Ending Day #2! (Good Night)

Larkie

I. AM. STARVING. Already! No matter how many Whole30 approved foods I eat! I feel like this happens to me every time I start to eat clean - and Whole30 is definitely the most intense! I find it so interesting what this process does to your body. I definitely binged before I started, too. :/ 

/ end rant. 

Here to share support with ya’ll! 

Good night <3

What did you eat?  How did your breakfast look?   If you've got enough protein and fat with every meal, you shouldn't feel hungry/starving.

My advice without seeing your food intake: don't snack, eat meals with all the food groups.  If you need 6 of them in the beginning, eat 6.  But stay away from snacking.

Day 3 here for me.  I must've been living under a rock because I never heard of this program until a girlfriend mentioned it. I borrowed the book and started on July 9, 2018.

Day 1 - WAS RAVENOUS....had 2 boiled eggs in the morning w/black coffee, lunch was chicken breast and steamed cabbage, carrots and broccoli w/unsweet tea, at 3PM, ate an apple with some cashew butter, and for Dinner I was wanting to run people off the road so I could get home and cook SOMETHING - ANYTHING...……  I made pork chops and a sweet potato. Water water water.....

Day 2 - WAS SO NAUSEATED, took some Dramamine, then ate a couple boiled eggs and watermelon. All morning people were telling me how pale I looked.  Lunch, had leftover porkchop and sweet potato, more watermelon in the afternoon. I started to finally feel better then.  Went home and made stuff chicken breasts w/almonds, lemon, garlic, broccoli and had an herb salad w/mushrooms, sunflower seeds, raisins and a touch of lemon juice. Stomach wasn't wanting it anymore but ate it anyway.

Day 3 (today) - AM SO FATIGUED.  Had 2 boiled eggs, some cherries for breakfast, Almost too fatigued to walk a couple of small blocks.  Ate leftover chicken from last night and some watermelon.  3PM, feel better again.

Scared Day 4 will really be Kill All Things.  Already warned my coworker. LOL!

My motivation here is unexplained, no doctors can figure out, hands and feet aching.  Been GF for 8 years but just in this short amount of time, I cannot believe how much I much on M&M's and stuff without even thinking! :o  I figure the awareness-factor alone will make all of this worth it even if it doesn't help fix a thing.

Been on the forums looking for lots of encouragement to keep on keepin' on. :) 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, savemooses said:

Day 3 here for me.  I must've been living under a rock because I never heard of this program until a girlfriend mentioned it. I borrowed the book and started on July 9, 2018.

Day 1 - WAS RAVENOUS....had 2 boiled eggs in the morning w/black coffee, lunch was chicken breast and steamed cabbage, carrots and broccoli w/unsweet tea, at 3PM, ate an apple with some cashew butter, and for Dinner I was wanting to run people off the road so I could get home and cook SOMETHING - ANYTHING...……  I made pork chops and a sweet potato. Water water water.....

Day 2 - WAS SO NAUSEATED, took some Dramamine, then ate a couple boiled eggs and watermelon. All morning people were telling me how pale I looked.  Lunch, had leftover porkchop and sweet potato, more watermelon in the afternoon. I started to finally feel better then.  Went home and made stuff chicken breasts w/almonds, lemon, garlic, broccoli and had an herb salad w/mushrooms, sunflower seeds, raisins and a touch of lemon juice. Stomach wasn't wanting it anymore but ate it anyway.

Day 3 (today) - AM SO FATIGUED.  Had 2 boiled eggs, some cherries for breakfast, Almost too fatigued to walk a couple of small blocks.  Ate leftover chicken from last night and some watermelon.  3PM, feel better again.

Scared Day 4 will really be Kill All Things.  Already warned my coworker. LOL!

My motivation here is unexplained, no doctors can figure out, hands and feet aching.  Been GF for 8 years but just in this short amount of time, I cannot believe how much I much on M&M's and stuff without even thinking! :o  I figure the awareness-factor alone will make all of this worth it even if it doesn't help fix a thing.

