Starting July 9 and so excited!! Here we go!

Tara Vil

@MegOSchmidt We went to the amusement park this weekend too!  So I had temptation Friday with the Cracker Barrel and then temptation Saturday with 9 hours at Six Flags.  Fortunately my wife was my rock at 6 Flags.  We brought cans of tuna, some LaraBars and some RXBars.  I told her I was just going to get a burger and remove the bun.  But then I was concerned about soy etc in the burgers.  She convinced me to just eat what we brought.  So we saved money and stayed compliant.  Just grabbed some mustard packets to mix in with the tuna (my wife used some hot sauce too that was miraculously compliant).  We did have a bottle of apple juice each so that was our "splurge" but it had no added sugars so we remained compliant even with our treat.  

So here I am, day 29 and not a single cheat despite two very big temptations!  Even took my son to Chik-Fil-A during Peach Milkshake season and didn't bat an eye. :)

Can't wait for Wednesday for final weigh in and measurements!  I really and truly don't miss much and I'm glad I had these temptations because it proves my willpower is there when I'm not all crammed up on sugars (real and fake).  I sincerely feel like Food Freedom is here and it's exciting!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I survived two parties, two concerts, a kid with pneumonia/hospital visit, and a weekend camping trip on this whole30! The alcohol was a little tempting, though not as much as I thought it'd be.  But man, those s'mores....

What a month it's been! Still haven't broken though! :D

I can't believe we only have today and tomorrow left! My parents just got back from a week long trip back to our old hometown and a friend of my dad's sent them home with a bunch of veggies from her garden. The veggies were mainly peppers, which my dad doesn't like, so I now have a lot of peppers! I'll be dicing the green peppers into my spaghetti squash and meaty marinara on Tuesday, but any ideas of what to do with fresh jalapenos? All I can think of is bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed jalapenos, but idk if I should hang on to the jalapenos until dairy introductions (next Tuesday, 8/14). However, I find that fresh jalapenos need something cheesy or sweet to counter the spice.

This morning my boss brought fresh Krispy Kreme donuts into the office (there's a store right around the corner). The closed box stared at me during our entire staff meeting this AM :P (for some reason no one grabbed one during the meeting). When the box was opened, I found I only wanted one a little though - like, I recognized that I would have immediately grabbed one pre-Whole30 (and maybe had a second after the meeting when my boss was trying to give away the extras), but they didn't really look all that appetizing... 

I've been planning how I'll do my legume introductions. It's a little difficult to isolate food categories sometimes, but if I read the guidance correctly, we can have sugars with everything. My plan is to get a plain latte with soy milk from Starbucks in the morning (The only concern I have with this is that carageenan is in the soy milk... are we now allowing the additives too? I'll post a Q about it in the Reintroductions section of this forum I think). Peanut butter instead of almond butter on my apple int he afternoon. And I'm thinking of incorporating black beans into dinner, but haven't nailed that down yet (I'll be eating that evening with my boyfriend who also has been doing Whole30 with me but isn't as concrete on whether he is doing the scheduled reintroductions yet). I want to make sure to get enough legumes that I can really be sure to feel the effect if there is an issue.

@____Emily____ Jalapenos don't last in my house!  During W30 I've been making a jalapeno ranch dressing with them that I put on just about everything. I add them to curries and stir fries too. And scrambled eggs.  And sauces/salsas. And taco bowls. :)I also freeze them to use in dressings or recipes when they're not in season. 

Wear gloves when chopping them, remove the seeds and membranes and they're not so spicy. 

I do love spicy food though! yum

17 minutes ago, ____Emily____ said:

@nerdular Thanks for the tips! Do you freeze them whole? I have four jalapenos so it could be a good idea for me to freeze a couple. I had never thought of scrambling them in an egg, but YUM! I could definitely dice one or two up in my scrambled eggs.

They freeze well either way! I'd chop/prep them all at once and just add them in as I need them.

