in.  I started with my daughter on the 9th. She is an athlete, and was not getting enough to eat ( basically because she is picky and even though I tried to make meals that would appeal to her, I apparently failed), She woke up nauseous and dry heaving on day 17, (she had been nauseous and Hungry since day one), so she bailed.  She is trying out for her HS soccer team this week, so we have been reintroducing non-compliant foods one at a time to see if we can glean any information from the time she did spend on Whole 30.  I have continued to follow the diet, and honestly, I haven't noticed any changes.  Very discouraging at 23 days in.  I will see this through, and hopefully reap the benefits.  Could use some encouragement at this point.

@Karen Manis sorry to hear about both you and your daughter.  It's funny, my wife and I only have my kids every other week (with the ex on alternating weeks) and both of them report that the whole30 has made junk food really rear its ugly head.  To put it as my 13 year old said it "I mean, don't get me wrong dad, it still tastes good but I don't know if the repercussions are worth it."  

Without getting too personal - what expected benefits did you/do you want to see?  Maybe you won't see any - from what I've read it's definitely possible that some don't see a big difference.

Here are just a few that I've seen:

Better sleep (even if I only get 5-6 hours a night I feel great), more energy during the day, no need for caffeine, mental clarity, my allergies aren't as bad nor is my asthma (still waiting to see if I want to go without meds for a test), no energy crashes, no sweet cravings.  I know I've also lost weight and likely inches.  I can see it in the mirror around my stomach for sure - but I'm waiting until next week to measure.

For your daughter I wonder if she's allergic to something you were making in whole30?  My oldest son for instance has a weak tree nut allergy so we have to avoid that when he's with us.

Sending good vibes your way.  You've come 23 days what's another 7?

@pags98  Thanks for the encouragement.  My daughter did come away feeling that fruits are "sweet" so maybe she has put a dent in the sugar dragon.  I was hoping to experience many of the same things that you have.  I don't sleep well, therefore I have no energy. My ability to focus is shot.  Sleep deprivation doesn't help with that.  I am 57 and going through the change, so I realize hormones play a large role.  I was hoping the elimination of sugar and soy would help with the hot flashes. I will stick this out and hope for the best.  Maybe I should post on a "women's thread."???

@Karen Manis Sorry to hear about your troubles! It was great for your daughter to even attempt Whole30 - I know I would not have done so when I was in high school.  Even if she is sometimes swapping fruit for candy/desserts, she is doing great things for her health. She can always attempt Whole30 again later in life when she is less picky (I have found that I am less picky about food and have a wider range of foods I enjoy now than I did when I was in highschool). 

I have had some general health improvements - I've clearly lost weight and inches, my heart rate has gone down, and I'm feeling more alert. I was sleeping well, but I have generally always slept well and that has reversed in the past couple of days (I've lately been having trouble falling asleep). However, I can relate to not having things fixed that I was hoping would be fixed through this program. I suffer from occasional migraines (probably 3-4 a month - usually caused by weather changes and/or my period) and a huge part of me was hoping this would be a miracle cure for that. It hasn't been and that was a bit of a let down. I would make a post in the women's health section or peruse that section to see if anyone else going though menopause has talked about symptom relief (or lack thereof). Maybe someone will have advice of foods you can increase to help with symptoms?

Today at work one of my coworkers was eating an off-brand version of Swedish fish and I asked to sniff the bag... Luckily, she knows I'm doing Whole30; otherwise I would have seemed a little insane:lol:. Swedish fish were one of my favorite candies.

So exciting that we have under a week left now! Have you all started planning reintroductions and how you'll handle food after this is over? It's a little intimidating to go from this fairly strict diet to.... whatever we think is best? I really don't want these 30 days to be for nothing - hopefully I've learned some stuff I can carry forward.

My wife and I have discussed this a good bit.  I plan on doing all the reintroductions as outlined.  That being said, I think I'm going to leave gluten and dairy out of my diet except for very special circumstances.  I just don't miss them oddly enough and I feel like those may be two of my issue foods.  But the experiment wouldn't be complete without testing the waters.  

We plan on doing a mostly whole30 diet because we feel so good and we're learning lots of tricks to make our lives easier for meal prep etc.  I definitely couldn't do it long term the way I did it the first 2 weeks.  Way too much planning and cooking (and cleaning!!!).  