Been on the forums looking for lots of encouragement to keep on keepin' on. :) 

So you're not eating nearly enough.  Have you seen the template?  You can find it linked in my signature below or by googling 'whole30 meal template'.

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for even the smallest woman, that's 3-4.  If you don't want to eat that much eggs, add another source of protein.  Where are the veggies for breakfast? You also have no fat listed at all on Day 1. 

On Day 2, you're short on fat and veggies with breakfast and you don't list fat at lunch.  Same with breakfast and lunch Day 3.  

Really take a look at the template and make your meals to match because this is going to get exponentially worse for you if you continue to undereat.

:o  Thanks, Sugarcube, for responding!  I did see the template today but still didn't read it thoroughly enough.  I didn't realize that much food PER MEAL.  uh...………….I don't know if I can eat that much, but I guess I can try.

As for fat, I though my fatty pork chop ought to be enough. I guess I better fry a few eggs from time to time. I did fry the chicken in some olive and vegetable oil.

Tomorrow will be spinach, mushroom scrambled eggs! :)  Thanks for letting me know.

I already warned coworkers that tomorrow may be Helenator day, so I hope we're good. LOL!  Thank you so much!

Larki, How are you doing?  So far, I'm not at total Kill All Things yet, but have been more assertive with people....a little. :)

Last night's dinner was egg white omelet, with spinach, mushrooms and slices of avocado.

This morning's breakfast, I made a four egg scramble with spinach, mushroom, black olive, green chile, cooked in some olive oil. Threw on some salsa.  I could only eat half, so only got 2 eggs down then my stomach was like...…….uh...…..no...…...had a few cherries.

My biggest symptom I'm noticing now is my mouth tastes like salt is in it ALL the time.  I'm finding myself drinking unsweet tea and not swallowing just to get rid of that taste. :unsure:  and yes, that's what I look like holding a drink in my mouth. LOL!

Eating a pork chop and sweet potato right now for lunch.  Stomach ok.

Just received my Whole30 Day by Day in the mail yesterday, so catching up a little.

I hope you are doing well and thanks for any advice Sugarcube!

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, savemooses said:

Larki, How are you doing?  So far, I'm not at total Kill All Things yet, but have been more assertive with people....a little. :)

Last night's dinner was egg white omelet, with spinach, mushrooms and slices of avocado.

This morning's breakfast, I made a four egg scramble with spinach, mushroom, black olive, green chile, cooked in some olive oil. Threw on some salsa.  I could only eat half, so only got 2 eggs down then my stomach was like...…….uh...…..no...…...had a few cherries.

My biggest symptom I'm noticing now is my mouth tastes like salt is in it ALL the time.  I'm finding myself drinking unsweet tea and not swallowing just to get rid of that taste. :unsure:  and yes, that's what I look like holding a drink in my mouth. LOL!

Eating a pork chop and sweet potato right now for lunch.  Stomach ok.

Just received my Whole30 Day by Day in the mail yesterday, so catching up a little.

I hope you are doing well and thanks for any advice Sugarcube!

Hi @savemooses - the taste in your mouth could be from inadvertently going too low-carb. Are you trying to get a fist-sized serving of starchy veggie each day?

For the omelette - any particular reason you are using egg whites? The bulk of the nutrition is in the yolk. We recommend you just eat the whole egg. And make sure you add fat to every meal - looks like today's lunch doesn't have any?

Hi @ladyshanny

I guess the only starchy carb veggie I know of is a sweet potato. I read the book, but I guess it's too much for my brain to absorb. :) What else would you suggest?

I just had egg whites last night because that was all that was available at the time.  Today's eggs were with yolks.

Today's lunch - pork chop was cooked in olive oil and it's kind of fatty, too! 

