Brand new to whole30. CrossFit fuel help?

Joe P

hello!

my wife and I start the whole30 tomorrow, and we're having trouble finding a "day in the life" meal plan for someone who does crossfit.

It would be super helpful for us to have some direction for how to eat throughout the day. If anyone has any suggestions, we'd appreciate it. I have searched around on here but haven't come up with too much.

thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Our recommendations for people who work out are to eat three template meals a day (you can find the template in my signature below or by googling 'whole30 meal template) and then a pre and post workout meal. Pre workout is fat and protein and post workout is lean protein and starchy carbs.  You can ditch the pre workout depending on when you workout in relation to when your meals are but it's recommended that people doing strenuous exercise eat the post workout within 30-45 min of ending your workout - post workout eating should not replace or be combined with a meal.

There's no day in the life meal plan for someone that does crossfit, our base recommendations are the same for everyone and then you adjust the meal template as needed to keep you full for 4-5 hours.

I guess one of our questions is - and forgive me if this has been answered 100000 times, but I just can't get a feel for it...

How much is "too much" in the way of potatoes/sweet potatoes during the day/split between meals? I understand the "fill the rest of your plate w/ veg" thing - just don't know how many potatoes/yams is too much.

thanks

• Moderators

It varies from person to person. A good rule of thumb would be to start with one fist-sized serving a day, maybe two on days you workout. 

People who are prone to depression or anxiety, who need to avoid losing weight, who are very active, and people who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or in the week or so leading up to their periods often find they need more. There is no set limit to follow, you may have to experiment some to figure out what works best for you, and it may turn out that you and your wife need different amounts.

• 1 month later...

@Joe P - were you ever able to figure out a good balance for you and your wife? I am starting Whole30 on 9/10 and do CrossFit, so I am interested in this topic as well. I have already been worrying about not getting enough carbs throughout the day (I exercise first thing in the morning) to keep my energy level up and muscles fueled (also would like to clarify that my typical carb sources are whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, etc.). 

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, britt1229 said:

@Joe P - were you ever able to figure out a good balance for you and your wife? I am starting Whole30 on 9/10 and do CrossFit, so I am interested in this topic as well. I have already been worrying about not getting enough carbs throughout the day (I exercise first thing in the morning) to keep my energy level up and muscles fueled (also would like to clarify that my typical carb sources are whole grains like oatmeal, brown rice, etc.). 

@britt1229 apologies for not responding. I got off of here for a bit.

I can't really give an accurate amount as to how much we ate, I just know it was a LOT. for my lunch on days I worked out (6pm), I'd eat a massive sweet potato. Seemed to help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, britt1229 said:

@Joe P worrying about not getting enough carbs throughout the day (I exercise first thing in the morning) to keep my energy level up 

Are you worried about the in-workout performance, or the rest of the day? It took me a while to be able to make fasted training work, but now I can wake up and get a 2 - 3 hour workout in fasted and then just properly refuel after with no issues, performance has been fine. If you refuel properly, your body will have more than enough glycogen to get through a demanding 60 - 90 minute session.

Archived