Is there a recommended way to safely gain weight while doing a Whole30?

My husband has agreed to do a Whole30 with me and while I am super excited I am also concerned. Through my journey of discovering my triggers for my migraines by my multiple Whole30s and lifestyle changes of eating healthier and cleaner, my husband has supported me in that journey which has resulted in him also losing weight. My husband was a healthy weight to begin with and now he is in a place where he needs to gain that weight back. So my concern is if he were to do the Whole30 with me he will lose even more weight. He is not one to eat a lot at one meal but he does eat often throughout the day. Are there any recommendations or suggestions for someone that needs to gain weight at the same time following the guidelines and rules of the Whole30 by not snacking? Thank you so much for your attention and help!

• Moderators

Here's an article about keeping weight on during the Whole30 - most of these things would also be applicable for gaining weight.  If he needs to eat 4 meals a day or 3 meals and two mini meals, that's fine.  The thing about 'snacking' that we don't recommend is the mindless hand-to-mouth snacking that people do, usually with dried fruit, fruit and nuts/nut products.  Eating a mini meal (like a couple hard boiled eggs and mayo) isn't 'snacking' and in his context may be helpful.

https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Archived