Thank you so much for responding! :) 

Day 5 ~ better today. Eating more squash and avocados with my meals, more food, seems to be a smoother ride now.

My friends that told me they were joining me in this journey bailed, or are preparing more, like slowly removing sugar so it won’t be so rough. Oh well, I have my reasons to do this, I trudge forward!

@Larkie, I hope you’re still hanging in there! :)

Oh yeah, I bought the Day by Day and it helps a lot!

Hi guys! Today is day 1 for me, and it’s my second time doing a Whole30, and I’m jumping on your bandwagon, I hope that’s okay. Would it be helpful for y’all if we check in with each other on here? I for one could use some support and accountability, and also advice. 

@ild228 Feel free, the more the merrier on the bandwagon!  I think! :lol:  This is day 10 for me now and I bought that Day by Day book.  It is right on the money!  I am SO tired of this whole thing and the book says Day 10 or 11 you're more likely to give up since you haven't see the "magic" yet.

I am finding that book helps me a lot more to keep on going than anything.  How long ago did you do your first Whole30?  This has been a rough ride, but finally a couple of days where things are just awful feeling finally. :D

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, savemooses said:

What does the Whole30 think about you taking Gas X, Excedrin, etc. to deal with the symptoms? 

If you need them, you do what you need to do, we definitely don't want you to be miserable. 

If there are compliant options, or options that are closer to compliant, and they'll work for you, try to do that. 

@ild228, so how's it going this time around? I'm on Day 15 now and now I think I've done the meal template wrong. I swear, I'm eating way too much.  For example, today, I had pork loin (2 1/2 medallions), squash cooked in olive oil, onions, green chile and pumpkin squash and 2 of those teeny potatoes cooked in olive oil. 

I did have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, some olives and some cherries.  I spent the weekend adding guacamole to everything.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the benefits of this yet, but for sure am past those nightmare cravings.  I didn't mean to quit coffee and valerian root to sleep, but I haven't needed those anymore.  I want Tiger Blood! (Whatever that means). LOL!

I hope you are doing well! 

• Moderators

@savemooses the meal template is a minimum. Some people need more, either all the time, or sometimes at certain times because they're more active or due to hormones.

If your meals leave you feeling good -- not overly stuffed or like you need to be wearing stretchy pants -- and you're going 4-5 hours between meals, you're good.  

@ShannonM816  I always feel stuffed eating that much.  I am NOT hungry at lunch time, but I do get pretty hungry at dinner time which is usually about 6 hours after lunch.  Thanks for touching base!  I feel like it's all wrong, but that's probably the stuff we have to forget now, it looks like a lot and too much fat, but we're retraining the body!  :)

Okay, Day 23.  Pretty miserable today because yesterday I had to put on a retirement party at the office and couldn't stop and eat MY approved food so I went way too long without food.  Trying to recover today.

I'm not feeling the whole Tiger Blood thing. I'm still just barely keeping my energy head above water to accomplish going to work and going home and cooking another meal. There is NO WAY I can do anything "extra". 

Yes, I am eating too much dang food and am incredibly tired of it. 

I did find some compliant bacon and Italian sausage from my out of town trip (they had a Whole Foods) but ALL.....JOY.....OF......FOOD......IS...…..GONE...………  I just want a pill to eat that covers everything and find something else to do. "sigh"

I'm tired...…….. I'm hoping I'm not the 1 in 10,000 that this doesn't work for..... I am not trying to lose weight. I'm just trying to feel better.:mellow:

I have not cheated ONCE and am not weighing myself.

It would be interesting to know exactly what you're eating.  Portion sizes of everything and also water consumption?  

I'm on day 23 and feeling great.  But I'm making sure to have lots of veggies.  For example here's what I've eaten today:

Breakfast: Apricot, Basil, Spinach Meatballs (3.5 of them - about golfball size each), 8 Sweet Potato "Spears" - about 1/2 a sweet potato, a handful of cherries.

