Starting the Whole30 on 7/23

Sweeden17

I don't have much to say other than I'm going to start this coming Monday! I'm more apprehensive than excited in this moment. But I've got my day by day book and hopefully you all to support me! Thinking about using my Instagram (which has gone completely unused) to take pictures of what I eat. What do you think? Any hashtags I should especially use? Besides #whole30 :)

15320286447187982877599881872567.jpg

6 hours ago, LAO said:

Hi!  I am starting round 2 on Monday!  I also have the day by day book which is so helpful!  We got this!

Yes! We do. One meal at a time and planning. Off to do the shopping with list in hand.

My day one went well! Had to have a snack and started feeling hungry about two hours after each meal. I'm also currently breastfeeding so when I woke up at 3am I was hungry!! I used to eat a phat bomb (ghee, almond butter, tumeric, gelatin etc) but I decided that for the Whole30 that would be considered a technically compliant treat so I didnt make a batch. I don't really want to make a meal in the middle of the night because that would just wake me up more... I'll have to figure that one out. 

Also I've been posting what I eat on Instagram. That's been a nice little boost of motivation

IMG_20180723_112959_738.jpg

IMG_20180723_070956_362.jpg

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Sweeden17 said:

My day one went well! Had to have a snack and started feeling hungry about two hours after each meal. I'm also currently breastfeeding so when I woke up at 3am I was hungry!! I used to eat a phat bomb (ghee, almond butter, tumeric, gelatin etc) but I decided that for the Whole30 that would be considered a technically compliant treat so I didnt make a batch. I don't really want to make a meal in the middle of the night because that would just wake me up more... I'll have to figure that one out. 

If you are breastfeeding we recommend that you are eating up to 4 full template meals each day. If you need to eat between meals, prioritize protein + fat or protein + veggies. Fruits and fruit/fat combos won't do much for you. You can also sip on coconut milk or eat olives and avocados throughout the day to keep your fats up.

Hi! I'm a 7/23er also, so day 8 today. I'm doing great! I've done a few w30s before (I tend to do them about every 10 months), so I knew what to expect in terms of hangover, fatigue, etc. I think I'm over the hump. Every day I feel like "I can definitely get through today" and I leave it at that. I know I have lots of days ahead of me, but if I think of just getting through today, it's easier to focus on the here and now. I got up this morning without my alarm and I already feel more energetic than the past week. Maybe that's just me realizing it's week 2 (!), or a true increase in energy. Either way, I'm aware of it and it should be a great day (albeit 104 again Austin!). Have a great Monday everyone!

I also started 7/23. This is my first Whole30. My husband is doing it with me. We have a few things on our side. We have chickens, cows, and a huge garden.  The other things that has made this easier is that we have a freeze dryer so we make larger meals we know we like them freeze dry them. It has made travel and camping so much easier. We also never drink alcohol or caffeine so we didn’t have withdrawals from that. We are mostly doing this to overcome our sweets cravings. I have felt addicted to sugar and food and want more control. I feel like I have that and plan to do a very slow reintroductionbut am loving the absolute elimination and worried about the gray area when I am no longer on a strict Whole30 diet. 

At this point I am mostly feeling better; waking up on my own, able to say no to things and not wish I could eat them. 

Our kids arenot doing whole30 with us but we aware preparing the same meals for them and have drastically reduced their sugar intake and they are doing great. They actually tell us they love eating this way.  

Hardest thing: Eggs for breakfast everyday. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Begry said:

Hardest thing: Eggs for breakfast everyday. 

You can eat anything for breakfast you'd eat any other time of day, you don't have to have eggs.

Try salmon cakes (http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/) or burger patties or make some breakfast sausage. Soup can be nice for breakfast. Leftovers from the night before can be easy.

Or do eggs, but in a new way -- egg foo yung (http://meljoulwan.com/2010/08/08/paleo-egg-foo-yung/) or pad thai (http://meljoulwan.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/) or shakshuka (https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/shakshuka-kale-sausage-paleo-whole30/), for instance.

Hi Begry: Another 7/23er here, and yes I'm tired of eggs too! I haven't had a chance to make anything else in advance, so cooking up eggs in the morning has just been easier. I'm back on a normal schedule now and plan to make some different food. It's day 17 and I can definitely feel an increase in energy. This is my 4th whole30, so I knew what to expect, but this is a nice phase to be in. I'm taking advantage of it and increasing my workouts. We're going on a 2 week hiking trip in September, so even though whole30 can be a hassle, it has definitely made my training easier. Glad to hear it's going well for you!

Hey, any 7/23 starters out there? Day 25 now! My goal is to stay out of a food rut, so trying new things. The key for me is flavor, so incorporating lemons, hatch chiles and fresh herbs as much as I can. I've been working a lot, staying up late and getting up early, but I haven't gotten tired during the day. My sleep has been very good, albeit probably not quite enough. So maybe that's how my tiger blood is showing. I'm able to do all my work in good spirits, good solid sleep, and ready to go the next morning. Let me know how you're doing! Let's get through these past few days!

Haha I no longer am thrilled enough with my meals to take photos! Do you have plans for introduction? I'll continue more or less Whole30 and will add things back in gradually. As with many, my first will be a glass of wine on Wednesday! Enjoy your next few days. It'll be over before we know it!

Archived