How can I consume more calories?

Hi, I’m 5 months postpartum, exclusively breastfeeding, and 3 days into my first ever journey with whole30.

I’ve already noticed my supply is taking a hit, tonight I pumped about 1/3 less than I normally was.  I know we’re not supposed to count calories, however I don’t think I’m consuming enough. I’m just curious if there’s anything I can add that’s high in calories? I’ve been eating 3 eggs for breakfast with salsa and half an avacado. I then have the other half of an avacado in a salad for lunch with chicken, or lettuce wraps with tuna and the basic mayo. Then usually a big piece of meat (beef brisket or pork) for dinner with lots of roasted potatoes and veggies. And I usually have banana, strawberries, carrots/celery as snacks during the day if I’m hungry. 

i just feel like it’s hard to find anything super high in calories. And I thought we weren’t supposed to snack a ton. Help! 

• Moderators

Higher fat consumption will give you a bump in supply... many breastfeeding people will sip a can of coconut milk throughout the day to keep their fat consumption up.

We recommend people breastfeeding eat at least four meals a day or 3 meals and split another one into two mini meals. Remember, the template is the recommendation for one person... when that one person is keeping another person alive with their body, adjustments need to be made :)   Instead of fruit and vegetables as snacks, eat protein and fat.  There are a lot of conversations on here about supply - if you use google instead of our forum search, you can find past topics... try 'whole30 breastfeeding supply' or similar.

Snacking is discouraged when it is hand to mouth mindless snacking.  Intentionally eating a mini meal between meals, especially for pregnant and breastfeeding people is okay :) 

Archived