Lunch: ~4oz of Eye Round Roast Beef I made myself, on top of 2 cups of field greens, with about 1/8 cup of cashews, half a tomato, 4 cubes of pineapple and some Avocado Oil dressing.  Also had a small tub of Smashed Avocado from Good Foods.

Dinner - Very excited for this as I made a Zucchini Lasagna that I'll have some salad with and some cherries with almond butter.

@pags98, Hello!

I'm feeling a little better today, but still do not plan any extra activities for sure.  Just done.  It SOUNDS like a lack of fuel problem.  Today's food (and this is typical)

Breakfast:  2 boiled eggs w/Dijon mustard, chicken sausage, 1/2 avocado - or I will do an egg scramble with spinach, olive, green chile, mushroom with 1/2 avocado.  With any breakfast, a handful of cherries, or watermelon, or cantaloupe, etc....

Lunch:  right now I'm eating a 1/2 bell pepper stuffed with cauliflower, Italian sausage, tomato sauce I made from paste, garlic, Italian seasonings, red chile.  1/2 avocado.  I went ahead and added a apple chicken sausage today (not typical).  Other lunches are usually a giant piece of salmon or chicken breast on salad, topped with damn avocado. LOL!  Eat a handful of fruit and/or pecans

Dinner: I'd rather shoot myself that shove more food down this gullet.  LOL!

Water, I only drink water, so maybe four 16-oz bottles a day.  Sometimes I drink unsweetened tea, but not for a few days again.

Good luck with your Zucchini Lasagna!  I normally make my lasagna with squash or zucchini since I'm gluten free already, but I can't picture it without cheese!!!!  :)  How are you making it?

Thanks for touching base! :) 

@savemooses it turned out amazing.  It feeds 8 and my son the picky eater ate it (begrudgingly) and my other son actually asked for seconds.  I consider that a success. 

I used 1lb of Turkey Italian Sausage (couldn't find a pork one that was compliant at the time), 2lbs of Grassfed beef, 2 Cans of Diced Tomatoes, 1.5 cans of tomato paste (6oz size), a diced onion, the obligatory Italian spices (garlic, basil, oregano, salt & pepper).  I modified the recipe to have more zucchini than it called for (it called for 3 but I used 4).  Assemble everything in layers then top with 2 beaten eggs (makes it look like cheese on top).  I baked for 45 minutes on 375 covered.  It was soooo good.

Honestly based on what you're saying you may be light on vegetables which is not giving you the micronutrients.  I'd up your intake of nutrient rich veggies.  What kind of lettuce with your salad for example?  I usually use a kale mix or mixed greens - certainly not romaine or iceberg - very low nutrients there of course. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, savemooses said:

@pags98, Hello!

I'm feeling a little better today, but still do not plan any extra activities for sure.  Just done.  It SOUNDS like a lack of fuel problem.  Today's food (and this is typical)

Breakfast:  2 boiled eggs w/Dijon mustard, chicken sausage, 1/2 avocado - or I will do an egg scramble with spinach, olive, green chile, mushroom with 1/2 avocado.  With any breakfast, a handful of cherries, or watermelon, or cantaloupe, etc....

Lunch:  right now I'm eating a 1/2 bell pepper stuffed with cauliflower, Italian sausage, tomato sauce I made from paste, garlic, Italian seasonings, red chile.  1/2 avocado.  I went ahead and added a apple chicken sausage today (not typical).  Other lunches are usually a giant piece of salmon or chicken breast on salad, topped with damn avocado. LOL!  Eat a handful of fruit and/or pecans

Dinner: I'd rather shoot myself that shove more food down this gullet.  LOL!

Water, I only drink water, so maybe four 16-oz bottles a day.  Sometimes I drink unsweetened tea, but not for a few days again.

Good luck with your Zucchini Lasagna!  I normally make my lasagna with squash or zucchini since I'm gluten free already, but I can't picture it without cheese!!!!  :)  How are you making it?

