Minimizing explanations

We did our first Whole 30 May 15-June 15 and finally finished reintroduction in early July .  I've been really working on food freedom (probably 85% of my issues with food are mental) and was fascinated to discover how horrible gluten makes me feel.  The food freedom is a work in progress - but I know that's the point - but I've been way more successful than I dreamed possible and I'm pleased with my new eating plan and the flexibility of making "worth it" decisions.  That said, I learned quickly people have a pretty extreme reaction when you say "Whole 30" and I am not really interested in explaining it to colleagues at a bar (and by explaining, I mean defending).

I was wondering what you all say when you don't want to explain your whole new eating plan but you don't drink anymore - I went out with colleagues last night and I'm sure they're all convinced I'm pregnant (I am not).  I discovered that I don't miss alcohol at all - I drink out of social obligation, pretty much entirely, so I've not bothered to reintroduce alcohol.  So I knew that no only did I not want to drink, but after almost 4 months without alcohol ( I actually cut out alcohol in March because it wasn't making me feel good), my tolerance would be nothing.  Just wondered if anyone had some good, easy one liners without outright lying (e.g., I'm on antibiotics, which backfires if people think you're sick all the time).

• Moderators

Probably not helpful but honestly, it's none of your coworkers business... what if you were a recovering alcoholic?  Would they be expecting you to explain your situation?  A simple 'no thank you, I don't feel like having a drink right now' should be sufficient... if it's not, then it's more of a problem with boundaries in general than with an eating plan...

Don't lie tho... live in your truth... if you're choosing not to drink at that moment then say so... if you lie and say you're allergic to booze or something then on the day you go out with them and WANT a drink, you now have to back track or out your lie... 'Oh, thanks but I'm good with water for now... hey how about that soccer game'... just respond in your truth and move on... no explanation necessary.

"Alcohol has been making me feel pretty rubbish lately, so I'm cutting it out". Who can argue with that? (Also, why would they argue in the first place?? But as we all know, some people are jerks and have their own problems.) 

Archived