All Day Exercise and Low Blood Sugars

Vandy113

I currently work as a white water raft guide  and am getting ready to start my 3rd round of Whole30. This is my first time doing Whole30 as a raft guide. I've seen posts discussing timing of meals but my concern is this: I have a problem with my blood sugar bottoming out (Overall shakiness, tunnel vision, staticky hearing, etc.) while rafting and tend to use quick sugars (gu, sports drinks, glucose tabs) to pull them back up quickly because there's really no time for a time out while going down rapids. I make sure to eat fat and protein heavy on rafting days but still can't seem to make it through a full day (approx. 5 trips or 8 hours) without crashing at least once. What are some good Whole30 compliant substitutes for quick sugars listed above. I've seen a couple recommendations on other forums but my concern is that these substitutes won't be as quick acting as I need them to be (think 15 minutes or less). I'm open to any and all thoughts and suggestions

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Wow, that's quite a job! Could you use larabars, dates, those purree fruit/veggie pouches? You are definitely burning up a huge amount of energy so even though you should be fat adapted, you're going to need to fuel more regularly.

When you've done Whole30 in past, have you been able to become fat adapted? (ie, never hangry, stable moods, easily able to go 4-5 hours between meals) Becoming fat adapted is going to be your best bet in at least being able to extend your time between meals. Since you have 5 trips in an 8 hour period I assume you're back on shore every 90 minutes or so? I would prioritize a protein and starch "snack" between each trip and then of course, a few meal-sized meals where appropriate. If you're on shore for the time it takes the new group to load up, you should be able to get some food in and then let it digest through your system for the 10-15 minutes it takes. I assume that serious rapids aren't right on the "doorstep" of where the groups load?

Those are definitely snacks that I could have near our staging area to get people ready to go so I’ll be sure to incorporate those into my routine. I have been able to become fat adapted in the past so that’s a plus. We are on shore about every 90 minutes so that does allow me time to throw a snack in. I’ve stuck to the three meal structure in the past but you’re right that it might be a good idea to structure in a couple small snacks throughout the day and should work well as the biggest rapids or at the end so I’ll be able to renourish right after the biggest calorie burn. 

THANKS!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Vandy113 said:

Those are definitely snacks that I could have near our staging area to get people ready to go so I’ll be sure to incorporate those into my routine. I have been able to become fat adapted in the past so that’s a plus. We are on shore about every 90 minutes so that does allow me time to throw a snack in. I’ve stuck to the three meal structure in the past but you’re right that it might be a good idea to structure in a couple small snacks throughout the day and should work well as the biggest rapids or at the end so I’ll be able to renourish right after the biggest calorie burn. 

THANKS!

Ya, just to be clear, the three meals recommendation is sort of a blanket statement that should work for most people. You would be what we fondly call an "outlier" who would have to assess their own unique situation and adapt accordingly. The high majority of people doing this program aren't in highly active jobs 8 hours/day. For the people that are, you need to eat more in order to fuel that lifestyle. :) 

Idk why but I have found that adding MCT oil to my morning tea or coffee to be very helpful in keeping my energy level up. I am considering adding a bit more to my afternoon tea to keep that afternoon lull from happening and see what happens. 

Archived