Day 9 but no sugar dragon- am I doing this right?

For the first few days of my W30, my cravings were HORRIBLE- before, I drank 2 cans of diet pepsi a day and always had dessert after dinner, and my brain was Not Happy when that all came to a screeching halt. But since day 4 or so, I haven't really 'struggled'. I have dreams about eating non-W30 food, but I feel like I must be doing something wrong since my body isn't reacting to the huge drop in sugar with headaches/lethargy/anything. I'm moderating my fruit, no more than 3 servings a day (usually 2).

Why don't I feel the sugar dragon? I was told this process would be hell for someone who gives into cravings/ has no food willpower (very much me), so why do I feel like I'm not doing it right (day 9)?

• Moderators

You're not necessarily doing it 'wrong'... not a single person has the same experience as anyone else.

Some things to look at that sometimes keep cravings at bay: Are you doing a lot of snacking?  Eating nuts and nut products on their own? Overdoing dried fruit?  None of these things are against the rules of the program but can factor in to keeping cravings at bay without realizing you're just giving your craving what it wants so it's not angry with you.

If you're eating fruit, which is great in the summer when it is local and abundant, make sure to be eating it with meals, not on its own as a snack.

Otherwise, just keep making those meals match the template, drink lots of water and keep going! :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is me too! This was day 7, and nothing so far. I'm feeling exhausted, and I was headachey for the first couple days, but I haven't really craved any sugary/carby/etc. foods so far. The last time I tried a Whole 30, though, the cravings didn't get really bad until day 13-15. On day 16 I had a fight week my fiance and ate a sandwich haha. Hopefully I am more prepared for that this time!

I also didn't experience intense sugar cravings which was odd for me.  The reason I'm doing the Whole30 (day 11 now) is completely due to the raving sugar addiction I had before starting.  I think some of it is just planning for the possibility of the "sugar dragon" as they call it.  I purchased a box of compliant date rolls and kept them on hand when I felt that sugar urge.  However, I've only had to break them out a handful of times.  I also blend half a regular date in my coffee with coconut milk in the morning. I think the lack of the cravings is a good sign that I'm eating enough and keeping it varied with me meals.

Archived