Whole30 with inflammatory bowel disease

• Moderators

While this topic is fairly old I'm going to continue the conversation anyway to see if anyone has any advice or is going thru the same.

I'm frustrated. Extremely frustrated. 

I started the Whole30 with the hope of getting my UC under control. I'm on day 20 and feel like nothing is happening and that maybe I'm feeling worse! I've had a couple of really bad flares (one I connect to brussel sprouts so I'm staying away from those). The second flare that I'm currently experiencing I think might be related to coffee and kombucha. So starting yesterday I have cut those out as well to see if it helps.

I have been eating more red meat then usual so maybe that is a problem for me? 

I guess I was just hoping to feel better.....and I think I will have to take the beyond the 30 days since reintroduction seems pointless if I'm having flare ups. 

Sorry to be a debbie downer. I'm not giving up but I needed to vent. Any thoughts are appreciated and welcomed. 

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/37700-leahs-first-whole-30-food-log/

Things I notice from your log:

You're not eating huge amounts of them, but you are eating nuts (including in the Larabar) -- leave them out completely for a while, they can be hard on the digestive system even for people who don't already have issues.

You might want to add drinking homemade broth -- many people find it helpful for healing a multitude of issues.

Ditching the coffee is hard, but it is a good decision, it's definitely not helping you be healthier.

You should probably lose the dried fruit. 

Many people with digestive issues find it helpful to have their vegetables thoroughly cooked, raw ones can be harder on the digestive system.

No one here is a doctor, we cannot give you medical advice. You should talk to your doctor about whether to take your medicine or not.

Often for people with IBS/IBD, the recommendation is to cut FODMAPS. You could try that for a few weeks and see if it helps -- check out this article, and on the chart about midway down that page, try sticking to just the things in the green column.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! This is my first round of whole 30 and it was great the first week but for the last 2 weeks I've had loose stools and not sure how to change that! I've recently been diagnosed with colitis and IBS (which I've suffered with for many years) and realized I needed to change my diet. Before whole 30 I was avoiding gluten and dairy for the most part, so that wasn't hard to stay away from but what I feel is affecting me is the amount or the type of vegetables I am eating. I feel like I need to add some solids to my diet - bread/rice but still have 10 days to go! What do you recommend? What are the best veggies out there for issues like these? Thanks!

Hello! This is my first round of whole 30 and it was great the first week but for the last 2 weeks I've had loose stools and not sure how to change that! I've recently been diagnosed with colitis and IBS (which I've suffered with for many years) and realized I needed to change my diet. Before whole 30 I was avoiding gluten and dairy for the most part, so that wasn't hard to stay away from but what I feel is affecting me is the amount or the type of vegetables I am eating. I feel like I need to add some solids to my diet - bread/rice but still have 10 days to go! What do you recommend? What are the best veggies out there for issues like these? Thanks!

IBS?Colitis sufferers tend to do well on a low FODMAP diet as the sugars in certain foods aren't processed well by the digestive system & can lie in the gut fermenting.

Have a read at >this article< and take a look at the traffic light system list about half way down the page - avoid all the foods in the red list, and most likely the amber list until your BMs have settled, eating in abundance (compliant) foods from the green list & then you can start adding the amber foods back in one at a time to see how you go.

Any questions, just ask.

Things I notice from your log:

You're not eating huge amounts of them, but you are eating nuts (including in the Larabar) -- leave them out completely for a while, they can be hard on the digestive system even for people who don't already have issues.

You might want to add drinking homemade broth -- many people find it helpful for healing a multitude of issues.

Ditching the coffee is hard, but it is a good decision, it's definitely not helping you be healthier.

You should probably lose the dried fruit. 

Many people with digestive issues find it helpful to have their vegetables thoroughly cooked, raw ones can be harder on the digestive system.

No one here is a doctor, we cannot give you medical advice. You should talk to your doctor about whether to take your medicine or not.

Often for people with IBS/IBD, the recommendation is to cut FODMAPS. You could try that for a few weeks and see if it helps -- check out this article, and on the chart about midway down that page, try sticking to just the things in the green column.

Thank you Shannon for taking the time to review my log and for your suggestions. It is very much appreciated! Your link has sent me on a deep dive of reading. Thank you! 

Archived