We're planning on doing black beans with breakfast (kind of a Mexican egg scramble) and then I'm going to make hummus to have hummus and chicken for dinner.  One of our favorites!  Just put a bed of hummus and top with chicken that's been cooked with some onions.  

10 minutes ago, pags98 said:

I'm going to make hummus to have hummus and chicken for dinner.  One of our favorites!  Just put a bed of hummus and top with chicken that's been cooked with some onions.

Oooooooo, I was at Whole Foods this afternoon and saw that they sell Caramelized Onion Hummus from Cava (I thought the "caramelized" would indicated added sugar, but shockingly there wasn't any). I bet that would taste so good on chicken with onions.... I may steal the idea of chicken and onions with hummus. I also found this recipe (grilled zucchini with pesto and white beans) and think it may be good for dinner with some shrimp.

Yum.  The breakfast will include eggs, compliant chorizo from a local farm and the black beans.  I'm very excited about that.  Lunch I probably won't have any legumes - maybe some peanut butter but I am not sure. 

I do make a great bean salad but my wife doesn't like it so I probably won't make that for our lunch.  Includes Black Beans, Chick Peas, Fava Beans and Kidney Beans and has a "dressing" with Lemon Juice, Rice Vinegar, Garlic, Olive Oil and I dice up some scallions and avocado.  But since this is a "reintroduction" not a "gorge on legumes", I'll have to save it for later since it's only 1 day of testing. Hah.

Feel free to steal the Chicken and Hummus. I make my own hummus though.  I prefer light tahini but lots of garlic - most store bought hummus doesn't excite me.

So happy it's day 30!!!!!! I plan to do the 10 reintroduction as well.  Unfortunately, I really haven't noticed any changes in my overall health, sleep, focus, or energy.  I'm curious to see how the reintroduction goes, since I've never really been aware of specific foods having a negative effect.  I have slayed my sugar dragon and probably lost a few pounds. I have discovered a lot of really good recipes, and I did end up finding a ranch that my daughter will eat.  It's called dump ranch. I don't even like ranch, but I plan to keep making this.  Congratulations to all!! Thanks for all of your support during this Whole 30!

About to do my measurements before heading to sleep! I kind of regret having three servings of my spaghetti squash "pasta" tonight (it was sooooo good) because now I feel a bit full, but I never wake up early enough to have time to measure in the AM, lol. 

I'm getting my weight in the AM, so I'll just post the results tomorrow sometime. Excited though!

I lost 11.6 lbs and I am surprised by that given how many sweet potatoes I ate. :) I definitely didn't go hungry. It's probably mostly the lack of beer, lol. I forgot to take other measurements but my pants all fit better for sure and I was able to wear a swimsuit last weekend that I hadn't been able to comfortably wear for years.

I'm hesitant to start reintroduction though. My kids have strep and I don't want to mess with my body and lower my immune system right now! But I am going to do some scrambled egg breakfast tacos with corn tortillas this morning, and pineapple fried rice for lunch, and taco bowls with a handful of tortilla chips for dinner. I miss non-gluten grains, beans, and cheese the most. I suspect that gluten is the biggest issue for me and I may wait some time to try it...

I'm 6' tall on the dot.  2 years ago I weighed a whopping 341 pounds but I've been slowly and steadily working on that through MyFitnessPal (initially) and then added exercise.  So My Whole30 wasn't specifically about weight loss but rather to try and identify some underlying issues with my thyroid.  Weight loss would be a bonus.

I started my Whole30 at 253.6.  I also took measurements but off the top of my head I can't remember the numbers.

That being said, as I weighed myself this morning and took measurements here were the results:

Weight 234.6 (19 Pounds)

Chest Circumference - Down 1"

Stomach Circumference - Down .75"

Hip Circumference - Down 1"

Thigh Circumference - Down 1.25"

It was the most fun 19 pounds I've ever lost.  After the first 3 days I really never felt deprived and I didn't feel hungry.  I'll post all my positives in my thread in the Success Stories forum.  My wife lost 16 pounds during her whole30 as well! Our first reintroduction meal was amazing - 2 Chorizo sausage links crumbled up with Spinach, Onions, Black Beans and 3 eggs.  Ended up yielding 3 servings instead of the 2 I was aiming at, but our idea of a meal size has changed through this. :) 

I wound up waking up early to redo my measurements because I just felt so overfull last night when I did them.

