Oatmeal as GF grain?

Today I was supposed to introduce gluten-free grains and I had oatmeal with my breakfast. After I had it I realize that maybe regular oatmeal would not be considered gluten-free. Would I be able to continue on with gluten-free grains today  or should I switch to regular gluten introduction instead?

• Moderators

Oatmeal is gluten free, but many brands are processed in facilities that also process wheat and other gluten grains, so for people who are very sensitive to gluten, like people with celiac disease, it can be a problem and they have to find oats specifically labeled gluten free to avoid that cross contamination. 

I would probably continue with the gluten free items today, continue with your other reintroductions, and then if you feel like this might have compromised your results -- if you have a reaction today and a similar one to gluten, for instance -- you could do another day of gluten free grains with items that are definitely gluten free.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
17 hours ago, STACEYRAE46 said:

What is gluten? Should I try to eat gluten free for better health? 

Gluten is a protein in many grains, including wheat, rye, and barley -- it affects the texture of foods made with those. People with celiac disease are made very ill by gluten, but other people may find that even if they don't have celiac, they feel better avoiding gluten. 

This sums up Whole30's position on grains, whether they contain gluten or not:  http://whole9life.com/2013/02/grain-manifesto/ (for more details, you might want to look for a copy of the book "It Starts with Food.")

Archived