We'll be making many more multi-serving recipes, crock pot items etc.   

26 Days is as good as 30 right?  We had Cracker Barrel breakfast catered in at work today.  It sure was a struggle to only eat eggs and fruit with all the other great things there.  But, I resisted the urge because 26 isn't as good as 30.  

@pags98

I am with you regarding reintroduction. I am going to follow the reintroduction plan to try all but don’t plan to go back to my old ways. Hubby is on board too. We made written lists of “never” and “rare/small servings ” foods. Like, no processed white breads like bagels. Rare will be things like alcohol and dairy. 

So this program has definitely changed our lifestyle 

@Karen Manis, stay strong. I was a student athlete as well. She can handle the calories from bad foods but it is not good for anyone to  spike blood sugar levels with candy as a way to get energy. You are helping her learn to eat right now, before she goes to college or hits a metabolism wall.  

Lethargy seems expected from losing huge amount of carbs if that is what she is used to (pasta, mac n cheese, sandwiches, bagels, cliff bars...) but I don’t think dry heaving is from Day 17 of meats, veggies and potatoes.  Look into why else that might be/happened. Why not let her plan compliant meals? Keep it simple... a meat, a potato, a veggie. 

When I started, I had not originally planned to do reintroductions, but now I do want to do them. Unfortunately I have a trip planned for day 10 of my introductions, so I may need to figure out something else for the timeline. Although I'm not sure - it's just a car trip in the evening (so one meal on the road). Am I right in reading that the reintroduction process doesn't require you to go back to Whole30 after the last reintroduction (Gluten Grains)? Because really the part I'm worried about is after day 10, when I'll be eating dinner at a baseball park (all-beef hot dog, possibly with the bun removed)

After this, I also plan to try to stay mainly Whole30. I'm not going to buy non-compliant foods for my house - the exception to this is foods with negligible added sugar (sugar listed in the "less than 2%" ingredients section). I'm going to be more relaxed when I eat out, particularly on special occasions, but I'm going to limit eating out to prevent myself from falling into the take-out-every-night habit again. I'm going to let myself have a glass of wine at all of my book clubs (2-3 a month) and a small unsweetened latte at my social reading club (once a week; haven't decided what kind of milk... that will depend on how dairy reintroduction goes). I'm kind of trying to set clear rules for myself because I'm afraid of the slippery slope of eating post-Whole30. I also am leaving the option open to do a reset/Whole60 after Labor Day if I find that I do slip back into my old habits.

3 hours ago, pags98 said:

26 Days is as good as 30 right?  We had Cracker Barrel breakfast catered in at work today.  It sure was a struggle to only eat eggs and fruit with all the other great things there.  But, I resisted the urge because 26 isn't as good as 30.

I'm struggling today.  I ran to the grocery store to pick up toothpicks during my lunch break and I was so tempted to buy stuff that is noncompliant. We're so close to being done with 30 days and succeeding, but somehow that just makes the cravings worse... I'm just reminding myself that I committed to 30 days, not 26. 

@____Emily____ I took a 10 hour road trip during this. Just packed a thermal bag with my foods (Salad, protein, seltzer, fruit) and packed a paper plate and plastic fork and knife. 

i sell thermal bags, from small zip pouches to big ones for a week, if any of you need them going forward. www.personalizeorganize.com

I totally agree that these final days are harder than the early days. Feels little bit like oh it’s no big deal to cheat. Yesterday was my hardest day because we spent the entire day in an amusement park. Had lunch before leaving and skipped the pizza etc to find compliant Park food... a baked potato with bacon (ok, sugar in that bacon is probable but i call it a pass with an A-)

after that was the real challenge.  We took the kids to Rita’s for frozen ice and custard. Normally, not a big 10 temptation for me. But they had cotton candy custard which is like the holy Grail to me. They never have it and it’s my absolute favorite. Even the kids were joking about how I had to have it because I haven’t had in years. I had two bites of my son’s and I now have a quart of it in my freezer downstairs. :/ Considering the temptation, I’m gonna give myself a pass with a C minus LOL  

no more cheats!  2 days to go!

Archived