Starchy Veggies + Fat

Hi! I’m on day 10, and I’m a person coming from a typically lean diet to begin with so the W30’s aspect of no calorie counting and stuff is a whole new world for me. I always tried to limit starchy vegetables and only really ate lean protein meat sources. So I have a question about that. I’ll use my breakfast as an example (two are pictured in my attachment but I only had one and saved the other):

- 2 slices of sweet potato, baked in homemade mayo & TJ’s Everything But The Bagel seasoning

- 1 fried egg cooked in pan with bacon grease

- 1 or 2 pieces compliant bacon

- roasted onion

(This is a delicious breakfast sandwich, BTW. I told my NY boyfriend it’s better than the egg everything bagel I had in Long Island right before I started my 30. He wasn’t buying it, but I mean, it is really good so you should try it.)

In addition to the breakfast sammie, I had about 1/3 of a plantain and maybe a tbsp of almond butter. I pan fried the plantains in coconut oil.

Overall, I am full. I know this meal was a little low on veggies, I’m normally better about that but forgot my spinach at home this morning. But I also felt wrong eating so much starchy/fatty substance. Is two slices of sweet potato and a little less than half of a plantain with oils too much starch/carbs? It just felt really heavy and I’m not used to eating this way, so I guess I’m looking for some insight and knowledge surrounding starchy vegetables in combo to fattier meats like bacon. Should I exclude anything like sweet potatoes from my dinner tonight? Thanks!

0B98FE55-E8EF-41F7-BFE4-9FFA62E642CF.jpeg

I think your ratios are a bit off. If eggs are your protein for a meal (bacon's a condiment and vaguely more in the "fat" column than the "protein" column), you should be having as many as you can hold comfortably in your hand. For most women that's 3-4; 2 at the very least even if you have small hands. I don't like eggs enough to eat more than 2 at a time so I'll do eggs and some other protein like homemade breakfast sausage. 

Some people also find that they don't do well having a fair amount of starchy carbs in the morning, so you might want to try moving that sweet potato to later in the day. 

I think if you tinker around with getting a ratio of foods closer to the template, you won't have that heavy feeling. 

Do

3 hours ago, laura_juggles said:

I think your ratios are a bit off. If eggs are your protein for a meal (bacon's a condiment and vaguely more in the "fat" column than the "protein" column), you should be having as many as you can hold comfortably in your hand. For most women that's 3-4; 2 at the very least even if you have small hands. I don't like eggs enough to eat more than 2 at a time so I'll do eggs and some other protein like homemade breakfast sausage. 

Some people also find that they don't do well having a fair amount of starchy carbs in the morning, so you might want to try moving that sweet potato to later in the day. 

I think if you tinker around with getting a ratio of foods closer to the template, you won't have that heavy feeling. 

Thank you, that’s really helpful! It definitely makes sense to use bacon as more of a condiment and fat than protein.

A follow up question is how much starchy vegetables I should be having in a set day. For example, a whole sweet potatoes’ worth (not necessarily in one meal but throughout the day), more, less? Maybe that’s more based on preference, but I guess I’d like to know an average or some other people’s take because I feel like sweet potatoes are a huge W30 go to, I know they have been for me, but I don’t want to overdo it without realizing. 

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, margaret2018 said:

Do

Thank you, that’s really helpful! It definitely makes sense to use bacon as more of a condiment and fat than protein.

A follow up question is how much starchy vegetables I should be having in a set day. For example, a whole sweet potatoes’ worth (not necessarily in one meal but throughout the day), more, less? Maybe that’s more based on preference, but I guess I’d like to know an average or some other people’s take because I feel like sweet potatoes are a huge W30 go to, I know they have been for me, but I don’t want to overdo it without realizing. 

We recommend starting with one fist sized portion of starchy veg a day and then more if you are particularly active, have mild mood disorders and sometimes more in the week leading up to and of your period if you menstruate. 

Archived