-15 lbs

-1.5 inches in my chest 

-2 inches in my waist

-2.5 inches in my hips

I'm thrilled! 

Just now, nerdular said:

You can do reintroduction any way you choose, actually. 

@nerdular is right on this. The recommended schedule is legumes -> non-gluten grains -> dairy -> gluten based on how likely the food type is to cause issues, but you can do any order you like. They just caution that if you do a tough food first, you may need to give yourself more than two Whole30 days before introducing the next group to get back to having a clean slate to test from (so the latter ones are more likely to cause longer-lasting issues if you have trouble with them).

40 minutes ago, ____Emily____ said:

I wound up waking up early to redo my measurements because I just felt so overfull last night when I did them.

-15 lbs

-1.5 inches in my chest 

-2 inches in my waist

-2.5 inches in my hips

I'm thrilled! 

@nerdular is right on this. The recommended schedule is legumes -> non-gluten grains -> dairy -> gluten based on how likely the food type is to cause issues, but you can do any order you like. They just caution that if you do a tough food first, you may need to give yourself more than two Whole30 days before introducing the next group to get back to having a clean slate to test from (so the latter ones are more likely to cause longer-lasting issues if you have trouble with them).

Yeah, I suspect legumes might be an issue for me AND I have really missed rice (family eats a lot of it) so that's why I decided to do it first. I am very much doing a play it by ear/listen to my body approach with the reintros. I am in no hurry for sure. I'm feeling great and want to stay that way!

Interesting.  Well don't tell my wife.  Hah hah.  She'd love to have corn back in already.  But following the standard schedule means I get to make this amazing Oat Flour Pancake recipe that I've used for years on a Saturday.  Would be hard to make on a weekday for me. :) 

20 minutes ago, pags98 said:

Interesting.  Well don't tell my wife.  Hah hah.  She'd love to have corn back in already.  But following the standard schedule means I get to make this amazing Oat Flour Pancake recipe that I've used for years on a Saturday.  Would be hard to make on a weekday for me. :) 

I was all set to do oatmeal this morning but the stuff I have, even though it's from a local farm, has the "this was processed in a facility that processes gluten" warning on it so I decided against it for day one. My breakfast tacos were amazing though. Fingers crossed!!

Well, legume day went well for me.  I had peanut butter in the afternoon, and chili with beans in it for dinner. No issues, except some excessive flatulence after the beans at dinner. However, that's a pretty normal bodily reaction to beans, so I'm not going to take that as a sign that my body can't handle legumes. Now back to Whole30 (except two work happy hours - one today and one tomorrow - where I'll have one drink at each) until I get into non-gluten grains on Saturday.

For non-gluten grains, I'm thinking: corn tortilla chips with guacamole, a quinoa dish, and possibly sushi for dinner 

I'm so excited! I love sushi so much, and I don't tend to use the soy sauce anyway.  I'll need to do a bit of research into ingredients to be sure not to get a roll with noncompliant ingredients in it (eel is my favorite, but I have a feeling that it'll be out because of that sauce), but it'll be a good dinner

Non-gluten grains went well - no stomach issues anyway. Had a chicken curry with rice, corn tortilla chips with guacamole, and sushi. Chips and guac are officially a "food without brakes" for me.. I was so full, and then I made it worse by ordering three sushi rolls (WHY??? well, I know why - I was only getting the basic rolls so getting three cost about the same as my normal order of one special and one basic roll would cost). I gave a few pieces to my boyfriend to keep from eating them all, but I was uncomfortably full at the end of the day. 

Archived