Thanks for touching base! :) 

So  your meals look pretty good, but a couple of things that you could try to see if it helps at all.

First, water. You're drinking about 64 oz a day, which is great if you weigh about 128 lbs. We generally recommend at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so if you weigh more than 128, that might need adjusting.

Next, are you salting your food? Most of what you're eating on whole30 doesn't have salt in it, so unless you're adding some you may not get enough. Just salt things so it tastes good to you.

For some of your breakfasts you have 2 eggs plus some sausage, but on days you don't have the extra protein from sausage, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand, which is probably 3-4.

Don't be afraid to add fat-- a serving of avocado is a half to a whole one, try having a whole one and see what happens, or having some other kind of fat along with the half avocado -- mayo with your hard boiled eggs, add chopped olives in your Italian sausage, whatever sounds good.

Fruit is fine to have, but some people find they feel best not having it at breakfast, finding that if they have exactly the same meal but one day with some fruit and one day without, they end up hungry sooner on days they had the fruit, even though they technically had more food. 

And it's never a bad idea to add more vegetables. Most people feel best with one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (potato, sweet potato, root vegetables like beets, rutabagas, carrots,parsnips, or turnips; plantains;  or winter squashes like acorn or butternut squash). 

On August 2, 2018 at 5:40 AM, pags98 said:

@savemooses it turned out amazing.  It feeds 8 and my son the picky eater ate it (begrudgingly) and my other son actually asked for seconds.  I consider that a success. 

I used 1lb of Turkey Italian Sausage (couldn't find a pork one that was compliant at the time), 2lbs of Grassfed beef, 2 Cans of Diced Tomatoes, 1.5 cans of tomato paste (6oz size), a diced onion, the obligatory Italian spices (garlic, basil, oregano, salt & pepper).  I modified the recipe to have more zucchini than it called for (it called for 3 but I used 4).  Assemble everything in layers then top with 2 beaten eggs (makes it look like cheese on top).  I baked for 45 minutes on 375 covered.  It was soooo good.

Honestly based on what you're saying you may be light on vegetables which is not giving you the micronutrients.  I'd up your intake of nutrient rich veggies.  What kind of lettuce with your salad for example?  I usually use a kale mix or mixed greens - certainly not romaine or iceberg - very low nutrients there of course. 

I’m going to have to try that! Thank you so much!

@ShannonM816, thanks for the suggestions. I’m definitely not 128 lbs so I guess I better drink more water. 

As for salt, I’m tired of salt and everything being savory so that’s why I’m eating so much fruit.  I’m never hungry anymore! Just stuffing my gullet against my will 3 times a day.

If I can’t choke another avocado or olive down, I add a handful of pecans.

i guess I need to gnaw on more veggies. Is there an easier way to choke it all down? It’s just overwhelming, the portion sizes. It takes me an hour to gnaw down what took me an hour to make, then an hour to clean up.

I’m on day 3 of severe fatigue and actually had a moment to stay home and in bed. Im done, but keep getting up to make more food. Today’s breakfast was 2 eggs, 2 compliant bacon, pecans and cantaloupe. Lunch was spinach with garlic and almonds, lemon caper salmon, sweet potato. Day 26, zero tiger blood.

I regularly take a B complex a multivitamin and a probiotic a D3 and omega-3’s every single day Even before the Whole30. 

Again, the reason I started this process in the first place was my hands and feet started to ache unexpectedly. Dr. blood test come up with everything negative. As a result so far, I have not been on Prilosec anymore, I don’t take anti-inflammatories anymore I don’t take Valerian Roor to sleep anymore, there are some improvements, but why am I so tired? It hasn’t been that way the whole time. I can’t say it’s all bad, it is difficult, though. I did read up on why the Whole30 may not work for you, but none of the above applied to me. Except maybe the “spirit” of it, but I have never liked deprivation. Lol!

Archived